Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Eye Protection Goggles that can be used with helmet

Postby marekmk » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:40 pm

advice please on what are the most comfortable, practical and durable please?
Last edited by marekmk on Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Been thanked: 0

Re: Eye Protection Goggles

Postby Bushflyr » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:00 pm

Goggles fog up too badly for me. Use Sea Specs.

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:51 pm

I use these sourced from a local construction safety supply store:

https://www.cleanitsupply.com/p-18318/c ... gK4ffD_BwE

I drill a small hole in the end of the ear piece and put a length of 1/8" shock cord so they will not fall off. But I do use a helmet which is pretty important for 100% retention in a really bad crash.

They do fog up when the water temp is cold (don't believe the anti fog claim in the link), and the air is warm. But if you manage to stay out of the water most of the time, the fogging is not a huge issue. And for the price, they are pretty disposable when they eventually get scratched up.

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:55 pm

589f1382ed4fd753bd459562-5-large.jpeg
589f1382ed4fd753bd459562-5-large.jpeg (41.53 KiB) Viewed 8465 times
A good cheap option that we use here:
https://geek.wish.com/product/5acc2f02c4791861e085525e (polarised version with box 12euro)
https://geek.wish.com/product/589f1382ed4fd753bd459562 (non polarised version without box 5euro)

The glasses come with 4 sets of lenses, normal temples and strap that replaces them for secure fit.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:37 pm

I've been using a variety of glasses and surf glasses for many years because I wear contact lenses on the water. Have fogging problems a lot, used all kinds of anti fogging coatings and sprays. Nothing works. Often fighting to see due to fog and water drops on lenses.
Then I discovered how bad it is to have polarisation, as you can not see the water surface as well. This became very apparent when I started Hydrofoiling.
So I finally tossed them and kite without. Partly due to the fact that I'm Hydrofoiling, I don't need them anymore.
Still i need sun and wind protection. But haven't found a solution.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:03 am

Kurtis is king with California kiters. I don't personally use them, but I know many who do and swear they're the best.
https://kurtiseyewear.com/collections/surf-goggles

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:00 am

I like a basic pair of sunglasses. Not polarized. If they wrap too close to your face that will fog. Also a loose fitting retainer is nicer because you can bring the glasses down to lick the lens. There is nothing to beat saliva as anti-fog.

Pick a frame that stays on your face but not too tight so it doesn’t fog. Asking the internet what’s the best glasses is like reading amazon reviews to see if a certain kind of pants will make your butt look big. Unless someone has your exact same face, you gotta try them on.

These Bobberz retainers are available for a few dollars at our local gas stations. They look pretty red-neck but it’s very easy to find sunglasses even if they fall of in waves. Still I have lost a few pairs so I’d recommend something you will use without remorse if you lose it.
Attachments
8A670A97-D85A-463E-9C1F-E978AB3836EE.jpeg

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:10 am

And if you are committed to helping your friendly optician buy some new kites, may I recommend these Versace VE2197 shields
E501B170-0C51-4B19-877C-676B7F1ED476.jpeg

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:15 am

Da Yoda wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:03 am
Kurtis is king with California kiters. I don't personally use them, but I know many who do and swear they're the best.
https://kurtiseyewear.com/collections/surf-goggles
I have some Kurtis glasses/google/wraparound things. I can't really recommend them. They don't really do anything useful that any other much cheaper glasses do.

They have one attribute that is pretty good. They're quite slim and sit a fair way off your face. That allows a fair amount of airflow and it's easy to get a finger under them and wipe water out of you eyes. They can be pushed up onto your forehead, even when wearing a hat or helmet, so you can see if they get too gungey or it gets a bit dark.

Fogging shouldn't really be a problem for kitesurfing. You dunk your face and glasses in the water then ride off. As long as there's airflow the glasses won't fog. Fogging is huge problem for surfing because the air flow is low and you generate a lot of heat from exertion.

Dirt and grease and sunscreen and dried salt water is more of a problem. You can reduce that by cleaning your glasses spotlessly with dishwashing detergent or hand soap. Wash, dry and polish and most gunk will just run off. Add on coatings like RainX only help a little and are more trouble than they are worth.

These glasses https://www.lip-sunglasses.com/products ... s/typhoon/ work pretty well for reducing water and salt spots. The coatings are built in to the lenses. They cost a heap, but they're the best I have found. They still fog up but you can rinse them as you ride.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:17 am

OzBungy wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:15 am
These glasses https://www.lip-sunglasses.com/products ... s/typhoon/ work pretty well for reducing water and salt spots. The coatings are built in to the lenses. They cost a heap, but they're the best I have found. They still fog up but you can rinse them as you ride.
I recently bought Lip "Surge" sunglasses https://www.lip-sunglasses.com/products ... des/surge/ (with brown lenses) which are much less expensive than the Lip Typhoons (about half the price). Used them a few times now and they're really comfortable, and unlike Seaspecs etc. they don't seem to fog up at all.

Return to “Kitesurfing”