knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck
Brand Affiliation: None

OR drysuit leaky seam

Postby knot_moving » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:14 pm

Small leak in outer leg seam of my 4 yr old Heat drysuit. Thinking of using aqua seal. Anyone have good howvto experience with this sort of fix?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Re: OR drysuit leaky seam

Postby Foil » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:57 pm

I have used Aqua seal for this sort of repair, works great but ensure you use the sealing gel only on the inside of the suit as it not only looks naf on the outside bat the edges of the gel can lift slightly and get sand grains underneath, also cleaning the area with alcohol wipes to thoroughly remove any contaminates will help.
the repair should last the life of the suit.
works great on wet suits and winter gloves as well. :thumb:

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:25 pm

if you need to locate the leaks, just turn the suit inside out, plug the leg/arm gaskets with polandspring (or any plastic) water bottles, put in the bathtub and fill with water. Mark the wet spots with permanent marker. Dry the suit. Apply aquaseal.. And you are done.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:40 pm

knot_moving wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:14 pm
Small leak in outer leg seam of my 4 yr old Heat drysuit. Thinking of using aqua seal. Anyone have good howvto experience with this sort of fix?
Aqua Seal is great. Use sparingly (and re-test) as it hardens when dry and so you want to use a min amount needed.

If you're looking to also spiff the suit up a bit as you're at it, consider re-DWR coating the suit. McNett makes a great spray on product. DWR coating will improve breathability and cut down on "damp" spots where water is clogging the suit's pores.

JZ

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:11 am

ORSales wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:40 pm
knot_moving wrote:
Aqua Seal is great. Use sparingly (and re-test) as it hardens when dry and so you want to use a min amount needed.

If you're looking to also spiff the suit up a bit as you're at it, consider re-DWR coating the suit. McNett makes a great spray on product. DWR coating will improve breathability and cut down on "damp" spots where water is clogging the suit's pores.

JZ
Any tips for re applying DWR. The Ocean Rodeo website (used to?) recommend Nikwax DWR but I haven't rated it as a product as it seems to barely last a session. Have you noticed McNetts to be longer lasting? My only concern about trying it is that they talk about 'Heat setting' the DWR with a tumble dryer which I'm less happy to try due to the latex seals a drysuit has that a waterproof jacket doesn't have.

Any other tips?

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:04 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:11 am
ORSales wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:40 pm
knot_moving wrote:

JZ
Any tips for re applying DWR. The Ocean Rodeo website (used to?) recommend Nikwax DWR but I haven't rated it as a product as it seems to barely last a session. Have you noticed McNetts to be longer lasting? My only concern about trying it is that they talk about 'Heat setting' the DWR with a tumble dryer which I'm less happy to try due to the latex seals a drysuit has that a waterproof jacket doesn't have.

Any other tips?
We've always simply recommended that people use the spray on DWR coating (McNett or Nikwax) and then hang to dry. I would not suggest putting your suit in the dryer! (Also, we still have a "maintenance" section at the bottom of each of our suit pages :thumb: )

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:09 am

Thanks. I'll give the McNett coating a try.

A slightly damp base layer is still better and warmer when you get changed at the end of the day than peeling off a wetsuit.

Return to “Kitesurfing”