Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Forum for kitesurfers
Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Postby Pemba » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:45 pm

loco4viento wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:28 am
tautologies wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:44 pm
I do not tend to call people names, but I will stop replying to people like him because there is no rational conversation to be had.
No response is a very good approach when the prospect of a rational conversation seems unlikely. Better than wasting your time and beating your head against a wall.

That said, most of us have said a few things we shouldn’t have, and I’m pretty sure you can recall a post or two you’ve deleted after rethinking things. It’s ok. We all make mistakes of many different kinds. We are human and that’s part of the deal.

Blocking MM is the best approach if one really hates to read what he says. However, anyone who is criticizing him must have chosen to read his posts, and that is a statement in itself.

I know some of MM’s adversaries enjoy speaking authoritatively about climate science because they are educated in other areas of science, but when they say things like “the science is settled” and “the debate is over” they speak against some of the foundations of scientific thought. Everything is open to debate, and challenging what is accepted as truth is encouraged by the scientific world (aside from those with political and monetary conflicts of interest). Challenging accepted “truth” is what leads to discovery (or further affirmation of accepted “truth”). MM may not be a climate scientist, but neither are many of the self-appointed authorities on scientific method who try to dismiss him. In the scientific world, simply dismissing a challenging opinion isn’t as powerful as presenting evidence to support one’s own views. However, in our world of political influence and desire to be accepted by those in the mainstream, dismissing those with opposing views is a very common strategy (even when those doing the dismissing don’t know what they’re talking about).

I enjoy reading his posts and I like to read the thoughts of someone who is willing to speak his mind, even if that means being attacked. I don’t have to agree with a single thing he says, and I can block his posts and hide in a safe space if I choose to be offended by what he says.

Troll? I’m not so sure. Racist? I don’t think I have enough information to make such an accusation. Interesting? To me, yes.
I agree with you. Some of the points raised appear interesting enough to look further into and respond to but for me at least, maybe better on a forum for global heating/climate change (or the absence thereof). Although the topic might be on that subject, to address the points raised, some "science" needs to come in, which I think is a bit beyond a kite forum like this one.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:26 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:50 pm
MM will stop short of outing himself as a racist or misogynist in gross quotable terms, but is it really all that hard to put two and two together? If it looks like shit, smells like shit, and smears like shit, do you really need to taste it?

It's not the crap he regurgitates, that shit is what makes him a troll. It's the personal inflections he puts into the few lines of original text belittling and mocking whatever group he chooses. Those are the bits that reek of a good many ism's.
You have tried and failed to mask your deliberate and false labeling of M&M as a racist. In order to state the above, you need to find evidence directly linked to M&M discriminating based on race, or get an admission from him.

jumptheshark wrote:
MM will stop short of outing himself as a racist or misogynist in gross quotable terms, but is it really all that hard to put two and two together?
The above is as close to a direct accusation as you can get. And you have no evidence that he discriminates based on race. This clearly displays your bigotry toward those who hold a view in opposition to yours.

P.S. You are not LetsFlyaKite, are you?

jumptheshark wrote:
.....It's the personal inflections he puts into the few lines of original text belittling and mocking whatever group he chooses. Those are the bits that reek of a good many ism's.
Again, you are slightly more subtle with dropping the "rac" in front of "ism's". Even though this gives you an out to saying hes is into something like capitalism, communism, or sexism, you still have set up the accusation of racism before in the prior paragraph.

I think you are better, or at least cleaner, at stooping to M&M's level (and somewhat below) than he is.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:36 pm

Sandras wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:28 pm
loco4viento wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:44 pm
It’s so much more convenient do simply dismiss someone as racist, misogynist, ageist, gendrist or (fill in prefix of choice)-ist than to go through that pesky process of actually engaging in conversation.
:thumb:

or ecologist, feminist, dogooder, green fool, moral high ground etc...
Since we were not talking about the greatest "conversation" skills that this forum has seen....
Excellent point. The extremists exist on both sides of the political spectrum, and on individual issues. My favorite piece from John Cleese:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXCkxlqFd90

The most interesting part is how a few things are flipped to the other side when you cross the pond.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:50 pm

loco4viento wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:28 am
No response is a very good approach when the prospect of a rational conversation seems unlikely. Better than wasting your time and beating your head against a wall.
"No response" is the poorest approach. It allows stupidity, absurdity, and extremism to flourish.

