Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

OR drysuit leaky seam

Forum for kitesurfers
knot_moving
Frequent Poster
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:13 am
Gear: 9m, 13m bandit 3, SS Turbine,
Underground FLX 138, Sector V2 60, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: NW Florida
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

OR drysuit leaky seam

Postby knot_moving » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:14 pm

Small leak in outer leg seam of my 4 yr old Heat drysuit. Thinking of using aqua seal. Anyone have good howvto experience with this sort of fix?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1049
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:44 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NewBrighton beach-Derby pool end,Wallasey, near Liverpool for 6 months in summer
Flag beach on fuerteventura for 6 months in winter.
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach fuerteventura, off season/6months
Home - NewBrighton,Rhosneigr, Ainsdale, Fleetwood, Newbrough
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Groove Skate 120,carbon 2020 edition
101cm + 82cm Moses Carbon masts
Moses- 633/483 on a 701 fuse
Ozone Hyperlink V1 ultra light 5mtr
Ozone V2 Hyperlink 7mtr + 9mtr
Ozone Chrono V3 UL foil kites - 9 +11mtr
Ozone compact V4 bars,click in,23 mtr lines
duotone click bar 2020
massive grin
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 164 times

Re: OR drysuit leaky seam

Postby Foil » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:57 pm

I have used Aqua seal for this sort of repair, works great but ensure you use the sealing gel only on the inside of the suit as it not only looks naf on the outside bat the edges of the gel can lift slightly and get sand grains underneath, also cleaning the area with alcohol wipes to thoroughly remove any contaminates will help.
the repair should last the life of the suit.
works great on wet suits and winter gloves as well. :thumb:

User avatar
deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 773
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:40 pm
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: Ozone, Core
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: OR drysuit leaky seam

Postby deniska » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:25 pm

if you need to locate the leaks, just turn the suit inside out, plug the leg/arm gaskets with polandspring (or any plastic) water bottles, put in the bathtub and fill with water. Mark the wet spots with permanent marker. Dry the suit. Apply aquaseal.. And you are done.

User avatar
ORSales
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: OR drysuit leaky seam

Postby ORSales » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:40 pm

knot_moving wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:14 pm
Small leak in outer leg seam of my 4 yr old Heat drysuit. Thinking of using aqua seal. Anyone have good howvto experience with this sort of fix?
Aqua Seal is great. Use sparingly (and re-test) as it hardens when dry and so you want to use a min amount needed.

If you're looking to also spiff the suit up a bit as you're at it, consider re-DWR coating the suit. McNett makes a great spray on product. DWR coating will improve breathability and cut down on "damp" spots where water is clogging the suit's pores.

JZ

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:25 pm
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: OR drysuit leaky seam

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:11 am

ORSales wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:40 pm
knot_moving wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:14 pm
Small leak in outer leg seam of my 4 yr old Heat drysuit. Thinking of using aqua seal. Anyone have good howvto experience with this sort of fix?
Aqua Seal is great. Use sparingly (and re-test) as it hardens when dry and so you want to use a min amount needed.

If you're looking to also spiff the suit up a bit as you're at it, consider re-DWR coating the suit. McNett makes a great spray on product. DWR coating will improve breathability and cut down on "damp" spots where water is clogging the suit's pores.

JZ
Any tips for re applying DWR. The Ocean Rodeo website (used to?) recommend Nikwax DWR but I haven't rated it as a product as it seems to barely last a session. Have you noticed McNetts to be longer lasting? My only concern about trying it is that they talk about 'Heat setting' the DWR with a tumble dryer which I'm less happy to try due to the latex seals a drysuit has that a waterproof jacket doesn't have.

Any other tips?

User avatar
ORSales
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: OR drysuit leaky seam

Postby ORSales » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:04 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:11 am
ORSales wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:40 pm
knot_moving wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:14 pm
Small leak in outer leg seam of my 4 yr old Heat drysuit. Thinking of using aqua seal. Anyone have good howvto experience with this sort of fix?
Aqua Seal is great. Use sparingly (and re-test) as it hardens when dry and so you want to use a min amount needed.

If you're looking to also spiff the suit up a bit as you're at it, consider re-DWR coating the suit. McNett makes a great spray on product. DWR coating will improve breathability and cut down on "damp" spots where water is clogging the suit's pores.

JZ
Any tips for re applying DWR. The Ocean Rodeo website (used to?) recommend Nikwax DWR but I haven't rated it as a product as it seems to barely last a session. Have you noticed McNetts to be longer lasting? My only concern about trying it is that they talk about 'Heat setting' the DWR with a tumble dryer which I'm less happy to try due to the latex seals a drysuit has that a waterproof jacket doesn't have.

Any other tips?
We've always simply recommended that people use the spray on DWR coating (McNett or Nikwax) and then hang to dry. I would not suggest putting your suit in the dryer! (Also, we still have a "maintenance" section at the bottom of each of our suit pages :thumb: )

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:25 pm
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: OR drysuit leaky seam

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:09 am

Thanks. I'll give the McNett coating a try.

A slightly damp base layer is still better and warmer when you get changed at the end of the day than peeling off a wetsuit.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andylc, Bing [Bot], Dave_5280, Google [Bot], grigorib, knotwindy and 13 guests