Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Super simple very minimal bar/chicken loop system

Forum for kitesurfers
rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0

Super simple very minimal bar/chicken loop system

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:29 pm

Wow, this really is a minimalist system here!

https://youtu.be/PjIl46kaxC8

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Super simple very minimal bar/chicken loop system

Postby matth » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:41 pm

So how does it flag when you release?

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:44 pm

I've already tried connecting trim lines directly to my Cab QR but in the end decided to sacrifice about 5cm/2" so as to able to make the QR easily detachable for maintenance.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:37 pm

matth wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:41 pm
So how does it flag when you release?
It does not flag, since there is no flag line to attach to one center line. Pulling the safety would be full disconnect... it is super simple but I would add a cleat and probably a flag line.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:06 am

problem with that system is if the bar is jammed against the qr you are screwed. for instance if a wave eats you and the chicken line wraps around the bar (no floaters so this makes it easier to happen) you can't push away the qr because there's no room. The control bar is jammed against the qr and you are now in a powered death loop with no way out. he needs to put a stopper right above his qr to make it safer. 1 inch stopper is probably enough. I don't think he's ever been in a chicken loop wrap deathloop otherwise he would add a stopper and some floats in the leaders. would be quite minimal but a lot safer. I would also use a flag out line. I like the option of flagging the kite instead of full release because you don't want to kill someone downwind of you. I like minimal gear as much as anyone but I would never ride a bar pared down this far.

if you ride solo so there's never anyone downwind and you never drop the kite and you never get eaten by a huge wave then sure this bar is fine. I see this as a hydrofoil only control bar.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
alford (Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:07 am)
Rating: 3.03%

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:34 pm

edt wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:06 am
problem with that system is if the bar is jammed against the qr you are screwed. for instance if a wave eats you and the chicken line wraps around the bar (no floaters so this makes it easier to happen) you can't push away the qr because there's no room. The control bar is jammed against the qr and you are now in a powered death loop with no way out. he needs to put a stopper right above his qr to make it safer. 1 inch stopper is probably enough.
A 1 inch stopper is exactly what I have.
I don't think he's ever been in a chicken loop wrap deathloop otherwise he would add a stopper and some floats in the leaders. would be quite minimal but a lot safer. I would also use a flag out line. I like the option of flagging the kite instead of full release because you don't want to kill someone downwind of you. I like minimal gear as much as anyone but I would never ride a bar pared down this far,
Me neither, the ability to flag out is essential.
if you ride solo so there's never anyone downwind and you never drop the kite and you never get eaten by a huge wave then sure this bar is fine. I see this as a hydrofoil only control bar.
It's a potential suicide bar.

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby Flyfish » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:32 pm

Sweet! Excellent job. I've been searching for that type of simple release for quite some time.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:36 pm

No flag line seems crazy to me. Your only option is ..good bye kite?

matth
Very Frequent Poster

Postby matth » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:38 pm

edt wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:06 am
problem with that system is if the bar is jammed against the qr you are screwed. for instance if a wave eats you and the chicken line wraps around the bar (no floaters so this makes it easier to happen) you can't push away the qr because there's no room. The control bar is jammed against the qr and you are now in a powered death loop with no way out. he needs to put a stopper right above his qr to make it safer. 1 inch stopper is probably enough. I don't think he's ever been in a chicken loop wrap deathloop otherwise he would add a stopper and some floats in the leaders. would be quite minimal but a lot safer. I would also use a flag out line. I like the option of flagging the kite instead of full release because you don't want to kill someone downwind of you. I like minimal gear as much as anyone but I would never ride a bar pared down this far.

Maybe a Core style twist release could solve that problem without losing bar distance.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:34 pm

A nice little bit of home engineering but I really can’t see the point! Modern bar / trim systems work very well and really don’t get in the way - why make a system with no safety apart from losing the kite???

Return to “Kitesurfing”