Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Bend Oregon Kitesurfing/Snowkiting?

Postby Osprey1 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:12 pm

Thinking about moving to Bend, Oregon. I know the Coast and Gorge are about 3 hours away but are there any decent kiting/foiling locations on any of the lakes within a 60-90 minute drive? If so, how do you forecast?

What about snowkiting there? I know in 2008 there was some great snowkiting to be had by the Sisters. Has this been shut down by the forest service or are there other good locations with snow machine access that provide gliding opportunities?

Big thanks!

coupdevill
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Favorite Beaches: Hood River, Hatteras, SPI
Style: Chaotic
Gear: Slingshot & Ride Engine
Has thanked: 0

Re: Bend Oregon Kitesurfing/Snowkiting?

Postby coupdevill » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:43 pm

Don't move to Bend for the wind, not gonna happen, drive to Rufus when it blows out east. Snowkiting,limited at best, check with Pepi at 2nd Wind in Hood River.

coup

caps
Medium Poster

Re: Bend Oregon Kitesurfing/Snowkiting?

Postby caps » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:03 pm

I’m from Bend and have seen this same question posed on nwkite more than once. As stated above, no one moves to Bend for wind. Yes, you can get get some cool sessions occasionally at the local alpine lakes. But in reality, when you have world class kite spots in the gorge and Oregon coast just 2-4 hours away, we get spoiled for those conditions and make a weekend of it. And regards to snowkiting, you’ll need a sled for any real snowkiting with kind of a maverick/rules don’t apply to me attitude. Again, easier to just park at the ski resort and shred the back side. Winter kiting for me is the Oregon coast- epic! Move to Bend if you love the outdoors, have time to travel for wind, enjoy great beer and want to hang with likeminded people!

Return to “Kitesurfing”