Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Kite company's are out of their minds

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:37 am

grigorib wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:55 am
Not below variable cost, I’d say.
Let’s say $200 complete is a great price for a board which lasts 5 years anyways
For a plank, that still seems too cheap...

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:32 am

fact is brands generally dont support youth in kiteboarding any more, they target high income /retired older riders. They used to support the youth movement and it thrived. $$$

You can see the change in target marketing if you look at adds from 12+ years ago and compare them to now.

entry
boards $399
kites 1299
harness $169

imo

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:22 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:32 am
fact is brands generally dont support youth in kiteboarding any more, they target high income /retired older riders. They used to support the youth movement and it thrived. $$$

You can see the change in target marketing if you look at adds from 12+ years ago and compare them to now.

entry
boards $399
kites 1299
harness $169

imo
+1

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:33 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:

entry
boards $399
kites 1299
harness $169

imo
I think that there's been cumulative inflation of about 25% in the US in the last 12 years - this needs to be factored in to get a proper comparison.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:23 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:37 am
grigorib wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:55 am
Not below variable cost, I’d say.
Let’s say $200 complete is a great price for a board which lasts 5 years anyways
For a plank, that still seems too cheap...
Saw other dealer selling complete new boards for $200. Wooden construction, lighter by a pound than my carbon Spleen (but shorter by 50mm too and narrower by 20mm). I wonder how cheap were they getting them for in first place.
From time to time there'll be one selling for less and snapping huge market share like Liquid Force did with Fishfoil but then again, Slingshot came back with 3 short masts for extra $150 and swung the pendulum their way.

Constant competition and high prices allow R&D, pay for terrible mistakes (fireball, Elite, GW2018, Phantom) and new players can cash out on gaps big guys' leave open - Cloud/Groove/Kanaha. The end result - riders have cool gear to ride, companies survive. win-win as I see it.

Overall 1-2 year old gear on sale is quite affordable, guys just need to keep their eyes open for these deals.

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:58 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:59 am
Craz Z wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:30 pm
Board- This is a tough one TT-100-200$
That seems a bit cheap :o
Yeah it probably is but i guess i don't value a TT much. I've always viewed them as tools like a hammer. Now directionals and foils I value more as vehicles thus a higher value. I guess there is more thought in shapping a board rather then programming a CNC router to plow out 1000's a day of wood planks and glue vs. intense man hours and multiple epoxy sessions in shaping a quality foam board that can withstand the pressures of foiling and strapless riding.

On top of that i might be biased as haven't ridden a TT in 3-4 years and the directional hasn't come out of the bag for at least a year strictly foiling right now.

TT are like snowboards i trash them so quickly that i would never see the difference between a highend board vs a low end board I go through a minimum of 1 snowboard a year kiting. TT I was always lazy leave the shore on land to water and ride er right back on shore when im done run em over rocks whatever they can certainly take a beating unlike the other disciplines I rarely even got my hair wet on a TT :D

dice
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID

Postby dice » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:49 am

Do you snowboard on tarmac or rocks or something like that? My snowboards have been gone on for years and years, while I'm often doing boardslides.
Just going downhill and jumps doesn't really wear out my board.

Same with my TT, it only wears out when I start in the sand. And it's going at a slow rate in my case.

JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby JustAGirl » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:47 am

longwhitecloud wrote:

entry
boards $399
kites 1299
harness $169

imo

You do realize you can donate your two year old material to younger guys who don’t have the means yet? Why do you want to take the bread from the mouths of the producers? Stupid!

Oh and BTW CHEAP liberal economies are not into supporting seniors or their youth anymore, they support migrants, illegal migrants! So the next generation of seniors won’t have the means to support kiteboarding.

Can you try for once to think things through to their logical conclusion or is that an alien skill on this planet these days? I don’t blame you! You’ve been fed liberal propaganda for decades. It rots the brain!

ThickAir
Medium Poster

Postby ThickAir » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:36 pm

JustAGirl wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:47 am
longwhitecloud wrote:

entry
boards $399
kites 1299
harness $169

imo

You do realize you can donate your two year old material to younger guys who don’t have the means yet? Why do you want to take the bread from the mouths of the producers? Stupid!

Oh and BTW CHEAP liberal economies are not into supporting seniors or their youth anymore, they support migrants, illegal migrants! So the next generation of seniors won’t have the means to support kiteboarding.

Can you try for once to think things through to their logical conclusion or is that an alien skill on this planet these days? I don’t blame you! You’ve been fed liberal propaganda for decades. It rots the brain!
Give the Neocon lunatic horseshit a rest, would you please? It's got no place here.
These users thanked the author ThickAir for the post:
Anthonyshopguy (Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:40 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:41 pm

dice wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:49 am
Do you snowboard on tarmac or rocks or something like that? My snowboards have been gone on for years and years, while I'm often doing boardslides.
Just going downhill and jumps doesn't really wear out my board.

Same with my TT, it only wears out when I start in the sand. And it's going at a slow rate in my case.
Snowkiting haven't been on a resort hill in longer then a decade. the speed and pressure is far too much for boards to handle I can burn the wax off in as little as 30mins of riding add in windblown spots surrounded by deep powder and you get core shots and ptex sessions that are almost every ride! Mostly near the beginning and the end of the season, and i have kited over a road really really bad for the board. I'm trying to be more aware of whats underneath the snow but its hard and the boards are cheap so just keep getting new ones after they look like swiss cheese. :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”