Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Forum for kitesurfers
jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Postby jakemoore » Tue May 29, 2018 9:48 pm

Strekke wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 8:22 pm
complete bans on all types of plastic
Like ABS in car dashboards, silicones in disposable medical catheters, Polyester ripstop, and UHMWPE kite lines? (No I'm not a fan of PE grocery bags and wasteful plastic wrap, Peert)
Strekke wrote:
obligatory recycling
As soon as there is a market for recycled goods it will happen on its own. Meanwhile, nobody wants a milk bottle made out of plastic that could possibly have been used to hold toxic household waste like motor oil. I used to have a set of bike tire levers made out of recycled plastic - Pedros Milk levers. They were the best levers I ever used. Too bad the market has moved on. Want to make a difference? Make something people want to buy out of recycled plastic.
Strekke wrote:
but the age of man will be over.
Pessimist or optimist? Why follow Malthus (and Thanos) when you could follow Kardashev? Global warming lets us harvest more energy from our star.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Tue May 29, 2018 10:48 pm

BWD wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:38 pm
Ahh, peert.
The greenhouse gas hypothesis remains that, with climate records limits to very few years and subject to every human bias, “climate scientists” rely on proxy measures even farther steps removed from the data they seek to infer. All the proxies are subject to bias and vulnerable to the “post hoc ergo propter hoc” error among others.
The psychology mentioned also skips key facts:
A rational actor must not only see a purported relationship that contextualizes his actions, he must accept the relationship (here: co2 and ch4 => “gLoBaL WaRmInG”) as true and conclude his actions materially affect the outcome. Both of these are among the preconditions for rational action. He would also have to conclude not just that his actions matter but that “everyone else” ( maybe 700M people, mostly westerners) would go along and their actions would outweigh the carbon economy of the other 6B or so earthlings. Otherwise his actions would be futile, wouldn’t they?
If he is merely told what to do and badgered about it until he accepts that anthropogenic warning occurs, is bad, and that the co2 hypothesis is correct, he is acting not by logic but because of faith, guilt, status-seeking, desire to please, etc.
psychology indeed, jah.
Short reply..
You are sort of right in your essay... Sample size is one (Earth) so some room for error is indeed inherently present.
There is however scientific consensus among a very large mayority of environmental scientist on this topic.

A perhaps strange anology.
Person A injects person B (against his will) with a newly engineered chemical (X). The other person dies minutes later..

There are no toxicity reports on the chem X (it's new). Person A is accused of murder. But he could successfully claim he could not have known B would die? No even stronger, he could claim there is no relation between injection and death. No statically solid science on chem X toxicity to get him convicted in BWD's court...

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Tue May 29, 2018 10:51 pm

Topaz wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:12 pm
Who cares?
There is nothing nobody can do to stop pollution, global warming and the end of life in the planet. It's a non stoppable run away train.

When things get really bad, the rich and the powerful will try flee to space stations or other habitable planets and start all over (if they make it). The rest of us, will just die in a global polluted chaos.

I feel worried (not guilty) and do whatever I can to pollute less, although I know it won't make any difference.
But I think that paying some organisation to compensate my pollution it's kind of hypocrite. It's like saying, 'oh, I"m rich, so I can pay to freely pollute the planet.' Your money won't save the planet.
I fully agree with Topaz and recognize myself in his words...

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Wed May 30, 2018 12:59 am

No guilt here, au contraire feeling like doing God's work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Z5FdwWw_c&t=27s

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Wed May 30, 2018 1:56 am

So you can afford to pay an additional $500 on top of your vacation costs to assuage your guilt over contributing to global warming. It seems that every hand wringing solution to Anthropomorphic Global Warming is one that widens the divide from the haves from the have nots. Each solution makes energy more expensive than market rates and forces the poorest into greater energy poverty.

Here is a thought. Why not commit to a carbon footprint that is no greater than the average human on earth as measured today? Living by example and walking the talk is the moral and ethical thing to do. If you though there was a crisis, why wouldn't you jump at the chance to reduce your first world carbon foot print and to the average human on earth? Relying on having the resources to pay justify burning more than your fair share (fair = average carbon footprint)is an obtuse elitist justification.

