pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Oceanus kite reels: i still see them

Postby pj sofine » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:37 pm

I used one back in the early 2000's while starting out. Only problem I had was I kept breaking them, the webbing would break on hard wipeouts. Got tired of buying new ones so I moved on. Still see some using them from time to time, doesn't seem to be any issues for these slow cruising senior citizens.

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:22 pm

BigSky wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:46 am
I used the Oceanus when I first started kiting. I found it super helpful when learning because it allowed me to focus on the kite. However I feel it also made me lazy around acquiring solid body dragging skills. I certainly had many violent wipeouts and never once even had a close call with the board shooting back at me; it just slowly crawled back to me every time. It worked so well it was hard to give up at first. I did get harassed by the PC brigade for my offense, which was made even worse because it was hanging from seat harness :o
This is like saying I drove around in the 70s without ever buckling up so it's safe for everyone. Yes I had one, yes they are dangerous and reinforce laziness. The only time I would ever consider using a leash is in a lightwind foil situation after the wind has died. Implyimg people should use these things or any leash because you never had a problem is an irresponsible disservice to the kiting community.

beebad
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Chesapeak, Triton, Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island, Mirlo Beach-NC,
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 148 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard

Postby beebad » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:38 pm

BigBafana wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:21 pm
Just to set the facts straight for both of you and all the rest wanting to bash Oceanus, sendit, are you speaking of the Reel Leash by Oceanus and have you set it up in the proper fashion according to their instructions?

It seems odd that you sendit are saying that you got ‚tombstoned‘ which should never happen or even be able to happen if you connect the leash to the fin screws. Only if you connect it to the handle or somewhere close to the middle of the board would you end up in that position. Secondly the leash does not have any bungee action. It’s a solid nylon leash which when extended gets pulled back in a controlled slow action. So have any of you two really had some experience with it, the Reel Leash, or a similarly made one which had a bungee type cord? Those would spring back at you unlike the Oceanus one.
Then i met Adrienne (and Mike) a red head from Chicago the other day in Waves, NC while kite boarding...she had an oceanus reel on her harness. Said she was tired of worrying about her board. She said she never had an issue with her oceanus.

I bought mine last year but have never used it because of all the stuff, anectodal jazz you read on the internet. I also bought this nylon clip for the attachment point for the fins screws that i use to clip my extra safety leash when i dont want to tend to my board when i have to futz with a flagging line or drift launching.....

Women are very sensible and cautious creatures ( of beauty and brains) ( covering all the bases). Any one i approach with an oceanus has nohing bad to say about them.

I have almost lost my board in really windy conditions when it is easy to lose sight of your board in the choppy waters...lose your board and lose your easy way out of a harrowing situation...especially if in deep water....plus a board will set you back $600..... so if there is a lazy way to limit a yard sale with minimal risk i will letchaz know how i fare.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

hongchew
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Gear: airush

Postby hongchew » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:29 am

OzBungy wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:01 am
I don't know about losing teeth or any of that with a reel leash, but ... 99.99999999% of kiters do just fine with no leash at all. What's "special" about you that you need a reel leash?

I understand some surf kiters use a leash because they surf at a sketchy break with rocks and cliffs downwind. Arguably getting separated from your board could be more dangerous than using a leash. I would assume people riding in those circumstances are expert enough to make an informed decision. In which case there's nothing to discuss.

Using a leash as a matter of course? Refer to paragraph 1.
I'll call your 99.999% claim 99.999% bulls, because quite a number of kiters lost their boards.

It's still being used because it's useful, simple as that.

patelis
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby patelis » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:07 am

BigBafana wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:21 pm
Just to set the facts straight for both of you and all the rest wanting to bash Oceanus, sendit, are you speaking of the Reel Leash by Oceanus and have you set it up in the proper fashion according to their instructions?

It seems odd that you sendit are saying that you got ‚tombstoned‘ which should never happen or even be able to happen if you connect the leash to the fin screws. Only if you connect it to the handle or somewhere close to the middle of the board would you end up in that position. Secondly the leash does not have any bungee action. It’s a solid nylon leash which when extended gets pulled back in a controlled slow action. So have any of you two really had some experience with it, the Reel Leash, or a similarly made one which had a bungee type cord? Those would spring back at you unlike the Oceanus one.

I had the Reel Leash as a beginner at a spot with a strong current and therefore used it back then. As often as I fell, far, long, long and flat, with speed and full force, I never once had the board ‚shoot‘ back at me. It was always a controlled constant and mostly slow return, espxecially when submerged in water.

I honestly think a lot of bashing occurs because people don’t differentiate between the Reel Leash from Oceanus and a different make that looks and acts similar but has the bungee action.

Also sendit you’re talking about 2002. perhaps they did have a bungee type leash back then. But the latest leash does not. The oldest review/ad that I could find on YouTube was from 2008, and that was also the time they presented a new version of the leash, the same type of model that I described above.

So please be clear on the facts and tell us again which exact brand you were using and if it had a bungee action cord or not, and did you connect it to the board per instruction at the fin?

