Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Switch Lineup

Postby WindJunkieFL » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:06 pm

GTC wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:43 pm
WindJunkieFL wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:21 am
Since you mentioned the kite has been hardly used and is very new, getting replacement bladders isn't that good of a deal to me. If the kite is pretty new (less than a year), I'd want a shipping label to send the kite back for repair at no cost out of my pocket. On the few occasions I've dealt with kite bladders, it has been a pure pain in the ass. You may be more savvy with that kind of thing, so perhaps no big deal. For me, I'd ask for a new kite or for them to do the repairs. Glad it's working out one way or another mate
:o :o Are you serious? My kite was almost new (3 sessions) and I was more than happy to receive a full set of bladders. It took me less than an hour to locate the leak and change the entire leading edge bladder. And now I have spares for 5 struts (new) and one leading edge, which I repaired with some glue.
It would have been a hassle to send the kite to repair something as simple as this.
To each their own. Disassembling valves, removing bladders, spraying water trying to find leaks, then reassembly...if you would rather spend your time doing all of that versus sending it back, I'm sure Switch is delighted to service you. For me, the only times I've worked on bladders has been a time consuming and monotonous process that was frustrating all around.

Donniehall14
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Point/Princeton Point, Robinson's Island
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8M Takoon Chrono
10M Ocean Rodeo Razor
12 Switch Nitro

Postby Donniehall14 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:10 am

hajvar wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:11 pm
unnamed.jpg

Got an email today:
The new Krypto is coming September 25th.

Description below:

"Krypto Q & A
Sizes
8m, 9m, 10m, 12m, 14m
What style of kite is the Krypto?
Freestyle/ Wakestyle/ Airstyle
Key design features?
4 line bridle Mid to high aspect 5 strut C kite. (can be converted to 5 line)
Is the Krypto the new Legacy?
It's the legacy and more.The all-important pop, line slack, stability have all been maintained or improved but where the Krypto really stands apart from the legacy is in speed, turning, looping. This gives the Krypto a split personality. You can rock your freestyle game better than any and when the wind cranks up no need to change down, just take your game to the sky and boost some serious airstyle.This is why we changed the name. The Krypto has a lot more to offer than just freestyle.
Is the Krypto for me?
If you've ever wanted to get into Freestyle but didn't want to ride a one trick pony C kite the Krypto is for you. The Krypto bridges the gap between the freeride boosting everyone enjoys through to advanced freestyle/wakestyle.
Bridle vs 5th line
Bridle - Faster loops, smoother depower, easier control, simple 4 line setup.5th Line - Classic C kite feel, More line slack, more power in the loop.
More information coming soon.Check out Marc Jacobs Instagram or Facebook to see little vids of the Krypto during testing.

"
This is making it difficult to decide what kite to buy next. I currently have a 12m Nitro6 and a 10m Best TS, but may replace my 10m. Not sure if I go for another Nitro, try an E6, or wait to see he reviews on the Krypto. I don't surf, mainly ride twin tip, and mainly like boosting big and doing hooked tricks. I would like to get into some unhooking, but nothing crazy. I love my TS, and they are on for a good deal now, but the future of the company looks sketchy.

hajvar
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach, NY
Gilgo Beach
Robert Moses
Democrat Point
Tobay
Gear: 2016 Naish Park HD 7m-9m-12m
Switchkites Legacy 2 12m
Tona Flow 140 x 43.3
Ronix Park Boots
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby hajvar » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:30 pm

This might help or not...
https://switchkites.com/compare-kites

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:31 pm

How is the legacy in waves?

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:46 pm

Do-it wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:31 pm
I took my 10 out in the waves once, because I forgot my wavekites and my 14 and was too underpowerd with the TT.

Well, it's a wakestyle specific kite and not a wavekite offcourse, so don't expect fast response, but once you got it turning the speed is acceptable. Does produce some power so mind your stance. Relaunch is horrible in the waves, so don't drop it. The drift is surprisingly good though, for a 5-strut. Again, no wavekite by any means, but it doesn't tend to fall forwards or backwards. Upwind and stability are very good, comparable to an Edge (yes, really)

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:54 pm

Faxie wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:46 pm
Do-it wrote:
I took my 10 out in the waves once, because I forgot my wavekites and my 14 and was too underpowerd with the TT.

Well, it's a wakestyle specific kite and not a wavekite offcourse, so don't expect fast response, but once you got it turning the speed is acceptable. Does produce some power so mind your stance. Relaunch is horrible in the waves, so don't drop it. The drift is surprisingly good though, for a 5-strut. Again, no wavekite by any means, but it doesn't tend to fall forwards or backwards. Upwind and stability are very good, comparable to an Edge (yes, really)
Thanks, I love my older Vegas and or razor in the waves. I’ve tried a few wave kites( north & slingshot) but I felt like I had no power. How would you compare legacy to Vegas or razor?

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:15 pm

Do-it wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:54 pm
Faxie wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:46 pm
Do-it wrote:

Thanks, I love my older Vegas and or razor in the waves. I’ve tried a few wave kites( north & slingshot) but I felt like I had no power. How would you compare legacy to Vegas or razor?
Superior in every way except turning speed and response. Razor relaunches better offcourse.

I don't fly with 5th line btw. Relaunch should be a lot better that way.

I don't recommend buying it as a wavekite btw. Think you'll like the new Element better, you won't feel underpowerd.

SimonP
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rotorua Lakes, Maketu, NZ
Favorite Beaches: Aotea, Maroochydore, Faro, Aitutaki
Style: Foiling, free-style, waves
Gear: J-shapes foil, Switch kites, Underground twintips, misc surfboards.

Postby SimonP » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:31 pm

Do-it wrote:
I used to use my Legacies quite a lot in waves until I bought a dedicated wave kite. The plus is that upwind is excellent and board speed is higher than a wave kite. However, they don't drift well; although the 8m is really strong wind is actually OK. You can loop the kite to keep it up but these are powerful and can pull you off if riding strapless. Relaunch in waves would be terrible, but I can't remember ever dropping them in the surf. Rolling a 5 line kite in the surf is potentially destructive. You can have a lot of fun but they aren't so good for genuine down the line wave riding.

Rojbrown
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Lake Mojave boat launch
Favorite Beaches: Lake Mohave AZ
SPI
Union Island
Style: Intermediate surf/beginner foil
Gear: Switch Helium 8/12/16
Hyperlink V1 12

Postby Rojbrown » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:29 am

Update: New bladders arrived in just three days. Included was awhole set. Only needed a new strut bladder. A+ in support. To WindJunkie's point it took me just 15-20 min to swap the strut bladder but........ugh! getting the valve to re-seat in the strut was/is a major PITA! I'll ask the warranty dept for suggestions and am open to feedback here. I've replaced bladders and this swap from a "seating" perspective was/is a cluster-f***. Help!

Rojbrown
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Lake Mojave boat launch
Favorite Beaches: Lake Mohave AZ
SPI
Union Island
Style: Intermediate surf/beginner foil
Gear: Switch Helium 8/12/16
Hyperlink V1 12

Postby Rojbrown » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:39 am

FYI the "old" bladder had a faulty seal/glue point between the bladder and valve....gapping actually

Return to “Kitesurfing”