Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone try the LiP Sunglasses (is Zeiss worth the extra $) ?

Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Anyone try the LiP Sunglasses (is Zeiss worth the extra $) ?

Postby Kamikuza » Thu May 03, 2018 3:08 am

OzBungy wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 1:50 am
If you rely on a headband you will lose your glasses. I have even had glasses come off from under a helmet (seriously not a fan of helmets).

The only way to be certain you won't lose your glasses is to leash them. I have used the zip puller for the wetsuit, which works ok. It's a pain when your glasses hang off behind you after a big crash. Chest/no zip suits don't have a puller.

I made an elastic and velcro neck leash and that worked very well. It's super secure and if designed properly will make the glasses less likely to come off in the first place. It needs to be releasable in the unlikely event that you are being strangled by your neck leash. The leash I made was a copy of the Kurtis leash.

Lips glasses come with a silicone neck leash. It should slip over your head, or break in an emergency. The Lips have never come off so I don't know how robust it is.

Of course, if you're wearing sunglasses then you should be wearing a hat that will help retain your glasses. After years of messing about I think I finally have the hat thing wired.
Lost my last pair of glasses when the knot on the wetsuit zipper leash came undone :D

I have a pair of v1 720-armour Sharks that have a long string leash. I attach that to one of those scammy power balance necklace things cos it's soft and clips easily.

Now, my Sun Dog glasses I just use the strap with, cos I want to lose them so I want an excuse to buy new ones, but haven't managed to yet :D

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby iriejohn » Thu May 03, 2018 9:00 am

OzBungy wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 1:54 am
iriejohn wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:40 pm
I use Seaspecs (or similar, obviously made in the same factory). After each time I use them I rinse them with diluted washing up liquid. Then just before I next use them I use Oceanic anti-fog spray. I tie the strap to a loop around my neck so that if they come off I don't lose them. Works for me.
I did the same thing and did extensive comparisons between the Lips and the Seaspecs. When they work Seaspecs (and others) are just fine. I always had days where the Seaspecs just didn't work. Water would sheet across the lenses, and/or dry into great smears of salt and muck.

The Lips Typhoons are not perfect, but at their worst they're still at least as good as a well cleaned, treated pair of other glasses. You get individual drops, sometimes quite a lot. But the space between the drops is clean and clear.
Send me a couple of pairs of Lip sunglasses and I'll do a comparative test to verify your results.

Thanks in advance. :-)

Romain jourdan
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Norway
Favorite Beaches: Sola stranda
Style: Freeride
Gear: Takoon
Crazy fly
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Romain jourdan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:57 pm

Here is a review of the Lip Typhoon:
https://www.windfoilzone.com/single-pos ... ses-review

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:52 pm

I switched from Kurtis when the went radio silent and looked for an alternative. Have not looked back, bought some for my girlfriend and some other friends have also jumped on board. I find the blue lenses to be the best (not too dark if it gets cloudy or later day) The clarity is amazing and once on the water I forget I even have them on because the wrap keeps frames out of line of view. I could not wear seaspecs for more than a few mins by comparison.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:11 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:00 am
OzBungy wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 1:54 am
iriejohn wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:40 pm
I use Seaspecs (or similar, obviously made in the same factory). After each time I use them I rinse them with diluted washing up liquid. Then just before I next use them I use Oceanic anti-fog spray. I tie the strap to a loop around my neck so that if they come off I don't lose them. Works for me.
I did the same thing and did extensive comparisons between the Lips and the Seaspecs. When they work Seaspecs (and others) are just fine. I always had days where the Seaspecs just didn't work. Water would sheet across the lenses, and/or dry into great smears of salt and muck.

The Lips Typhoons are not perfect, but at their worst they're still at least as good as a well cleaned, treated pair of other glasses. You get individual drops, sometimes quite a lot. But the space between the drops is clean and clear.
Send me a couple of pairs of Lip sunglasses and I'll do a comparative test to verify your results.

Thanks in advance. :-)
Since my last above post I have bought Lip Surge sunglasses which are very very good. The only problem is that they are not, like many sunglasses, not helmet (Gath Surf Convertible) friendly. So I cut the back of the sides off which hold the rear adjustable band, drilled retaining holes in the end of both arms, then fitted a rear adjustable loop. Works perfectly.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:17 am

So-ooo...

Took my beloved Sharks out for a foil at the beach, fairly heavy surf. Came off the board and got pounced on and tumbled by a big wave...

A bit later I was thinking, "damn the hydrophobic coating on these is better then I remembered. No drops on the lenses!"

Then reached up and poked myself in the eyes :(

The nose clip must have opened when I took the wave to the back of the head, and the lenses went swimming.

So back to my old faithful $40 Dirty Dogs. Or maybe they're called Sun Dogs. Whatever they are, they're cheap and reasonably effective and just won't give up...

gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard

Postby gator1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:02 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:17 am
So-ooo...

Took my beloved Sharks out for a foil at the beach, fairly heavy surf. Came off the board and got pounced on and tumbled by a big wave...

A bit later I was thinking, "damn the hydrophobic coating on these is better then I remembered. No drops on the lenses!"

Then reached up and poked myself in the eyes :(

The nose clip must have opened when I took the wave to the back of the head, and the lenses went swimming.

So back to my old faithful $40 Dirty Dogs. Or maybe they're called Sun Dogs. Whatever they are, they're cheap and reasonably effective and just won't give up...
Haha. I was considering Lip sunglasses but after a kiteloop gone wrong, slamming into the water and everything blew off my head. Couldn't find those black floating sunglasses again.

Return to “Kitesurfing”