Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Re: Triple & quad ripstop

Postby windmaker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:17 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:32 am
windmaker wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:38 am
To be 100% objectif some kite manufacturers (don't know about the new Naish) are using thicker (not stronger) threads on their leading edge which is theoretically less likely to cut through the cloth.
Roughly speaking the strength of a thread is determined by the square of its thickness so for this to be the case a proportionally weaker thread would have to be used.
The strength of the thread does not matter, even the weakest strength is strong enough, the thicker thread off course will be stronger but that's not why it is used, the thicker thread will not cut as easily through the cloth and therefore make a stronger seam.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby iriejohn » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:23 pm

windmaker wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:17 pm
iriejohn wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:32 am
windmaker wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:38 am
To be 100% objectif some kite manufacturers (don't know about the new Naish) are using thicker (not stronger) threads on their leading edge which is theoretically less likely to cut through the cloth.
Roughly speaking the strength of a thread is determined by the square of its thickness so for this to be the case a proportionally weaker thread would have to be used.
The strength of the thread does not matter, even the weakest strength is strong enough, the thicker thread off course will be stronger but that's not why it is used, the thicker thread will not cut as easily through the cloth and therefore make a stronger seam.
You missed the point, it was you who said "thicker (not stronger)".

ced1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
Style: Big air, wave riding
Gear: Airush, Underwave

Postby ced1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:21 am

Another point to take into consideration in the argument for thicker ripstop is flexibility. The stiffer the material, the more it suffers in any fluttering. Stiffer ripstop will show cracks if exposed to flapping or fluttering (like when your kite is on the beach)
Ripstop is not inherently flexible but lighter ripstop seems to suffer less from the fluttering/flapping.

Just my observations of kites that use different ripstop.

Ced

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:12 am

don't know if this has been here already, but some evidence (by Naish so take it...) on quad tex, at least in these tests:

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:23 am

Making strong is easy, making light and strong not so much..

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:49 am

So all of a sudden almost no difference between 9600 and D2 anymore? Very strange... someone must be lying.

ced1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
Style: Big air, wave riding
Gear: Airush, Underwave

Postby ced1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:18 am

Elongation test? Would be interested to see how that was done and how it relates to real kiteboarding situation.

Yes the strength of the material and it's stretchability would be important, but the most important?
What about: resistance to violent impact, resistance to flapping, sun exposure, resistance to stretch over time Weight to strength ratio...
In my opinion at least.

I do appreciate the fact that independent tests in controlled environments would be costly and time consuming.

Ced

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:19 pm

ced1 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:18 am
Elongation test? Would be interested to see how that was done and how it relates to real kiteboarding situation.

Yes the strength of the material and it's stretchability would be important, but the most important?
What about: resistance to violent impact, resistance to flapping, sun exposure, resistance to stretch over time Weight to strength ratio...
In my opinion at least.

I do appreciate the fact that independent tests in controlled environments would be costly and time consuming.

Ced
To the above should be added the fact that in the event of a tear the way the fabric tears is important because it directly influences the ease and cost of repairing a panel. A straight tear is far simpler to repair than a zig-zag jagged tear.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:24 pm

How is it possible that Naish has the new quadtex. exclusively? I would think they are just minor users compared to the overall market, whatever that is. Can a new fabric be developed, produced for such a small market?

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lokihel » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:12 pm

pj sofine wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:24 pm
How is it possible that Naish has the new quadtex. exclusively? I would think they are just minor users compared to the overall market, whatever that is. Can a new fabric be developed, produced for such a small market?
Ask and thou shall get I suppose.

I am almost certain that it is produce by same machine as the other 'newer' Teijin ripstop.
They probably just asked to have a batch made with a given spacing and ripstop every so many threads, and the guys at the Teijin factory set-up the machine for it.

Obviously this is highly simplified, I don't think it is a simple as asking them nicely to make something just for you.
On the other hand, I doubt Teijin had to spend any money of R&D to produce the material. It's like asking a bakery to make slightly larger croissants for you...

Return to “Kitesurfing”