Forum for kitesurfers
BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash
Brand Affiliation: None

New lines - Dyneema Sk99

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:25 pm

Reading a few things online where people say the new Dyneema Sk99 lines makes the kite much more responsive versus the older and much weaker Sk75 Dyneema lines. Has anyone noticed this or made some lines of Dyneema SK99 recently ? (ideally 1.6mm)

Just found a great new Drneema for those interested - "Southern Ropes - Stealth Fibre GP-12", they claim a breaking strain of 880kg on the 2mm Dyneema which is extremely high breaking load for that diameter. I have ordered some for my single front line section on a Naish Torch bar (2014), the central black line which is 11m long.

Looking for 1.6mm flying lines, the Sk99 seems the best by a long way.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: New lines - Dyneema Sk99

Postby Mossy 757 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:04 pm

Wildly better. I made a few sets with the 1.3mm and its immediately noticeable.

Also, no shrink so far as I can tell.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:49 pm

All my clients immediately feel the difference when switching to a SK99 set of lines.
I use 500kg front and 300kg backlines, 1.7 and 1.1mm. Although some megaloop/stormkiters use 500kg for all lines as they feel more rigid and tangle less in 7bft+ winds.

For racing I use 300kg sk99 and 170kg sk90. It even holds when boosting in stronger winds.

I don't like the 0.8mm Liros 8-strand 160kg sk99 line. Harder to splice, rough outside weave and I couldn't get it above 130kg breaking strength on the splice while all other lines easily exceed their given breaking strength on my rig.

"Downside" to Sk99 is that it is so thin that you must use pigtails or Dyneema sleeves, it cuts right through the polyester sleeves when approaching half the breaking strength.

Evan - Infexion

Zian kiteboarding
Medium Poster
Gear: Aquila, Kima, Hantu
Brand Affiliation: Zian kiteboarding
Has thanked: 0

Postby Zian kiteboarding » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:04 pm

Thinner lines = less drag = faster response .... that is probably what you are talking about.

Same thickenss and elasticity.... doubt anybody will feel a difference on steering as the force/weight is relatively low.

People are not really objective if they know on forehand what they use. A blind test would make more sense.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

Zian kiteboarding wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:04 pm
Thinner lines = less drag = faster response .... that is probably what you are talking about.

Same thickenss and elasticity.... doubt anybody will feel a difference on steering as the force/weight is relatively low.

People are not really objective if they know on forehand what they use. A blind test would make more sense.
Yeah, that. I didn't notice a real difference when riding. They do last longer and are easier to handle though.

vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.

Postby vakiter » Sun May 22, 2022 7:22 pm

i noticed the lines on north navigator bar, which are sk99 i believe, get fuzzy really fast.

is this a problem for strength? i mean after a handful of sessions they already fuzzed up.

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Mon May 23, 2022 8:13 am

BillyGoatGruff wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:25 pm

Just found a great new Drneema for those interested - "Southern Ropes - Stealth Fibre GP-12", they claim a breaking strain of 880kg on the 2mm Dyneema which is extremely high breaking load for that diameter.
For info, I noticed the same. So I bought some 2mm Super12 and did a pull test on a couple of samples (terminated with spiced loops). They failed At 320 & 380kg. Nowhere near the claimed 850kg but more in line with other manufacturers.

This was quite a while back and now I can’t remember my source. I guess It’s possible I got some fake line?

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Mon May 23, 2022 8:46 am

I'm on team thinner lines make less drag making kite more responsive, new Duotone lines on bar and kite are very thin comparing to let say Core. I don't see how line thickness would affect stretchability. DT has SK99 on their bars isn't?

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Tue May 24, 2022 1:20 pm

I´ve switched from the 2018 Cabrinha lines (no idea which brand or type) to 1.6 mm SK99 (from Liros I guess) - many thanks to Evan :-)
To be honest, I didn´t notice any specific differences. The SK99 lines are super tightly woven and have a very significant wax cover, they seem very robust (mechanically).
SK99 is not necessarily equal to SK99, the product characteristics depend on the line manufacturer. There are quite a few. They all using different methods for weaving, streching, heat treatment, surface treatment / coating etc.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Tue May 24, 2022 1:32 pm

I use Braidtech for the Infexion lines, because of the better coating compared to the the other brands.

Cabrinha uses the sk75 version from braidtech.

Duotone uses a sk99 300 version with added nylon stiffners woven in making them thicker compared to other brands of the same strength. The nylon threads also adds to the wear of the front lines as they make the lines have a rougher surface.

Return to “Kitesurfing”