Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Advice from an older married kiter to a young one

Forum for kitesurfers
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Advice from an older married kiter to a young one

Postby fernmanus » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:10 pm

I have been kiting for 18 years and I have learned a few things along the way that may help younger kiters in a serious relationship or married.

1. You don't need to teach your wife to kite. In fact, it may be better if she never learns. Let her do her thing and you do yours. Kiting takes serious patience, especially when you are learning. Hey, if she really wants to learn, don't hold her back, but if she is indifferent, encourage her to do other things while you kite. If she does want to kite, don't be her kite slave, let her set up her lines, carry her gear, etc. If you do all of the work for her, you are not going to not look forward to your sessions as much down the road.

2. Don't give a set time when you will return from a session. When she asks you what time you will be back, a good answer is "I will give you a call when I am on my way". The problem is that the wind, gear, or traffic can cause unforeseen delays. It is better to always keep your commitments than to make promises you cannot keep.

3. A good relationship is worth more than a good session. You don't have to kite every time the wind blows. In fact, missing some sessions will fuel your passions more than riding at every chance. If your schedule is limited, pick the very best days to go, don't sacrifice family life for mediocre sessions. Kiting is not the end all, be all of life. It is an amazing sport and hobby, but if it becomes the center of your life, you will live a less fulfilled life.

4. Your best kiting years are ahead of you if you take good care of yourself. Dedicate yourself to your career and your family. When you are older, you will have the time and resources to travel and kite much more than when you were younger.

5. It is better to have kids when you are young and full of energy, than to raise kids when you are older. My youngest was born when I was 30. I am now 51 and I don't have any kids at home, that gives me a lot of freedom compared to guys that waited until their 40's to have kids.

Why are you still reading the rantings of an old fart? Get out there and kite! :thumb:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Advice from an older married kiter to a young one

Postby Toby » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:58 pm

Nice write up!

But...3.:

If kiting is the center of your life, it is the best you can have! Just make sure to not be in a serious relationship!

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SaltWaterDog » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:24 am

Like Football Manager except you’re off the premises.

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:28 am

Nice write up!

But 4...:

Kids demand a lot of time, energy and money. I enjoyed my life full throttle from 20 to 40, then had my kids at 40.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:51 am

Not sure about #3:
How is being fullfilled by another person better than being fullfilled by kiting? Either can let you down, either can become uninteresting & addiction is addiction. To be clear, 😂 it’s a joke. Mostly.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:29 am

It comes down to respect.
Very nice write up but there’s time for non-religious folks when they have got everything they ever modestly wanted and that moment makes you look back at why and what you ever wanted. And you’re blessed if your significant other still respects you after that point, not because you don’t deserve respect but because your values might make hard swift - and you’re not the person you’ve been before.
It comes down to respect

gilana
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 70KG
Local Beach: We live on our sailing yacht and at the moment we are in the San Blas Islands of Panama, and we sometimes have visiting guests to come spend a week of wind with us...

Laura and Mike
Favorite Beaches: Chameys in San Andres Isla Colombia
Yansaladup in Kuna Yala Panama
Style: Old School
Gear: Ozone Edge 9m V8
Ozone Edge 9m V9
Ozone Edge 10m V9
Caution Santa Cruz Redline 132 TT
Epic Droid V2 135x41 TT
Chemical 132 TT
North Directional
Brand Affiliation: None, I wish.

Postby gilana » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:57 am

There is nothing better than sharing the stoke with your wife!
IMG-20170720-WA0015.jpg

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:53 am

Family comes first. Good advice ferny.

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:42 am

Nah! Kite or death! :lol:

Barryg101
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Obidos & Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Dahkla
Style: Freestyle , Big Air & Megaloops
Gear: Eleveight FS & Cabrinha FX

Postby Barryg101 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:09 am

My partner loves to kite too and it's perfect spending most our time exploring new spots and meeting like minded people ...

I taught her how to kite but if I could do it over I would have gotten some lessons for her .

Return to “Kitesurfing”