Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The end of IKA, GKA and World sailing ( involvement with kiting)?

Forum for kitesurfers
Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: The end of IKA, GKA and World sailing ( involvement with kiting)?

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:51 pm

james wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 10:46 pm
Buyer of patent goes to prison...

So? Doesn’t mean he can’t keep it.

As for touting that petition, what’s the goal? As in what’s the end game? The feel good once kiting has split even further?

Why promote division all for someone else’s financial gain, the IFKO ain’t a charity. Neither is world sailing but they don’t pretend to be.

All the people getting upset about this niche section of kiting wanting to be part of the Olympics, so what? Why is it so important that you stop them?
Seriously this. That petition was likely signed by people who have never hung out or gotten drunk/high with sailors; we're a lot of fun and throw the best parties in organized sport! Don't you people realize we all love going fast over water powered only by the wind? What's wrong with everyone that they can't find common cause in that?

And to Longwhitecloud...did you really post that you're upset WS is sponsoring and organizing events? Like, to find out that an international body is making this sport happen at the grass roots level makes you upset somehow?

That's the definition of being a sourpuss! :lol:

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed May 09, 2018 2:24 pm

Grass roots.. lol! what genetically modified to transform into a parasite that feeds off an already developed sport with piononeers ( even the inventor of your sport Bruno Leganeux doesnt agree with you) and a long history of its own pre world sailing.

I get my stoke from kiting just like you do. Enjoy your riding but this is certainly a sick joke:

“World Sailing is the world governing body of all forms of kiteboarding on the water”

The kite racers 0.005%?, the other kiters, the sailors... all pitched against each other for their own means while their sports participation suffer. It is kind of sad.

Toby nailed it... you can disguise it, lobby your views just as i do, but will still come down to money vs money... sad.

Do you know that World Sailing wanted kiting in the olympics to ensure increased advertising money via viewership numbers ( sailing was 7th least viewed olympic sport). They described kiting as an "urban sport" and paid a company to brainstorm ideas how they could mould kiting formats into more entertainment for those viewers. That is their proriority.
The latest talk is to get rid of formula kiting (foil) as an olympic proposal and for it to be a mixed sex triathlon event including convertable foil/twintip races(neil pryde crx? dont know of any others..) and waveriding. I 5hit you not.... clueless.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tiago1973 » Wed May 09, 2018 3:17 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:24 pm
Grass roots.. lol! what genetically modified to transform into a parasite that feeds off an already developed sport with piononeers ( even the inventor of your sport Bruno Leganeux doesnt agree with you) and a long history of its own pre world sailing.

I get my stoke from kiting just like you do. Enjoy your riding but this is certainly a sick joke:

“World Sailing is the world governing body of all forms of kiteboarding on the water”

The kite racers 0.005%?, the other kiters, the sailors... all pitched against each other for their own means while their sports participation suffer. It is kind of sad.

Toby nailed it... you can disguise it, lobby your views just as i do, but will still come down to money vs money... sad.

Do you know that World Sailing wanted kiting in the olympics to ensure increased advertising money via viewership numbers ( sailing was 7th least viewed olympic sport). They described kiting as an "urban sport" and paid a company to brainstorm ideas how they could mould kiting formats into more entertainment for those viewers. That is their proriority.
The latest talk is to get rid of formula kiting (foil) as an olympic proposal and for it to be a mixed sex triathlon event including convertable foil/twintip races(neil pryde crx? dont know of any others..) and waveriding. I 5hit you not.... clueless.
as there' much more money that will be spent. the question is where
Last edited by Tiago1973 on Wed May 09, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Wed May 09, 2018 7:38 pm

That latest talk you are testing on about was a dumb f*** “proposal” from US sailing

NOT world sailing, the IOC the IKA or anyone actually with a dog in the fight.

Tell me where, other than the terrifying IFkO propaganda machine are you getting your ‘facts’?

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Wed May 09, 2018 7:40 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:24 pm
So most kiters dont want this ( i understand why some of those having invested in kite racing with olympic potential do .. it has to be a very small number though), most sailors dont want this, and a sailing lawyer (opinion) says if you are using a board you are not sailing and therefore not under world sailing.

