Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone try the LiP Sunglasses (is Zeiss worth the extra $) ?

Forum for kitesurfers
alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: No brand affiliation
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anyone try the LiP Sunglasses (is Zeiss worth the extra $) ?

Postby alexeyga » Tue May 01, 2018 7:44 pm

Make sure to try them before ordering. They are made for narrower faces.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Tue May 01, 2018 9:36 pm

I agree that sunglasses are largely an overpriced marketing luxury item but there is a difference between the $10 Fleabay cheapos and a nice pair of Costas/Smiths in my experience. There is also huge differences in the quality of polarization. I bought a pair of $20 floater polarized glasses to kite with off of Amazon. They were ok, but I would get a headache if I had to wear them more than an hour. The clarity was shit, the lenses distorted really bad towards the nose piece and the polarization was a joke............so was the built in flotation bit. They were at best neutral, but slowly sank. JUNK

I buy Smith polarized off of Ebay for a fraction of the price. I put a bundle into my eyes to have 20/10 vision, I can pay $50 for a decent pair of sunglasses to protect them.

BTW.....some of the worst "quality" sunglasses that are marketed heavily towards the sports crowd are a company that rhymes with.......SCHMOAKLEY.

apollo4000
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber Sands
Favorite Beaches: Camber Sands, Greatstone, Minnis Bay, The Bluff, Marazion, Alcudia
Style: trying hard
Gear: Blade, North, Nomad, Shinn, Ocean Rodeo, Nobile, Airush, Slingshot, Crazyfly
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Tue May 01, 2018 10:26 pm

Bought a Typhoon pair. Came in a lovely case and with all sorts of bits. Tried them on a felt like an idiot wearing off the water as they are big. They’re not IMO cool around town. Wore them once on the water and found them a faff because all the worry. I still got water splashed all over them like any other sunglasses but they were great over the eyes, very nice lenses. In the end I sold them on eBay as they were just too good to treat they way kitesurfing sunglasses need to be treated. Now I get cheaper shades and don’t worry about it. Save yourself some money IMO.

Pana
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 7
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises.
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Silver Sands, Paracuru
Style: Smooth
Gear: Ozone Enduro 6-7-8-9-10-12-14
Nomad wave TT 140-40/ 143-42.5/ 153-43
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Pana » Wed May 02, 2018 2:36 am

I have a pair for 2 years now ( probably 100 + days of use). My eyes are quite sensitive to sun & spray so have tried a couple of brands. First year they were perfect. The hydrophobic capacity has reduced greatly the second year. I washed them often with commercial handsoap mind you. They are not small but cover well, I use them for spring skiing Also. Not a fashion but a spots article.

Bottom line I would by an other pair, but they need to be cared. Worth it IF you have sensitive eyes and/ or appreciate quality products and care for your eyes. Best I have had so far.

Cheers

bri7
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: Slingshot

Postby bri7 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:38 pm

no matter how much you spend you'll lose them, have them ripped off your head or have a lense pop out ;-)

JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada

Postby JustAGirl » Wed May 02, 2018 3:17 pm

I have to agree with everyone here. Quality UV protection is indispensable on the water, esp for the eyes, but the goggles are too cumbersome, aesthetically questionable & pretty useless in the wave & hardcore conditions/styles. What about UV protective contact lenses? Do they exist? I can ask the eye doc, & I’m pretty sure they can be ordered, but maybe someone here has experience w them & can share. Imagine they could save many a surfer’s eyes!

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Wed May 02, 2018 4:40 pm

I use Seaspecs (or similar, obviously made in the same factory). After each time I use them I rinse them with diluted washing up liquid. Then just before I next use them I use Oceanic anti-fog spray. I tie the strap to a loop around my neck so that if they come off I don't lose them. Works for me.

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019

Postby skideeppow » Wed May 02, 2018 4:50 pm

I have a pair, i was using the Kurtis Glasses before them. These stay on your face better and have a better lense.
I ran out of the Kurtis spray for his lenses and the glasses became useless. I tried to contact them for months with no luck.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu May 03, 2018 1:50 am

If you rely on a headband you will lose your glasses. I have even had glasses come off from under a helmet (seriously not a fan of helmets).

The only way to be certain you won't lose your glasses is to leash them. I have used the zip puller for the wetsuit, which works ok. It's a pain when your glasses hang off behind you after a big crash. Chest/no zip suits don't have a puller.

I made an elastic and velcro neck leash and that worked very well. It's super secure and if designed properly will make the glasses less likely to come off in the first place. It needs to be releasable in the unlikely event that you are being strangled by your neck leash. The leash I made was a copy of the Kurtis leash.

Lips glasses come with a silicone neck leash. It should slip over your head, or break in an emergency. The Lips have never come off so I don't know how robust it is.

Of course, if you're wearing sunglasses then you should be wearing a hat that will help retain your glasses. After years of messing about I think I finally have the hat thing wired.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu May 03, 2018 1:54 am

iriejohn wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:40 pm
I use Seaspecs (or similar, obviously made in the same factory). After each time I use them I rinse them with diluted washing up liquid. Then just before I next use them I use Oceanic anti-fog spray. I tie the strap to a loop around my neck so that if they come off I don't lose them. Works for me.
I did the same thing and did extensive comparisons between the Lips and the Seaspecs. When they work Seaspecs (and others) are just fine. I always had days where the Seaspecs just didn't work. Water would sheet across the lenses, and/or dry into great smears of salt and muck.

The Lips Typhoons are not perfect, but at their worst they're still at least as good as a well cleaned, treated pair of other glasses. You get individual drops, sometimes quite a lot. But the space between the drops is clean and clear.

Return to “Kitesurfing”