Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Kitesurfing Inside World Sailing is Illegal

Postby Toby » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:19 pm

No, no impact at all.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:37 pm

There actually is a big impact.

An examples is losing control of your sport to sailing entities including them influencing rules and regulations in law ( of your sport) in your country. This may include maritime regulation, your ability to get lessons and your freedom to even kite.

it already happened in nz. There are very few instructors left, new regulation charges $2500 a year audit to them... they are nearly all out of business now the regulators said.... consider joining a sailing club to train youth or we will prosecute. crazy...

many might not care but since ika and world sailing came on the scene there are no pros making a living any more that makes it worthwhile competing.. competitions have inspired many riders... things gave really gone downhill. Even racing wise people i speak to are " wtf is going on here!?"

world sailing have threatened to take anyone to court who use the term world champion kiteboarder despite the fact that there have been world champion kireboarders for more than a decade befire they got involved in trying to steal kiteboarding.

ika/ world sailing talked of concentrating on youth development, poorer country and female participation years ago... one female rider from ALL of oceania showed up to qualify for the youth olympics. even in almost all of asia - 4 girls showed up.... 3 qualify... go figure

it's a massive $cam... and no one seems to give a s5hit...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:57 pm

I wonder what's the legal status...on what base can they sue you doing a world championship ?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:21 pm

cabrinha had to stop using the term for marketing liam when he won, he was pissed.... and rightly so.

RustyChain
Medium Poster
Gear: N/A
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby RustyChain » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:25 pm

since 1998 kiters have been refered to as pilots ... because they fly.. with a wing..
I don't know if you could rightly call the main "sail" on the Americas Cup boats a sail. It is ridged, AOA adjustable, and camber can be adjusted, all characteristics that closely resemble a modern aircraft wing.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:35 pm

Wings generate lift. Sails are for sideways traction.

Hydrofoils are wings tho.

This is exactly the kind of stuff that will come up if the court case goes ahead, skilled lawyers will be paid thousands to argue that not only is kiting sailing but downwind sup is in fact sailing too lol.

kiters dont use masts they use long lines, they are not helmsmen they are pilots, we dont use sails we use kites, we dont use a main sheet we use a bar, our kites are kites because they generare lift as do wings... they are kites because they are on long lines.

it's very interesting, it has got to the point now where there is a surf or freestyle comp ika sanctioned ( well ika failed at that didnt they - they no longer control wabes or freestyle) and they use a Race Officer to bief them... rediculous...

there are many similar claims you could make... eg skateboarding is in fact roller skating, rugby is football, snowboarding is skiing, suping is canoeing... the list goes on...

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:09 pm

Makes me wonder about humanity...

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:59 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:37 pm
There actually is a big impact.
I tend to agree with Toby - can't see how.

An examples is losing control of your sport to sailing entities including them influencing rules and regulations in law ( of your sport) in your country. This may include maritime regulation, your ability to get lessons and your freedom to even kite.
Hummm, I kite on the sea, come catch me!

it already happened in nz. There are very few instructors left, new regulation charges $2500 a year audit to them... they are nearly all out of business now the regulators said.... consider joining a sailing club to train youth or we will prosecute. crazy...

I'm sorry for your predicament, did NZ make this rule or was it some overpowering world law by these muppets?

many might not care but since ika and world sailing came on the scene there are no pros making a living any more that makes it worthwhile competing.. competitions have inspired many riders... things gave really gone downhill. Even racing wise people i speak to are " wtf is going on here!?"
No pros making a living? - really? I'm not a pro, so can't say I'm fussed.

world sailing have threatened to take anyone to court who use the term world champion kiteboarder despite the fact that there have been world champion kireboarders for more than a decade befire they got involved in trying to steal kiteboarding.
I'm never going to be a world champ, so again, not fussed. Just how many people would this affect = 4! Good job same doesn't apply in Boxing, there are more official bodies than I can keep up with.

ika/ world sailing talked of concentrating on youth development, poorer country and female participation years ago... one female rider from ALL of oceania showed up to qualify for the youth olympics. even in almost all of asia - 4 girls showed up.... 3 qualify... go figure
Nope. still not getting it! I think mainly due to lack of interest - sorry (again)

it's a massive $cam... and no one seems to give a s5hit...
I'm sure it is and I'm sure you're right.
We're all doomed! - Hands up Dads Army fans ;)

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:41 pm

yep we will keep on kiting, the days of pre ika/ world sailing were a lot more fun for many tho. i always liked competing and always have ( and watching), but not with these dangerous, clueless, intellectual property thief idiots involved.

i would like to help with some youth development personally, give something back, the average age of kiters goes up and up... but was told to join a sailing club.. rediculous

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:29 am

^
Maybe coz NZ is over regulated? We will watch carefully in here....

I do not think any kiter in EU is a member of any sailing club anywhere.

We are also forgetting snow kiting. Is this sailing as well, one would wonder? Snow is water, so all skiers and boarders are actually sailors !

The Winter Olympics is not. It is Sailing Olympics! What a Circus!

Return to “Kitesurfing”