Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The end of IKA, GKA and World sailing ( involvement with kiting)?

Forum for kitesurfers
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: The end of IKA, GKA and World sailing ( involvement with kiting)?

Postby Toby » Thu May 10, 2018 1:22 pm

As for me: I am a kitesurfer. Much more a surfer than a sailor. I get wet. I fly. I slide. I do tricks.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tiago1973 » Thu May 10, 2018 1:32 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:37 pm
The IFKO ( by kiters for kiters not by sailors for kiters) was asked to join GAISF( previously sport accord.. the group that decides/ defines sports for ioc - they will decide if a kitesports or sailing controls kiting) by President Patrick Baumann. They are now a member under the banner of kite sports.
then someone needs to call GAISF telling them to update their site..
https://gaisf.org/members/#

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri May 11, 2018 8:11 am

that was sourced from 2 articles.. i try and find em.. yeah cant see them there.. scuttlebut? and some other sailing website...?

it looks like there are not enough females doing foil racing to meet ioc requirements anyway ( equal number of males and females.) so that seems to be out of the equation anyway.. kitefoil gold world cup about 3 females entered worldwide (???!!!), formula kite worlds about 5 female competitors entered worldwide(???!!) ( it said 10 competitors but 5 said did not compete or dns.. could not make it around course wierd.. bulking up the numbers?)

So the submissions from countries that include kiting as a choice in olympics ( many dont want kiting at all):

mixed sex team relay racing (huh?!)
mixed sex team racing and waves combined.. (what!? i spat my food out)
mixed sex team triathlon - twintip racing foil racing and freestyle ( i cant take any more )
mixed sex team racing (how?! tandem kiteboards)
mixed sex team long distance down winder long distance race (tandem kiteboards again!)

you get the idea... this is what happens when sailors try and involve themselves with another sport.. completely clueless/ potentially dangerous.

but wait.. there is another problem? niel pryde cr-x offer the only kite equipment option i know of for convertable twintip and foil otherwise .. more equipment extra board .. the alternative ... ride anything. arms race.. WAY more cost.. all less youth and less poorer country involvement. cr-x kiting may face the exact problem rsx windsurfing is facing in the format of antitrust laws...

--------------

So what is left for olympic kiteboarding with world sailing in charge... here are my suggestions:

Wakeskate kiting sliders( world sailing are the world authority if all forms of kiteboarding on water including wakeskate slider riding)

Jet ski assisted tow up kiting freestyle .The competition that took place.. for real at the world biggest kite comp.. leucate mondial du vent (world sailing are the world authority if all forms of kiteboarding on water including jet ski assisted tow up kiting freestyle)

Kite cliff jumping.

Some kind of kiteboarding "urban" (urban is important, a countries submission mentions the urban look of a foilboard being appealing to youth) kind of on water style points fashion show competition

any more ideas.. some kind of kiting decathlon, or clay pigeon shooting while boosting king of the air style boosts...

-----++++

this article by some sailing dude is pretty funny regarding kiting.
http://sailinganarchy.com/2018/04/16/omaha/

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tiago1973 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:50 am

c´mon...

´mix sex team´ most probably is: men againts men fleet & women againts the women fleet. Both results are combined, the highest score wins

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri May 11, 2018 12:45 pm

tandem-kitesurf-skroda_dort.jpg
tandem-kitesurf-skroda_dort.jpg (126.3 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
Image features olympic team France expression sailing representives powering up ready to launch into a combined dual kite boogie loop ( Now know as a double reverse gybe). The team hasnt made a decision whether to use boots or footstraps quite yet, but the decision whether to allow handles for board offs by world sailing is very controversal and will clearly effect the decision. A spokesman said "we are engaging a marketing team to come together and decide which will have the most urban appeal, there is a chance also that the format will move to tandem park (kickers and sliders), it all depends on urban appeal at the end of the day".

Aaron Hadlow wasnt available to answer the question of whether he would be prepared to screw a handle on his end of the board while representing in the mixed doubles.

More news as it comes including the outcome of the courtcase that wakestyle kiting is in fact wakeboarding and that the WWF (not animals) world wakeboarding federation is the world authority of wakestyle kiteboarding.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri May 11, 2018 2:05 pm

Lol, good one!

True, If they are to do the course race with barefoot slides, it will be the responsibility of the Wakeboarding Association

Damn, now realizing it...I am a wakestyler 😨

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Fri May 11, 2018 2:19 pm

CRX was only there INCASE RSXgets dropped as it’s a revenue stream for neil Pryde they didn’t want to lose.

If as a recent submission suggests RSX is going to stay then CRX will be canned immediately

IF it stays then the anti trust thing has been swept away as well... 💰💰💰🤔

Return to “Kitesurfing”