Though you will definitely be beating your head against the wall trying to convince an extremist with facts, evidence, and logic, you may give those who are loosely aligned with that extremist's views a chance to see what cooler heads and rational thought have to say about the subject. And opening just a few minds, who would most likely have their thought process degraded by those extremist's views - should no one oppose them, can change the course of history.

Often times extremists, and occasionally those in the center, refuse to debate out of fear of their position being weakened upon the conclusion of that debate. This is the main problem with "science" right now. Too many "scientists" or "industry interests" want to prove their position correct, rather than find out what is happening in reality. Refusal to debate may only make your position seem weak, but debating and confirming that weakness has the potential to completely destroy your position. This is why many wish to cease conversation and willingly allow extremism to build up. To put it simply, 'So long as my side increases it's followers and adherents, my side becomes more powerful and so do I'. Thus the result of refusal to beat your head against the wall is that extremist ideas become more and more commonly accepted on both sides.

Can you think of any class or group in society that feeds off of that division???

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:14 pm

Sorry, I was just relaxing here all cool, with my wife. What is all the commotion about? :rollgrin:
Attachments
rafadani.jpg

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:22 pm

There must be an "ism" for that. Must be..

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:22 pm

You can talk talk talk can't you, but why is it always about such inane shit? You bore me with your semantic refereeing.

MM is absolutely a zealot with a tireless single track agenda. Me, not so much.

For sure he posts a few intriguing bits, but even a retarded squirrel finds a nut once in a while. For such a stickler its funny you are confused he actually understands any of it better than anyone else. None of it even his personal opinion, its simply harvested. He actually speaks very little that is not cut and paste as to betray as little ignorance as possible. Graphs and random clips are his tools of obfuscation.

Can you imagine the work it would take to discredit each one!! Would take a true zealot of the opposite persuasion to counter him.

If he were more than just a troll, he would engage in actual correspondence, he would respond to specific questions and counter points.... you know, like a debate. Instead when faced with inquiry, he simply ignores it and prattles on like some kind of anti global warming, right wing leaning turrets. Its been going on for literally thousands of posts in hundreds of pages. Please forgive some of us for growing tired of it.

You may defend him all you like. It reflect poorly on you.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:40 pm

Pemba wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:22 pm
There must be an "ism" for that. Must be..
Ageism, cause pedo doesn't end in ism.

Wait, If she's already taller than you at 14 isn't she gonna tower over you when she's full grown?

Hope she takes half of that portfolio your always on about, or maybe half of the half that didn't go to your first wife! Not sure how it works in Cuba but hey as long as you can afford someone to roll your cigars you can maintain some sense of superiority.

Maybe a bit of colonialism in there too!

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:20 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
MM will stop short of outing himself as a racist or misogynist in gross quotable terms, but is it really all that hard to put two and two together? If it looks like shit, smells like shit, and smears like shit, do you really need to taste it?
So Jumpy, would you like to show everyone that you do have a shred of decency and apologize to M&M for your above statement? It should not take a big man to admit they are wrong on such a despicable personal attack, and you can still stick to your guns on the argument. It would be nice to see if your claims that you are "just a good guy" could be backed up with at least one shred of evidence.

If you do choose to do the right thing, maybe we could clean up the other part in your last post that is worse (in my opinion) than an accusation of racism. I will stop short of quoting you on that one so you have the opportunity to edit that before someone else quotes you.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:43 pm

It's OK, it's like a cycle, these people get triggered, then show who they really are, and on important day look like this.
Attachments
scream-1-.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”