Rare Poster
Local Beach: Frisco, Avon, Nags Head
Style: Strapless
Gear: Epic Surf kites with 18 m line, size 5, 8, 12
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fire Wire vanguard, Vader adding foil?

Postby clam111 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:56 pm

Has anyone ever made a FireWire Vader or vanguard into a foil board? Thinking of putting on the sticky mount 3m bracket to the bottom of a 3 year old Vader. Would appreciate help? Thanks

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Fire Wire vanguard, Vader adding foil?

Postby Slappysan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:08 am

I know a guy who had a tuttle box installed in his vanguard and some extra glass put on. I tried it out the other day and while it still carves nicely it feels like a log because it's so heavy.

You can see it here:
https://youtu.be/FdfJD28w6UU?t=310

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:16 am

Personally, I would do the conversion only if you want to "recycle" the Vader, and you don't want to use it either with or without foil.
Otherwise you end up with a bad compromise for both.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:12 pm

Agreed. Putting a mount in deadens a good surfboard. Adds at least a pound and changes flex.

Bit narrow for low end on a foil, and at this stage I would never go back to that much foam or a domed deck shape for foiling.

Besides, on the rare day you use both, two boards makes for a super quick kite in the air swap on the beach when the wind changes.

Makes sense for travel but definitely a compromise.

It’s hard to predict what you want for foiling before doing it a while. If it's an extra board kicking around and you want to save money getting into foiling, go for it. I put a mount in a surfboard for my first foil and it was a good learning set up, but now my preferred foil and surfboards are completely different.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:36 pm

I got a used vanguard to do this but haven't pursued it yet. Similar to posts above, now that I'm using a wakeskate I don't feel like I want to use a surfboard for foiling much anymore. But I do find it handy for traveling, I brought a converted surfboard and foil board to Maui and it was good to have just one board in the luggage. Keep in mind that if you use the stick on Mount, it won't work as a surfboard anymore.

My goal with Vanguard is actually to use it as a paddle surf foil, but I need to master the sup foil first, then see if I want to go there.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:25 am

Did it with my vanguard after I snapped it in half jumping a non kite construction.

1. If you add rails/ adjustable boxes it won't ride anywhere the same without some sort of box filler. I need to make some longboard box fillers for mine.
2. If you do do it, I'd go with a tuttle/pro/ single box mount. Especially with riding a foil strapless you don't really need the adjust-ability. You still want to find some sort of box filler but it alters the feel less than the double boxes.

Return to “Kitesurfing”