Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Swimming Is The Best Exercise....

Forum for kitesurfers
John Doe
Medium Poster
Gear: The cheap kind.

Swimming Is The Best Exercise....

Postby John Doe » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:49 pm

Just thought I'd share this as I'm pretty stoked about it.... I've been kiting since the beginning of the sport, seen it all:) I've had injuries, broken bones, tendons, etc. I am turning 50 next year & over the last few my balance between kitesurfing & working has led me to a lot of time where I've had minimal exercise. Thus my non-kiting workouts have become increasingly critical so that I can still rip without getting tendonitis, or any other problems.

I recently had some carpal tunnel problems due to non-kiting activities. I have found that lap swimming dramatically increased my upper body strength without worsening my carpal tunnel problems in my arms. Bizzare but it works. I started to swim 1600 yards daily after I found it didn't worsen things. After a few weeks I just grew stronger & stronger. I kited a few times since & I was amazed by how much easier it was to kite, how much less of a kiting hangover I had in terms of soreness. Really stoked on that. I've done weights forever, all kinds of other stuff but IMHO swimming is the best low-impact sport you can do to prep for kitesurfing?!?!?!?!?!?

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Swimming Is The Best Exercise....

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:53 pm

Triple bonus for 1) Low Impact 2) Thermogenic (because your body is trying to head the pool to 98.6 degrees F) and 3) A valuable lifesaving skill for engaging in high-risk watersports.

I've found pilates to be the real difference maker for me, though. I have a really bad disc injury at L5/S1 and opted not to get surgery; core strengthening and balance exercises have made hydrofoiling noticeably easier.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SaltWaterDog » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:15 pm

You’ll be happy to know it’s not just your opinion. Swimming really is the best for targeting all your muscle groups and avoiding injury. There’s a very good reason why both humans and non-humans do physiotherapy in swimming pools. My lab has spent most of his outdoors swimming and looks a lot better than most of his brethren.

I’m also a big fan of Pilates and can especially recommend looking into classes that focus on core stretch exercises (think hips, psoas muscle, lower back etc.). They really work your core and believe me you will sweat like crazy. 1 hour of Pilates classes 3 times a week for 3 months can change your life. And if you want to incorporate some meditative excersises nothing beats yoga. I've heard yoga described as "martial art against yourself" and that is a pretty fair description, in my view.

For strength I recommend a simple home gym with a proper pull-up bar (one you actually bolt to wall/ceiling), 2-3 kettle bells, gymnastics rings and a mat for floor excersises. Gymnastics rings are the Swiss Army knife of home gym setups and you can easily do with just those if you want to keep it simple.
Last edited by SaltWaterDog on Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:01 pm

This is my kind of thread. I’m nearly 50, the tendons and knees as well as general fitness is a challenge.

Heavyint
Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone edge kites, Shinn El Stubbo board, Zeeko Blue and white foil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Heavyint » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:18 pm

+ 1 here on the Pilates. I also have major L5 disc issues and took up reformer pilates (2-3 times per week) about 3 years ago. It has made a huge difference to my kitesurfing - can stay out for 2-3 hours instead of 1-2 and feel fine afterwards - helps especially for the foiling. Haven't tried swimming in any big way, but no doubt that is highly effectively, anything that works the core is good.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:04 pm

Start hydrofoiling in very light wind. No need for a pool. I go swimming about twice a week.

Guttorm
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Favorite Beaches: El Medano, Sardinia, Rædergården, Trones, Leksdalsvatnet
Gear: Ozone R1 v4 18
Ozone Edge 17 & 19
Core XR4 11 13.5
Core XR3 9
Core Choice 3
Slingshot Glide LW
Core SLC foilboard

Postby Guttorm » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:09 pm

If you have serious knee pain this is working wery well
https://youtu.be/wP1Vv5Bzw_Q
It looks lame, but you will feel a lot better in 2-3 weeks.

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:29 pm

edt wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:04 pm
Start hydrofoiling in very light wind. No need for a pool. I go swimming about twice a week.
That's the point! You can kite as long as the wind allows you to do and then swiming back with a wet kite gets you strong for the next session! :rollgrin:

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:45 am

I have found that due to being able to be out on the water 3 times more often due to me taking up hydrofoiling, i needed to take up some sort of serious regular exercise to build my core strength and samina along with general suppleness, not to mention loosing a bit of weight.
After 13 months of regular 4-5 gym sessions/week of non stop 90 mins sweaty hard and fast gym work, low impact high burn exercises, which leave me temporarily exhausted but smiling, then followed by as many lengths of the swimming pool as i can manage has really changed my life.
weight loss and general fitness has shown just how beneficial this daily lifestyle has helped my foiling, a 5 hour session is now a joy on the days that allow it, instead of a 90 min session as before.
I am 64 in a few weeks, and feel 20 years younger, but once you get into a routine of going to the gym and pool early morning before breakfast the afternoon sessions on the water feel fantastic.
it has amazed me how much fitter you need to be to really get the best out of foilboarding, you cant get away with being lazy.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:54 am

Woah! What time do you get up in the morning?

I get up at 6:30 to get to work at 8:00. Get home at 6 and then look for time to get on the water. You must be getting up at 5am in order to get 90 minutes in the gym!

Return to “Kitesurfing”