Kite Tech Tips: Brummel Splice

Forum for kitesurfers
OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Kite Tech Tips: Brummel Splice

Postby OzBungy » Sat May 01, 2021 8:04 am

watercamper wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:48 am
The only question I had was does the inversion (twist) do anything to weaken the lines? ...
You're supposed to pass the tail back through the line before you do the bury to get rid of the twist. I'm not sure it matters all that much. Lines are generally so over strength that they're unlikely to break because of a little twist. Until, of course, it does.

There's two problems with Brummel splices. The main one is you can't adjust the length. Once you've made it you're stuck with it. You can accurately measure and make two things the same. You can't make a new Brummel splice to match an existing line (unless you do a heap of tests to work out how much you have to adjust your measurements to compensate for the line consumed in the splice.) A simple eye splice can be slipped along until it's exactly the same length.

On thicker rope the bit from the pass through to the bury sticks out too much. It's really ugly and takes up space.
Last edited by OzBungy on Sat May 01, 2021 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Herman » Sat May 01, 2021 10:18 am

^^+1. Remove inversion etc. It matters if operating near working load capacity imho.

I sow with polyester V69 sail thread and do not use knots. I do bury long ends, just under a needle length, to start and finish the stitching. I prefer to make a Brummell without inverting the line whenever I have access to both ends just don’t go mad pulling through to avoid any heat damage. I generally don’t use Brummell in thin flying line as I want all the strength available and use a full bury. I also do not pull the stitching very tight. Works for me but have not run any comparison tests.

For finger in the air guess work, Brummell loses ~10% strength and a Brummell without bury would brake at 50% of line strength................. but that is just guessing!!!

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Gear: Lieuwe Shotguns
Ozone Enduro V2s
Duotone Fish
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby iriejohn » Sat May 01, 2021 6:41 pm

Whatever the splice, Brummel or classic, I always put a few stitches of 0.5mm whipping twine to be sure the tail doesn't move. Just takes a few seconds.

It's also interesting to note that locked rope loops can be created using Brummel splices.

Return to “Kitesurfing”