Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Bahia Salinas
Style: Free ride
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Complete Tear ACL

Postby Electricsnail » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:09 pm

So I have a unique opinion. I have tore both my acl’s skiing. One was fixed. Year later the other happened to tear when I was skiing tired. I didn’t fix that one. The one that was fixed is more stable. I am way more careful on the one that wasn’t fixed. I am never a fan of surgery. It is a risk, anesthesia, infection, etc. it isn’t risk free, (although prob less risky then kitesurfing). At 20 years old and being an “athlete” get it done. Get the best doc you can and see if they will do it robotically. There are a few doctors who do and it is way less invasive.

I urge you to google ACL surgery and watch a video or two. It’s more like carpentry then medicine. Good luck buddy.
These users thanked the author Electricsnail for the post:
HugoMC (Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:29 pm)
Rating: 10%

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:04 pm

I recommend surgery if you planning to live an active life...
Having strong muscle help hugely (now), but can not support your knee when bent (approx 30° or more)
In sports like, football, basketball, ski, and kite etc. you put extra strain on your joint and the cartilage will be damaged in about 5-8 years, then pain and swelling will force you out of active life style.
Then, you probably going to have surgery, but the damage is already done and you are much older...
I'm (was) a pro acrobat, ruptured my ACL skiing, the above was explained to me, and I had the surgery 24h after my accident.
I was 46 at the time.
Take your rehabilitation seriously and it will be as good as new!
Stay focused and mentally strong...

all the best

the_dec1der
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 2014
Naish Monarch 2016
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby the_dec1der » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:30 am

I am not a surgeon but work in medicine.
In my opinion you should get it done if you are willing to sacrifice recovery time. In the long run you will probably benefit more since you are super young.
I have two friends who are very talented athletes. They both tore their acl and got it done. They also studied medicine and are physicians now.

However, keep in mind that that quite often, once you get one side fixed the acl on the other knee is statistically more likely to tear as well.

Return to “Kitesurfing”