Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Launching a kite when no one is around

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Launching a kite when no one is around

Postby Laughingman » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:11 pm

Hugh2 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:37 pm

And it's what we do all the time at our local lake launch site where there is no beach. But we engage the chicken loop before walking out and releasing the kite to drift, rather than let the kite go onto the leash, because if you do the latter your bar will take off up the lines and you have to recover it. And then if something is wrong you can release to the leash and go back in and try again. It's not unusual to try several times as we have sticks and weeds and all sorts of crap to avoid on the edge of our lake as we trail the lines behind us walking out. If anyone else is around we ask them to watch our lines as we walk out to avoid catching debris.
Personally I wrap my lines to avoid the debris and then unwrap them with my kite tethered to my leash as I walk out, then let the kite go to launch. Just makes everything go that much easier.

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windybrit » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:23 pm

Laughingman has pointed out concerns over drift launch so i'll not reiterate.
I drift launch not infrequently and one thing I'd suggest you add to your procedure is as follows.
After you are in the water with the lines spooled out, place the kite on the water facing you then push it down to well flood the canopy before you let go. It'll drift more slowly as it's heavier, and will be be less prone to catch a piece of chop and flying up inverted. You want to be able to walk back upwind to get line tension before turning the kite and water launching, at a speed you, not the kite, dictates.

espana23 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:51 am
Hi,

I've read and seen many videos describing the dangers of launching a kite on your own when no one is around. One method that I didn't see mentioned (and I am guessing there is a good reason for it but can't think of it) is to setup the kite and lines on the beach (have the kite facing down as usual) and connect only the safety ring to your leash (chicken loop not connected to your harness). You can then go pick the kite up (face up so it's easier to handle while walking) and walk to the sea being careful with the lines not to get caught on anything. Once you get in the sea, making sure you go deep enough so when the kite is downwind from you it will sit in the sea and not touch the beach, you let the kite free lying in the sea (since only the flag line is connected it will not have any power), and once the kite moves all the way downwind from you then proceed to launch the kite in the same way that you would if you have used your quick release in a normal session (i.e. connect the chicken loop and launch in the sea).

Two potential issues I see are (1) if you make a mistake when connecting the lines to the kite and don't realise before the actual launch then you would have a problem and (2) when walking to the sea things can easily get caught up in your lines.

Would this method work?

Thanks.

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:37 pm

when I drift launch in stronger wind, I tend to walk back in an angle to the side...

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:21 pm

foilholio wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Self launching is easy. Why would you use someone to help you launch? I never do.
Same here....we actually agree on something !!

Ram airs @1000 times= sand on folded upwind wingtip... launch 45 degrees to kite.

Inflatos @2500 times = sandbag 1/3-2/3 on "not" folded upwind wingtip tube...secure kite flat on it's back for no spin out..launch 45 degrees to kite
That's one LEI method for medium and small kites
There's an other sandbag method for large LEI kites

espana23
Medium Poster
Gear: NA

Postby espana23 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:12 am

windybrit wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:23 pm
Laughingman has pointed out concerns over drift launch so i'll not reiterate.
I drift launch not infrequently and one thing I'd suggest you add to your procedure is as follows.
After you are in the water with the lines spooled out, place the kite on the water facing you then push it down to well flood the canopy before you let go. It'll drift more slowly as it's heavier, and will be be less prone to catch a piece of chop and flying up inverted. You want to be able to walk back upwind to get line tension before turning the kite and water launching, at a speed you, not the kite, dictates.

espana23 wrote:
Hi,

I've read and seen many videos describing the dangers of launching a kite on your own when no one is around. One method that I didn't see mentioned (and I am guessing there is a good reason for it but can't think of it) is to setup the kite and lines on the beach (have the kite facing down as usual) and connect only the safety ring to your leash (chicken loop not connected to your harness). You can then go pick the kite up (face up so it's easier to handle while walking) and walk to the sea being careful with the lines not to get caught on anything. Once you get in the sea, making sure you go deep enough so when the kite is downwind from you it will sit in the sea and not touch the beach, you let the kite free lying in the sea (since only the flag line is connected it will not have any power), and once the kite moves all the way downwind from you then proceed to launch the kite in the same way that you would if you have used your quick release in a normal session (i.e. connect the chicken loop and launch in the sea).

Two potential issues I see are (1) if you make a mistake when connecting the lines to the kite and don't realise before the actual launch then you would have a problem and (2) when walking to the sea things can easily get caught up in your lines.

Would this method work?

Thanks.
Thanks for the advice. This is useful.

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave

Postby alfredo68 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:19 am

Sometimes when the water level at my spot is too high and wind slight cross off I put my kite on the shore, extend my lines towards the water , eject the kite by the quick realese and swim in with my surfboard (dragging the kite behind by the safety line/leash) once in the wind area reset the chicken loop hook quickly and launch. Tricky but not other options. Sometimes seaweed can cause trouble with my lines.
Last edited by alfredo68 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:49 am

Ideal conditions.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:54 am

This can be done with the kite at the waters edge and the board leaning on the kite in such a way that it will slide off as you turn the kite, then after launch get the board.

kiteontario
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Nobile
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kiteontario » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:07 pm

I much prefer a tethered launch

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:29 am

espana23 wrote:

Would this method work?

Yes. I think it's the single best way to drift launch. Others have added their versions but the general idea is excellent. That is if the beach permits this sort of launch. I just have to think the real reason this method isn't more popular is that kiters hate it when the kite gets wet and they have to dry it out.

Return to “Kitesurfing”