So what are still your concerns about the latest model of the leash? The only concern would be that the leash or board would wrap itself around a solid object, over water or underwater, but even here my leash back in the days (also around 2008 somehwere) had a predetermined breaking point string that was connected to the solid nylon leash and the screw ring. So under certain tension that would probably rip and disconnect in the above emergency situation (here I don’t have any facts but I assume the company tested it).
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
I agree totally with you.
I am using it for many years and never have any problem . In very difficult situation it just broke .
But only the oceanus leash nto just a surf board leash those are dangerous

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Gear: Core Riot XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:47 am

I also always wear one. While riding, I use it very rarely in super light winds with my FS21, when it's very difficult to body drag upwind successfully. This happens I think 2 times a year. The main use I make of the reel is in the case I have to argue to relaunch the sail for any reason (this also happens 99% of the times with the FS 21 in marginal conditions). Anyway, if you have to concentrate on the sail for any reason, it's very comfortable because you don't have to pay attention also to the board.
I agree that used during standard riding it's very very dangerous.

dazarter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: kiel
Favorite Beaches: Somewhere in France
Style: freeride
Gear: Gaastra pure 2016 13, 10, 8m
crazy fly raptor pro 142x42 seaflight wave
Has thanked: 0

Postby dazarter » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:14 am

Dont wanna get into this again - the stories, the fears and the i know a friends thing (chinese whispers) :D
ive used one alot from the start for me 5 years ago - never once a single problem...on lakes still use the roll-leash when the wind is up and down but i tend to go out now with more power in my kites so bodydragging is for most of the time ok ..... when its colder and i dont want to swim too long them i use it for certain - and on open water i do like to carry the leash just in case my kite has problems i cannot solve alone on the water plus i dont want to be annoyed by my board as well as the kite.....

When i raced the redbull race from germany to denmark i used the leash with my big twintip - and to good reason - the wind was around ca. 18-22 knots with a 12er kite - i was tierd at the end that i fell a few time and the board was just gently caught behind me i started the kite and the board just came back slowly to me all relaxed and easy . ....the race-event was for a few people i met over when they could not find there boards in the big swell - they had to wait 20 mins for the resue boats to pick them up....race-event over and board lost - proberly landed in Russia :D

its easy to say - dangerous stupid but if have you never tried one keep your mouth shut on the forum!

Leashes are there for a reason - not for everyone but have there place (alot of pros use a normal leash - much more dangerous than a roll-leash). if you use a 150 kg connector nothing can really happen if you wipeout - and ive had many over the years...

I do see alot of people using normal leashes - they are deadly nearly pulled me under once because it acted like an ankor ......a leash has to connected in the right place and that is on the fin screws - no where else.

I dont the leash that much anymore because my kiting has changed i dont ride super light winds anymore - too boring and i mainly ride with on shore winds and not too far out max 1500metre when you can always get your board bach even if you cannot drag .... just wait on shore and the board will come back. After a while the board seems to stay put on your feet :D .

But the truth is too many people kite where they should not (off shore - rivers - tides whatever) and boards - alot of them get lost - and yes they do ! For many riding areas a leash and yes the roll-leash is certainly the safest leash to use, can save you from a long long swim , a ruined session and a lost board.

They are not build for the extremes like airtime big jumps etc etc and certainly not for storms and extreme winds....

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra and Union, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:50 pm

beebad wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:38 pm

<snip>

I have almost lost my board in really windy conditions when it is easy to lose sight of your board in the choppy waters...lose your board and lose your easy way out of a harrowing situation...especially if in deep water....plus a board will set you back $600..... so if there is a lazy way to limit a yard sale with minimal risk i will letchaz know how i fare.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.
Have you tried an Ocean Rodeo go-joe? Have seen people using them on surfboards (attached using front footstrap screws) for exactly that reason. Was chatting to one of them and he said it made it easy to find in the case of a wipeout.

beebad
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeak, Triton, Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island, Mirlo Beach-NC,
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 148 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard

Postby beebad » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:55 pm

Yes..I thought about it last year..if I cannot get to my kite or something is wrong with my main propulsion ( the kite) The board is sailing away to Borneo and all I will be able to do is watch it sail away which is the whole reason for the leash....We can't win can we...LOL Thanks for the response!!

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:47 pm

badgb21 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:41 pm
I wear one/carry one from time to time, mainly;
kiting alone
strong current
Sharks known to be around
- All dependent on conditions though.

Learning I wore one and a few times it wrapped around my body, not a nice situation. I think the later ones you can detach from the harness with a quick release type buckle
I connect to fin screws and learning it caused me to get dragged under the water, if the kite was dragging me, as the board went under and created resistance, not nice!
Never had it spring back at me, but I'm old and sedate rider ;)

Has been useful a couple of times carrying it, not clipped on. when kite had problem or helping others, I could clip in and forget about board.
Have seen others lose too many boards, so has been handy to clip into in rough seas where you can't see your (matt black!) board.
A balanced view....it’s the bit about the sharks....seemed a good enough reason..just saying

Return to “Kitesurfing”