I see very few that express concern for Anthropomorphic Global Warming that actually walk the talk. It is always about what others should do and how we can increasingly empower an authoritarian government to socially engineer humans to do the bidding of what these AGW clingers "know" is best for the rest of humanity.

I will start becoming concerned with AGW when those that think we are in a crisis start acting like. I certainly will not be holding my breath waiting. However, I will continue to point out the hypocrisy of AGW clingers at every opportunity. It is a target rich environment. CO2 offsets..thanks for the laugh.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed May 30, 2018 3:48 pm

Most participants in this thread have displayed a great degree of religiously held surety on one side or the other, of this debate. Many of the arguments on both sides have been debunked with only a few idiots clinging to those false beliefs. Unforftunatley, left or right will not get a chance to get to the bottom of this one. This is because the problem on the surface (anthropogenic climate change) is not the actual problem facing us. The two greatest problems facing this debate are not obvious -

1. Right now, western society is eliminating the right to debate. People are actually being jailed for 'speaking for' or 'speaking against' certain topics. As many of the participants in this thread are aware, many of the "global warming alarmists" actually are in favor of jailing those who do not believe that anthropogenic climate change is happening. And legislation already exists that can be applied to that matter. Science cannot exist without debate. Science without debate is religion/politics/ideology. Thus I start cringing when I hear:
Peert wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:48 pm
There is however scientific consensus among a very large mayority of environmental scientist on this topic.
Peert, these are the clergy who's narrative you are taking as your religion. There are holes in the dogma which you believe, but you have simply chosen to look past those and come to a decision because you believe the holes in the dogma of your opposition are greater. Sometimes this is a necessary decision, sometimes we stick to this decision past it's usefulness. Science keeps debating until the issue is solved. Religious dogma "solves" the issue without debate. It is natural for humans to want a quick solution to clear up the confusion. But the confusion does not care about human wants. It simply exists until the debate has become mute. On this issue, both sides still have some data to gather and arguments to make. Some of these arguments have not even been dreamt of.

2. More effective than any solar or wind projects, a natural decline in the native population of a block of countries is set to actually reduce the carbon footprint of those nations. Problem solved?........ not quite. This block of nations, who has done more for "green energy" development and implementation than any other country('s), has political policies in place to undo all of that advancement.

This actual advancement in the fight against anthropogenic global warming is being undone by the importation of a population (immigration) of a people with an ideological mandate to out breed the native population. Once the native population of these countries becomes the minority, the democratic process will allow for the governmental policies to be changed to to be in line with this specific ideology. And this ideology is not interested in the environment.

If this is how the left solves problems, well, that says a lot about the rise and fall of societies throughout human history.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Wed May 30, 2018 4:11 pm

Fake Global Warming Scare + Carbon Emissions Hysteria + Failed Leader = Catastrophe
You are watching the guy who cut funding via IMF for Coal Power Plants in Africa, and listen carefully to what he is saying at the end.
So, here we are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBE0RKbRbl4

unclebill
Medium Poster
Gear: mixed

Postby unclebill » Wed May 30, 2018 4:51 pm

To be fair to the man, he was beaten to the punch many years ago on the topic of boiling in Africa, by a Canadian politician.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/lastman-a ... s-1.254922

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed May 30, 2018 10:51 pm

Wiki wrote:The scientific method seeks to objectively explain the events of nature in a reproducible way.
Because "global warming" events can not be repeated they can not be explained in a reproducible way.

See what I did there? ;-)

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu May 31, 2018 4:31 am

iriejohn wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:51 pm
Wiki wrote:The scientific method seeks to objectively explain the events of nature in a reproducible way.
Because "global warming" events can not be repeated they can not be explained in a reproducible way.

See what I did there? ;-)
Sorry, but you ARE making sense. That only works on a very small portion of the population. Most of those people identifiable as part of that small group, would be seen by others as having "common sense". The conundrum is, how would someone without common sense identify someone with common sense? Or rather, to what audience are your directing your post at? Is any one listening, or capable of listening?

And be careful with your statement/reference. Many cite inability to reproduce results as proof that the hypothesis is entirely wrong. The reality is that the system could simply be misunderstood to the point of the hypothesis being almost exactly right, but more variables need to be accounted for, in order to have reproducible results.

Return to “Kitesurfing”