Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Re: Kite Release Training

Postby evan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:07 am

The chickenloop is a flawed design, 99% never unhook so why stick with a design that allows you to do that? This way there there is no incentive to practice the release ever, just unhook after your session, unclip the leash and pack up.

With a hooked-only design you can make the qr so that you are always connected and the only way to disconnect is to trigger the release, thus practicing and testing your qr every session!
Other advantage is that you will have one qr for all your bars, no mixing of different systems, less sand collecting in the qr as it is always connected to your harness and bringing the weight and costs of the bars down.

Sadly the fireball didn't go this path, that would have been really revolutionary.

Windstoked
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Thermalito Afterbay and Sherman Island, California
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Windstoked » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:51 pm

SaltWaterDog wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:16 am
we wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:35 pm
Not everyone kites in a place where you can practice.
Not sure what you mean. If you’re in an area where you can kite, you can practice self rescue.
Many kite sites have obstacles at the launch and people and other obstacles on the shore that make practicing difficult. Unless one wants to practice out in deep water, it's not practical.
The vast majority of kite launches in Northern California away from the open ocean do not have room to practice, and these launches all have plenty of stories of kitemares and near misses.
The downwind obstacles are not just a safety risk, they are a serious risk to a released kite, and I suspect one reason many don't release in time is fear of damaging their kite.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SaltWaterDog » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:58 pm

Windstoked wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:51 pm
SaltWaterDog wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:16 am
we wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:35 pm
Not everyone kites in a place where you can practice.
Not sure what you mean. If you’re in an area where you can kite, you can practice self rescue.
Many kite sites have obstacles at the launch and people and other obstacles on the shore that make practicing difficult. Unless one wants to practice out in deep water, it's not practical.
The vast majority of kite launches in Northern California away from the open ocean do not have room to practice, and these launches all have plenty of stories of kitemares and near misses.
The downwind obstacles are not just a safety risk, they are a serious risk to a released kite, and I suspect one reason many don't release in time is fear of damaging their kite.
I don’t mean to be blunt, apathetic or sanctimonious about this, but either you make a conscious effort to practice these things or you get what you deserve out there. “I have no choice but to kite in places where I can’t practice self rescue (so I must further compromise mine and potentially others safety)..” is just weak, don’t you think? Of course there are plenty of factors out of your control during a session, but I don’t think there’s any excuse for not having your end covered when it comes to Mother Nature. And screw the equipment. If someone can’t be bothered to get in a few drills each season because it’s just too much hassle finding an appropriate spot and putting in the time, well, I don’t want to be anywhere near that person out on the water.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:23 pm

I don't actively practice releasing but last time I needed to I reckon it was less than half a second between noticing the problem (line breaking during a jump) and pushing the release. Understanding the hazards and when you are beyond your capabilities is as important as trying to build muscle memory (with hindsight I could have probably landed fine and made it back to the beach safely but I was out of my comfort zone at that time).

Chicken loop makes it easy for me to swap kites mid session. I know the rope loop harness spreader also makes self launching from an anchor a bit more troublesome.

Why not check out NPs Halo spreader bar. Uses a closed loop instead of a hook?

Return to “Kitesurfing”