Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do all kites invert equally?

Forum for kitesurfers
caps
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Do all kites invert equally?

Postby caps » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:29 am

I was wondering if all kites invert equally. I’m planning on getting some smaller kites to teach my daughter and was wondering if there’s a certain style/brand/whatever that gets inverted more or less. I learned on rallys and I inverted them regularly. Now as I got better, it never happened. ...until I took up foiling and started to slack my lines again... Are wave kites better able to drift and thus avoid the nose dive/kite roll resulting in an inversion? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Last edited by caps on Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Re: Do all kites invert equally?

Postby Foil » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:55 am

caps wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:29 am
I was wondering if all kited invert equally. I’m planning on getting some smaller kites to teach my daughter and was wondering if there’s a certain style/brand/whatever that gets inverted more or less. I learned on rallys and did it regularly. Now as I got better, it never happened. ...until I took up foiling and started to slack my lines again. Are Wave kites better able to drift back and avoid the nose dive/kite roll? Thoughts?

Thanks!
for the first time in years yesterday I witnessed a kite invert in very gusty conditions, and for a while it spun wildly out of control, after a few hundred yards it flipped back to normal but I could see a few reasons why it might have inverted,
the kite was under inflated, and the shape was of the flat sort of profile so it was easy for the top surface of the kite to get pushed down when tilted due to under inflation or very slack lines in gusty strong winds, all of which was happening, and it was scary to watch.
but as I said, I have not seen this happen for years, and the kite I was looking at looked of old design.
I changed to a wave style kite soon after buying a hydrofoil board, which after months of use has opened my eyes to how good this style of kite is for my Ttip and the foil board, my choice is the Ozone Reo, it is much better than many other kites i have wasted time and cash on over the last 14 months trying to find the perfect kite for both disciplines.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:02 am

II’m quite happy with Naish Boxer and Ride as kid kites. Easy to keeep in the air and make power. Easy relaunch. Small sizes don’t suffer shoulder collapses. The bridle is shorter than the wingtip, reducing the risk for wraps. The depower throw is in range for shorter arms. They aren’t the best jumpers or fastest upwind but no drama so far = inspires confidence.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:05 pm

I've inverted my Slingshot SST 10m and 12m on quite a few occasions. I've done it on pretty much with all of my kites but these two just stand out as I can remember it happening more often with them. The short bridle just acts weird during relaunch.

caps
Medium Poster

Postby caps » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:43 am

Is the SS rally an above average inverter? Maybe it’s because I kite a lot in the NW US, but I once inverted rallys plenty myself, and now I seem to notice other riders rolling them more and inverting lines. Is it just cuz I’m in Slingshot central or not? Being from the NW, I can get a screaming deal on rally quivers but worry about this “apparent” tendency. It’s probably just confirmation bias.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:40 am

All kites invert equally. But some are more equal than others!
These users thanked the author plummet for the post:
pj sofine (Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:05 pm

I bought a rally for my son as a beginner kite and was surprised to see it inverting multiple times now. Even standing at the water edge let’s it sometimes flip inwards ... not too impressed.

caps
Medium Poster

Postby caps » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:50 am

I’m wondering if the delta shape is just front heavy. Slack lines maybe results in a nose dive more likely than other kites. I’m no engineer obviously. Just a thought.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:46 pm

I haven't inverted a kite in many years like 5 years and I ride a lot and this year I'm mostly foiling. I think it's mostly a piloting thing when you see the lines are slack you don't let it get to the point where it's slack enough to invert you dive it down a little bit on both sides to keep more canopy exposed to the wind and the slack will go away. Yes a wave kite will drift more easily downwind so it should be less likely to have slack lines and less likely to invert.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:58 pm

I think all kites invert equally. If lines go slack, most kites will roll if the wind is strong enough. I think it's good to teach (advanced) beginners how to rectify an inversion on the water. A lot of (most?) kiters don't know how, but it'll save you a trip to the beach and a lot of headaches if you learn (and teach others) the technique.

Coincidentally, my kite inverted yesterday. First time in years. My chicken loop deployed (mechanical design issue - LF bar) during a surface loop, the lines went slack, and the kite rolled. I was at least a half mile from shore, and it would've been a long swim if I didn't know how to deal with the inversion on the water.

Return to “Kitesurfing”