Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cabrinha Kite Bladder: Repair or Replace?

Forum for kitesurfers
beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.
Brand Affiliation: None

Cabrinha Kite Bladder: Repair or Replace?

Postby beebad » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:02 am

So , I may or may not have a leak in my 2016 12m switchblade bladder.
First have to find instructions for removing bladder, but has to be self evident once I look at the kite and bladder valves to the struts...

replace or repair?

how good is the best patch job?

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Re: Cabrinha Kite Bladder: Repair or Replace????

Postby Pemba » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:30 am

I would say it depends a bit on what sort of leak it is (pinhole, valve coming unglued, valve cracked) but very likeley I would say repair. For a pinhole, defenately repair. For a valve coming unglued (very unusual for Cabrinhas of this age in my opinion) the problem might extend itself to other valves but they are relatively easy to glue back on - although I've never done that for a Cabrinha, I'm assuming they are not significantly different from other makes. If it's a cracked valve (as a result of UV I guess), then you'd have to consider that there's other valves with probably the same issue coming up, you'd need to think of buying lots of new valves so in that case I would consider buying a new bladder. The best patch job is pretty good, lasts for years but you have to get the right glue. Lots of information on that on this forum. I've used the wrong glue a few times and the fix will last for a few months then come undone, and then to fix it again is a hassle because you can't really get the glue remains off the bladder.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:14 am

Don't remove the bladder before doing a screening leak test, which about 95% of the time will tell you the general area of the leak :

1. Pump the kite up very firm
2. Coat the leading edge bladder pocket, valves, hoses with a 10 - 15 : 1 mixture of soapy water ( 10 - 15 parts water, 1 part liquid dish soap )
3. Look closely for bubbles

If there's a bladder pinhole, usually the bubbles will form on nearby stitching holes in the fabric, so the test won't tell you the exact location of the pinholes, but will greatly narrow the search for the exact hole location(s).

If it's leaking from a cracked hose, or poor seal between hose and valve, this test will save you removing the LE bladder needlessly.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:49 pm

+1 - I agree with GregK. If the soapy water test doesn't indicate the location of the leak, take your inflated kite into the shallow water at your launch site (or local lake) and submerge the bladder section by section. You will find the leak.

Unless a bladder has been blown apart, a repair is usually fine. I have repaired huge holes in bladders with good success. Pinholes or leaky valves are very easy to repair. But locating and assessing the leak is a prerequisite to deciding whether repair or replacement is the better option.

rleshem
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha Kite Bladder: Repair or Replace?

Postby rleshem » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:56 pm

I’ve repaired a bladder on a switchblade. It was not too bad.
I took the bladder out, pumped it and then submerged it section by section in a bucket of water to find the pinhole.
Circle it, dry the bladder and patch if using the clear patching square supplied with kite. I think I deflated before patching . Reinflate to make sure it holds air.

There are some good youtube videos on how to take the bladder out and put it in.

beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:54 pm

THANKS everyone! I knew my first place to check is this forum for big time help as always......

RideLow
Frequent Poster
Gear: Wipika Free air! <3
Brand Affiliation: Blue Waffle

Postby RideLow » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:35 am

Return to “Kitesurfing”