Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Prodigy??

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Prodigy??

Postby Laughingman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:59 pm

zig zag wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:54 pm
I'm not a fan of the 12m flite and vs the 12m prodigy I'd prefer the prodigy... the flite doesn't handle the gusty conditions as well as the prodigy.. I've come off the water to switch down to my 7m after hanging onto the 12m.. so lots of wind range!

having the other 7/9.5 and now the 12m prodigy is a great option...
Oh interesting, I am the exact opposite. I prefer the prodigy in the small sizes but if conditions are right for my 12m Flite that is my choice... and considering its not usually gusty in the 14 - 18 knot range it works perfectly. The Flites are meant to have a strong low end... I suppose you give up the high end to achieve that.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:06 pm

BillyKP wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:02 am
Prodigy: make a mistake and its forgiving.... Flite: make a mistake and it will spank you hard
... what? I suppose it depends on what kind of mistake... you loop the Flite its a nice tight loop with consistent pull... does not have to go through the window... you loop the Prodigy its pull is consistent but its going through the window and taking you with it.

I actually cannot think of a time when I was spanked by my Flites, but I've been dropped by the Prodigy's. I think pros vs cons, Prodigy's excel in higher gusty conditions and Flites excel in more moderate winds. If I could I would always pick the conditions the Flite excels in so maybe that is why...
I have an 8m Flite and a 7m Prodigy ... I would choose the Flite to foil with and the Prodigy to TT with. I also have an 8m Roam, which I would choose for the wave days... but if the conditions need a larger kite... I choose my Flites every time

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby matth » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:54 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:59 pm
zig zag wrote:
I'm not a fan of the 12m flite and vs the 12m prodigy I'd prefer the prodigy... the flite doesn't handle the gusty conditions as well as the prodigy.. I've come off the water to switch down to my 7m after hanging onto the 12m.. so lots of wind range!

Oh interesting, I am the exact opposite. I prefer the prodigy in the small sizes but if conditions are right for my 12m Flite that is my choice... and considering its not usually gusty in the 14 - 18 knot range it works perfectly. The Flites are meant to have a strong low end... I suppose you give up the high end to achieve that.
Low and mid range the Flite is great...agree. It's those angry wind days we get in the fall and spring that I am looking to tame. I have had my flite out in overpowered conditions and it manageable but a handful.

zig zag
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cook St Victoria BC Canada
Favorite Beaches: Nitinat Lake, Cook St
Style: Free
Gear: 5/7/9.5/12 Prodigy, 8 Razor
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo
Has thanked: 0

Postby zig zag » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:00 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:59 pm
zig zag wrote:

When comparing both 12m's back to back in similar conditions the prodigy was better for me... I'm a man of many pies and the Flite is meant for lighter guys and a great companion to the 7/9.5m prodigy quiver...

the Flite was quick and holds it's own don't get me wrong.... many foilers love them! and if matth has the money for more kites why not add the 12m prodigy!

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:51 am

Laughingman, why Prodigy over Flite for TT?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:25 am

alford wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:51 am
Laughingman, why Prodigy over Flite for TT?
This is only true in the 8m and under range. The flites are not imho good at the top end of their range and wind conditions which you would use an 8m in are often very gusty here on the Great Lakes. In gusty conditions the prodigy is my choice. Clear?

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:24 pm

Crystal

Digdawg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Snowkite:
Lemon Reservoir, Durango
Rito Hondo, Creede
Favorite Beaches: Key West
Outer Banks
CorpUs Christi
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
- Aluula Flite 17m
- Flite 12m, 14.5m & 17m
- Crave 12m
- Mako 150 & 160
Ozone
- 14m
Epic
- Renegade 7m
Slingshot
- Crisis 140
Crazyfly
- LW 154
Ride Engine Harness

Postby Digdawg » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:12 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:06 pm
BillyKP wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:02 am
Prodigy: make a mistake and its forgiving.... Flite: make a mistake and it will spank you hard
... what? I suppose it depends on what kind of mistake... you loop the Flite its a nice tight loop with consistent pull... does not have to go through the window... you loop the Prodigy its pull is consistent but its going through the window and taking you with it.

I actually cannot think of a time when I was spanked by my Flites, but I've been dropped by the Prodigy's. I think pros vs cons, Prodigy's excel in higher gusty conditions and Flites excel in more moderate winds. If I could I would always pick the conditions the Flite excels in so maybe that is why...
I have an 8m Flite and a 7m Prodigy ... I would choose the Flite to foil with and the Prodigy to TT with. I also have an 8m Roam, which I would choose for the wave days... but if the conditions need a larger kite... I choose my Flites every time

I am a full size kiter, I grab my 12m flite in 25 knots. Laughinman's comments resonate with me - I've never been spanked by my 12 flite and I've done some dumb things on it - accidentally looping on back rolls, etc...

9.5 prodigy is a really good high wind kite for me, 30+ knts. Although I've been on my 12 flite well over 30 knots. Not ideal, but I stayed on it intentionally, as the wind was coming up, to see how it behaved. lt was fine - super stable, safe feeling. Love my flites!!I

Would like to spend more time riding the 12 flite & prodigy back to back. I snowkite in some gusty mountain winds and it would be nice to see how they compare in those conditions.

It's a good dilemna, two excellent options. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”