You couldnt make this 5hit up

(Personally I would add my argument/evidence too, to make it further removed from sailing than simply the use of a board making it not sailing.)

I'm actually going kiting , er sailing.. lol

I am going to unwrap my 25m long string mast from my tiller, inflate my sail, attach my body directly to my 25m string mast, carry my hull to the water and helm my way to partake in the expression sailing format (wtf!) of wavekiting. I hope not to capsize when i pull into a sick 6ft barrel so that i can vertically attack( fins out) the next section only to be told by world sailing to give way to starboard to the oncoming optimist dinghy. I pull out of the wave missing a sick down the line section where i was going to stomp a mean as strapless front 3 late 360 pop shuv......and capsize, my mast wraps around my body and drags me under the water then my kite loops and flys me 30ft though the air as toby performs an illegal boardoff to barefoot over the top of me while competing in the non world sailing sanctioned world ( illegal) airstyle championships. Bruno Leganoux, Franz Olry and Robby Naish are sitting on the beach looking particularly confused, watching as the sailing unfolds.
I see you are now just resorting to stupidity and avoiding any sensible discussion now

Well done.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed May 09, 2018 10:58 pm

US sailing is World Sailings American representation/ voting member that puts forward submissions/ ideas.

Still no idea what your involvment is, you never answered.

Well it will all go down at chelsea football club ( where else of course) this week. looks like we can all sit back with our popcorn and watch the 5hitshow! i am sure kiting will be well represented with kiting pioneers, kiting world champions, key kiting industry reps, inventors and a hoarde of kiting supporter.. not. Maybe the dude that wants the foil/ twintip/ mixed sex olympic kite triathlon will show up and represent.

We have been taking the piss out of the various attempts to control kiting on this forum for many years - long before world sailing /ika. A sense of humour is essential!

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity

Postby mr_daruman » Wed May 09, 2018 11:56 pm

The big debate: ramen is pasta and in soup raviolis are noodles. Meanwhile I like my Udon thick and all-dente with butter and pesto sauce.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Thu May 10, 2018 12:11 am

PPL, Hang Gliding, Gliding, and bigger yacht racing (34'-45') around the sticks and long distance... Hydrofoil Kiteboarding is the purest form of sailing. I only stay local when I am practicing, otherwise I am all over the harbor.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu May 10, 2018 12:11 pm

^
Quite personal view. I could in theory use my paraglider on water, is it sailing?

Or piloting a kite? FS and Ozone are big in PG, no much difference with foils.

Is a hidrofoil power boat a sailing or piloting above water? Why is the harbor pilot called a pilot?

The long haul plane is cruising. Why they call it cruising? No idea.

Medium does not matter. What matter is a kite. KITE.

It is a multidisciplinary sport. One using foil kite can launch a PG and probably fly with it. It would take 2mins to adapt.

Hence, more pilot than a sailor.
Last edited by downunder on Thu May 10, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu May 10, 2018 12:37 pm

its going to go on and on regardless of meeting outcome at world sailing this week:

The IFKO ( by kiters for kiters not by sailors for kiters) was asked to join GAISF( previously sport accord.. the group that decides/ defines sports for ioc - they will decide if a kitesports or sailing controls kiting) by President Patrick Baumann. They are now a member under the banner of kite sports. This puts a massive spanner in the wheel of worlds sailings claim that kiting is sailing. it is a similar battle to: canoeings claim that sup is canoeing ( despite have never been involved with sup).. same battle.. canoeing wants olypic cash from ioc and if they get the sup cash if it becomes an olympic sport.. $ame $ame

world sailing is paid $11 million by the ioc so you can see the golden carrot..

17 000 people have petitioned that kiting is not sailing.

Inventor of kiteboarding says kiteboarding isnt sailing and that ika and world sailing are a self proclaimed governing body of kiting: ( i remember him coming on kiteforum about a while ago)

https://www.surfertoday.com/kiteboardin ... ng-and-ika

not sure what the kiting patent legal threat to world sailing is but if the inventor of the sport is involved it is not to be taken lightly.

more bull$it as it develops!

Return to “Kitesurfing”