Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ambitious kiter looking for a two-kite-quiver

Forum for kitesurfers
Roon
Rare Poster
Gear: Currently I am renting gear (North, Core)
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ambitious kiter looking for a two-kite-quiver

Postby Roon » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:30 am

Hey guys,

I am looking for my first kites and need your help really bad. :D I can ride around quite good und also jump decently so I am not actually a beginner anymore. However, in August I am going to travel to Western Australia for a year where I really want to improve my skills. :D I am not sure about my favored riding style yet which makes the choice hard. I want to learn some basic freestyle moves (frontroll, backroll, raley,...) and also try wavekiting. I also can only afford two kites at the moment. Therefore, I need versatile kites with a big windrange. Is a combination of 8 and 11qm fine for WA`s conditions at 65kg (145lbs)? I might buy a third kite later when I know more about my riding style.
I could get a good deal on the following models:

F-One Bandit X
Naish Dash or Pivot (2017)
Slingshot RPM (2017)
Gaastra Pure (2017)

I know that some of those kites are entirely different. What would you recommend? Especially I am interested in the Pure because it is really cheap and I found very little information about it on the internet.

I hope you can help me because I am really confused :D Thank you very much!

Greetings Roon :bye:

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Re: Ambitious kiter looking for a two-kite-quiver

Postby iriejohn » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:41 am

I suggest that you post the above question on https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing

There is also a special section for Western Australia on the forum https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kit ... -Australia

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:46 am

If you are not sure and you can get a good deal on Pure that sounds perfect to me.

I have never ridden any of them so can't comment on it specifically. What you most often find asking these kind of questions is that people tend to fall in love with a certain brand - and will therefore recommend that brand to others. Very few, if any, will have experience from all those five kites and would be able to give you any personal feedback other than knowing the general characteristics of the different kites.

I love my Ozones, but I honestly can't say that they are better than comparable kites from basically any other brand (funnily enough the only kite I haven't liked was a Core some years ago - but I would never argue Core makes bad kites based on that one experience). Actually the only reason why I only have Ozone is due to the bar. I can't be bothered dragging a bunch of bars around so having one brand makes that part easier (and cheaper).

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:33 am

Havre wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:46 am
If you are not sure and you can get a good deal on Pure that sounds perfect to me.

I have never ridden any of them so can't comment on it specifically. What you most often find asking these kind of questions is that people tend to fall in love with a certain brand - and will therefore recommend that brand to others. Very few, if any, will have experience from all those five kites and would be able to give you any personal feedback other than knowing the general characteristics of the different kites.

I love my Ozones, but I honestly can't say that they are better than comparable kites from basically any other brand (funnily enough the only kite I haven't liked was a Core some years ago - but I would never argue Core makes bad kites based on that one experience). Actually the only reason why I only have Ozone is due to the bar. I can't be bothered dragging a bunch of bars around so having one brand makes that part easier (and cheaper).
You don't need "a bunch of bars" to fly 4 line low V equal line length kites. For example, I've successfully flown Cabrinha Contra, Slingshot Rally, and Ozone Enduro (V2) all on the same bars (Slingshot Compstick Sentinel, and Airush Smartbar converted to use cleated trim pulley).

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:33 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:33 am
Havre wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:46 am

You don't need "a bunch of bars" to fly 4 line low V equal line length kites. For example, I've successfully flown Cabrinha Contra, Slingshot Rally, and Ozone Enduro (V2) all on the same bars (Slingshot Compstick Sentinel, and Airush Smartbar converted to use cleated trim pulley).
Sure. It is a simplification (maybe also a bit of laziness from my part). And yes - I could very well end up replacing one of them with a different brand if necessary at one point. The point in this context was rather that I'm not married to Ozone because I think Ozone is that much better than everything else (even if I like my Ozones a lot).

Strictly speaking the standard Ozone bar isn't exactly similar to the one sold with the Zephyr.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:40 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:41 am
I suggest that you post the above question on https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing

There is also a special section for Western Australia on the forum https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kit ... -Australia
You are a very, very mean man :lol:

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:51 pm

Just use this adjustable Y line trick on any 4 line bar, theres bugger all tension that goes on it - you dont need a new bar for every kite.

Marc Bro will show you :cool2: https://youtu.be/uZbCb3N0EVY

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:35 pm

Sonic2, 9m and 13m.

Done.

Seabizzle
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Woodmans point, Leighton, Cottesloe, Scarborough
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui, Augusta Western Australia, Lancelin Western Australia
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: BWS Noise pro 10m, BWS noise classic 6m, Naish Fly 17m, Wainman Gambler 5'10"(R.I.P.) North Pro series 6'2, unidentified twin tip
Has thanked: 0

Postby Seabizzle » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:10 pm

Hi I am from western Australia, an 8+11 combo or even a 7m +10 will be the best choice for a 2 kite quiver in WA. We get some really strong winds here and at your weight you will need to consider the top end!

My advice would be a 7 and 10 pivot+ twin tip+ surfboard you will be covered from 15 knots to 30+ which will cover the vast majority of conditions here.

I am not a naish fan boy ( currently riding airush) but I suggest the pivot as it's a great kite to use with a twin tip and surfboard, has great low end and overall wind range and is fun and reliable in a wide range of conditions.

John Doe
Medium Poster
Gear: The cheap kind.

Postby John Doe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:48 pm

I'm in a windy spot in the US. I am 155 lbs. I have a 2017 Pivot 6 & 8 and I predominantly ride a surboard-directional. I pretty much only kite when it's 6 or 8 & I get a lot of days. I don't miss having a bigger kite than an 8!!!! :o :o :o :o

Return to “Kitesurfing”