San Andres/Providencia or Cabo de la Vela

Forum for kitesurfers
lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns
Brand Affiliation: None

San Andres/Providencia or Cabo de la Vela

Postby lewmt » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:24 am

Thinking hard about a kite trip to either of these 2 places. Both look like they get plenty of wind almost year-round. I'd choose based on where I can get the best waves. I saw a youtube video of a really nice peeling left off San Andres but if there's rights to be had I'd go there. Looks like maybe Cabo de la Vela is more disorganized chop & some flat water but if there's anyone with insight I'd really appreciate your input

Oldpeople
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San andres
Style: Free ride old school
Gear: north dyno
Has thanked: 0

Re: San Andres/Providencia or Cabo de la Vela

Postby Oldpeople » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:32 am

If you are looking for waves i wouldnt pick san andres. Great flat water though. Good wind usually in late june to end of july. Then december to march. The rest of the months would be very chancy. Pm me if you need more info. I dont have any first hand knowledge about cabo de vela.

speedyRider
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby speedyRider » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:42 am

Ive been in both places.
Cabo is flat, no chop but really flat. Good for freestyle, usually strong winds though.
San andres is really nice small island but no waves except in the last part of the island there is a wave spot but never been there kiting, saw it but thats it. The reef (which is where you have waves) is closer there. Rest of island is flat and really nice with turquoise waters.

As for wind probability at Cabo works almost all year while San andres apart from the dates they told you, you can be lucky or not

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:20 am

I have been to San Andres and Cartagena.

At San Andres you will find some waves at the channels, but not really clean.

Not been to Cabo, but only saw flat water riding on videos and pics. But heard they have 365 days of wind, which San Andrés or Cartagena don't have.

Best wave I rode was in Cartagena, directly in front of the old town, at the Cafe del Mar.
No direct access, you need to downwind or upwind form the beaches.

Upwind and downwind of this are few spots with sweet waves near shore...

Check the Spots on this site, you find it in the navigation menu...I have pictures of the Cartagena spots there.

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:36 pm

Thanks very much! Sounds like I should look elsewhere for the waves I'm after. Don't need Pacasmayo quality but good rights & reliable wind. Not worried about nightlife or party scenes just good solid kiting for as many days as I can be gone. Time of year isn't critical either at this point - just seeking the plan to make. Remote or tough to get to is fine also. Warm is preferable to cold.

Thanks for the feedback!

Return to “Kitesurfing”