Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Used kite exploded in front of me and seller

Forum for kitesurfers
DariKite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Kite: 12mt Liquid Force WOW ; 9mt Cabrinha SwitchBlade
Board: Cabrinha Ace ; Wainmann Hawaii Passport 5'7" ; F-One Mitu Pro Convertible 2016 (Hydrofoil/Surf)
Brand Affiliation: None

Used kite exploded in front of me and seller

Postby DariKite » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:41 am

Today I met with the seller of a 2013 Weinmann Hawaii Smoke (9m) kite. The kite seemed in very good condition. No repairs, pinholes, nor damage whatsoever other than a patch on the leading edge done to cover up a slit done to remove the bladder.

As the seller inflated the kite we heard a BANG! Supposedly he spotted where the bladder punctured and said it was the same spot where he had fixed the bladder last time. Is this possible? Is it normal for the bladder to explode or puncture at the same spot?

I haven’t paid for the kite yet but I feel disappointed since he’s selling it for $200 USD bar included and all the canopy seems to be in really good condition. Not a single pin hole or slit anywhere.

He said he would send it to a shop to repair it but how long should I expect the kite to fly without another puncture happening again? Is it true that this kite doesn’t have an opening to remove the bladder anywhere? Do you need to slice and patch the LE to remove the bladder?

If I wanted to buy a new bladder, can I buy a generic one or do I have to buy the original from the manufacturer? How much is a new, original bladder from the manufacturer or a generic one?

I also saw that one of the pulleys was a little stuck and the bridle on that side slightly frayed. Would I be able to buy a new pulley and bridle for this old kite? How much would that cost and is it hard to install that?

Everything else seemed fine. The seller said the inflation system it’s kind of a pain since the struts need to be inflated separately and the LE valve has a ball that you need to keep from shooting itself inside the bladder.

Does anyone know these kites? What else should I be aware of?

GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Re: Used kite exploded in front of me and seller

Postby GTC » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:58 am

Something similar happened to me few months ago. Just when the seller finished inflating his Wainman Rabbit (7.5m) we heard that the LE valve was leaking (my Smoke 9m had the same problem).
He offered me to send the kite to a repair shop but instead I bought the kite with some discount. I fixed it by myself with some cheap glue and 1 hour of work.
Wainmans are very tough and well built (except the issues with valves), yet are very fun to fly. Its low end is good and its high end is impressive. My 9m starts at 16kt and I can hold it up to 35kt.
My advice is buy it if you can find a bladder replacement or if you can fix it by yourself.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:47 am

You just saved $200!

MacroPip
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Style: Freeride, Waves
Gear: Some kites and a few boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby MacroPip » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:54 am

DariKite wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:41 am
No repairs, pinholes, nor damage whatsoever other than a patch on the leading edge done to cover up a slit done to remove the bladder.
Run away. All inflatable kites have access in 3 places. There's an access zipper usually in the middle of the leading edge near the inflation point, and the wingtips open up as well. I'd look elsewhere, god knows what else the seller has done. Sounds like a fabric repair, bladder repair, potentially new bridles and pulleys, probably need a new bar or lines if the bridles are in that condition. By the end of it, you'll probably be $500-700 invested in it. Plenty of other deals about in the 9m range.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:23 am

LOL. I mean come on. Yes sure. If he used too much glue it can create pretty rough edges, then once pumped up it goes pop.

To be honest. A kite will always be worth $200. If it is with bar and the rest of the kite is good, it is still worth $200. But do you really want to ride that? Kites today is very different from 2013 IMO.

A guy in Hawaii tried to sell his kite. The canopy was so brittle that literally all of us said he should not sell it. So the buyer comes to score a deal and the says the canopy seems a but worn. The guy goes "Oh no is has tons of life in it", before he aims to slap it casually...well his hand goes through the canopy and makes a good hole. The guy says no problem we'll stick a bit of tape on it, and it is good as new. The buyer ended up buying the kite....

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:02 am

A new LE bladder costs 120 USD or something like that I think. I would look elsewhere. And save up some more money to buy a decent, more recent kite in good condition. It's an expensive sport, so be prepared to splash some cash or find a cheaper hobby.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:35 am

It is not the blastic bladder holding the kite shape. It is just there for air tightness. What is important is the LE/strut fabric. Because bladder will fill and pressurize the LE/strut-fabric from inside to make the shape and rigidness. If fabric is weak, bladder with pressure will find weakest spot->tear and bang..

So if the fabric gives up the bladder will burst. Not the other-way round (usually). Usually meaning that sure inside the fabric there might be sand or debris which will puncture the bladder (first by sanding it weaker or causing sand grain to act as a pressure point aka 'needle' ). If patch seam is too hard/elevated too much could cause pressure point. But in theory patches should be on pressure-side, inside the kite LE fabric.

So if there are additional patches on LE or strut fabric I'd stay away from the kite because I want to kite - not fixing kites. Canopy patches are ok if well done.

Kykeon
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: .
Brand Affiliation: $iemens

Postby Kykeon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:40 am

Man, what else do you need in order to avoid it?

God gave you the the most spectacular sign he could... It exploded!
How much more interventional do you need him to be?

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:33 am

+1

Strekke wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:02 am
A new LE bladder costs 120 USD or something like that I think. I would look elsewhere. And save up some more money to buy a decent, more recent kite in good condition. It's an expensive sport, so be prepared to splash some cash or find a cheaper hobby.

kitekook77
Rare Poster
Gear: 2023 North Orbits
Has thanked: 0

Postby kitekook77 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:56 am

I would tell the seller to go F&$k himself! He is trying to blow smoke up your ass. :kiss:

Return to “Kitesurfing”