The Stiffy is for the Woo guys 😉

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Is Wakestyle dead?

Postby edt » Wed May 09, 2018 2:57 pm

I forgive you doing a stiffie when you have a woo. If you got a woo, you got to woost. For everyone else . . . . If you don't have a stopper, don't do a deadman, you'll only stiffie and then we all suffer. I took all the stoppers off my control bars because they suck. If only I had a microloop . . . ah well.

JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby JustAGirl » Wed May 09, 2018 9:15 pm

I lost this thread for a while... saw Starsly posting & shut it down... he‘s never helpful, just a cocky show off. Anyway, now I‘m all caught up... Csn someone explain to me please how we moved from discussing disciplines to marketing? And why? The leap went over my blond head... A company that’s in it for the money doesn’t last... you have to have passion, be inventive, intelligent & willing to take risks, not be a slave to the lowest common denominator, i.e. training minions ... oh and you have to stay sexy in this sport... personality counts

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed May 09, 2018 9:22 pm

I am pretty sure there's nothing more to talk about so . . . go off topic am I right?

I think to be successful in business the number 1 thing you need is work. Instead of 40 hours a week you work 100 or more. Second thing you need is to count beans. Figure out what sells what doesn't, halt production of stuff that doesn't work and produce more of stuff that does. Imagination creativity and soul are surely important but come far below sweat. Anyone can have a damn good idea. It's work that turns the ideas into physical form. The amount of times I have heard someone tell me how great their idea for a business was, but never wanted to work hard to make it happen? Close to infinite. Creativity has to be the most over rated thing in human endeavors while hard work is the most under rated.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed May 09, 2018 9:52 pm

Interesting discussion. Does anyone has life anymore? Do you ever live for yourself, and not trying to be #1 in whatever? Do you need to race and come first? Do you need to jump most complicated trick better than anyone else? Is it not enough pleasure to hang out and ride and get inspired and inspire others? Are you hungry and need to compete for food? Are you alone and you need to compete for a partner? Are you angry and want to prove others they're wrong? Are you living in 3'rd world and need to work a year to save for a washing machine? Do you need a mansion to live in? What's that dividing power that doesn't let you enjoy life as is - simple, relaxed, joyful? There're 7.5 billion people on the planet, there's someone who has a bigger d!ck, heck even some ladies do, they just don't measure that in public....

JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada

Postby JustAGirl » Wed May 09, 2018 10:21 pm

edt wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:22 pm
I am pretty sure there's nothing more to talk about so . . . go off topic am I right?

I think to be successful in business the number 1 thing you need is work. Instead of 40 hours a week you work 100 or more. Second thing you need is to count beans. Figure out what sells what doesn't, halt production of stuff that doesn't work and produce more of stuff that does. Imagination creativity and soul are surely important but come far below sweat. Anyone can have a damn good idea. It's work that turns the ideas into physical form. The amount of times I have heard someone tell me how great their idea for a business was, but never wanted to work hard to make it happen? Close to infinite. Creativity has to be the most over rated thing in human endeavors while hard work is the most under rated.
What you are describing is mediocrity & we have a world full of mediocre plastic trash... not sure we need anymore beancounters & Bad products & a growing mountain of trash.

You are confusing passion for detail, the steady buildup of traditional skill and knowledge with mediocre survival ... Two different things.

I don’t know about you, but I never settle for stuff.

Wakestyle has its merits, it will always be part of the traditional store of skills, it’s certainly admirable in its own right, but it’s not the standard for all disciplines, that’s a ridiculous claim. Besides, standards change & usually it’s the creative types that change them... creativity requires mastery of the current standard, it’s not as easy as edt Imagines, but it also goes beyond them... so, I‘m glad Aaron & Lewis are holding up the standard in wakestyle, but it’s going to change, it’s inevitable. I‘m curious what they do next. The scale measuring technique and creativity is a very fine one: when technique tips over into creativity, a new standard is born & you better keep up... Wakestyle is stagnating at the moment so I‘m curious what they do next.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed May 09, 2018 10:28 pm

JustAGirl wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:21 pm
...Wakestyle is stagnating at the moment so I‘m curious what they do next.
they would wake behind a boat more or foil more promoting what sells so wake/foil manufacturers pay them - just doing proriders' job.
Last edited by grigorib on Wed May 09, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed May 09, 2018 10:29 pm

what's next? Megaloop Boardoff ;-)

hajvar
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach, NY
Gilgo Beach
Robert Moses
Democrat Point
Tobay
Gear: 2016 Naish Park HD 7m-9m-12m
Switchkites Legacy 2 12m
Tona Flow 140 x 43.3
Ronix Park Boots

Postby hajvar » Wed May 09, 2018 11:39 pm

Gear is becoming more expensive.
Now consider wakestyle:
- Board (700 usd in average)
- Boots (300 usd in average for a good pair of Ronix or similar)
- Wakestyle specific kites (Bridle C or C) that are way more difficult to resale....

Versus buying a surfboard with a cross over kite like Neo or Pivot that resales easily and can be used in a wide range of conditions, even for foiling.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Thu May 10, 2018 2:14 am

I went to the random sentence generator
The craft prosecutes beside a diagram. Your sympathetic bridge punts near an obvious accountant. An older framework births the compelling purpose. The inquiring scandal apologizes on top of a staggering chorus. A binding touch lifts up the systematic mandate. The incorporating tax covers an initiate. Before the reactor hums the mandatory exposure. Why won't the bench avoid a ghost? The scratched venture chords the undesirable disgust.
I compared it to this
What you are describing is mediocrity & we have a world full of mediocre plastic trash... not sure we need anymore beancounters & Bad products & a growing mountain of trash. You are confusing passion for detail, the steady buildup of traditional skill and knowledge with mediocre survival ... Two different things. I don’t know about you, but I never settle for stuff. Wakestyle has its merits, it will always be part of the traditional store of skills, it’s certainly admirable in its own right, but it’s not the standard for all disciplines, that’s a ridiculous claim. Besides, standards change & usually it’s the creative types that change them... creativity requires mastery of the current standard, it’s not as easy as edt Imagines, but it also goes beyond them... so, I‘m glad Aaron & Lewis are holding up the standard in wakestyle, but it’s going to change, it’s inevitable. I‘m curious what they do next. The scale measuring technique and creativity is a very fine one: when technique tips over into creativity, a new standard is born & you better keep up... Wakestyle is stagnating at the moment so I‘m curious what they do next.
Maybe I am too stupid, but the first one I kind of get the meaning, the second one no idea.

Return to “Kitesurfing”