Style: Big Air, Freeride, Photography
Gear: Core XR5
Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq
Brand Affiliation: None

Which is your preferred trim system?

Postby k2thiago » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:41 am

Hi guys, with so many different trim systems on the market i would like to ask you which one do you prefer, and, why? Also, can you point the advantages and disadvantages?

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Re: Which is your preferred trim system?

Postby Macster » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:49 pm

Ozone or cabrinha bungee cord. No magnet or velcro bs that never works.

dice
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID

Postby dice » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:11 pm

North click bar. But a bit too expensive for me though.

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:06 pm

Click bar is my favorite so far. Seems to be holding up fine so far

Clew in

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster

Postby vannibombonato » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:20 pm

Click bar is honestly really good. Besides the click trim system the no-front-line-twisting feature is really super cool (I’ve never seen any of the other brands “auto-untwist ever actually reliably working).

It’s obviously expensive and obviously a luxury: nobody “needs” it, but if you can afford it, why not.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:21 pm

Have never tried a rear line adjustment system like the newest North,Duotone,Ocean Rodeo concept. Definitely understand the draw of a clean and visually unencumbered system. Most of my riding these days is with a trimless bar that I rate highly.

Ill give the rear line bars a couple years before I go that way, mostly because I have so many nice bars that it will take a few years before I need something else.

For utility, it all got decent with the introduction of the movable above bar cleat. Obviously getting a decent one that doesn't slip is key. Have never had a slipping issue with the simple Clam cleat after market version that has been used by many in the kite industry. There are many proprietary versions out there that I cannot comment on other than the concept is great. Less clutter than the previous use of webbing and toggles. Simple, small increment sensitive, adjustable throw length, with easy rope replacement and adjustment. These were a key evolution from the pull pull strap systems. I hated those. They all eventually began to slip and were way more tangle prone than a rope and cleat.

Have had many and still have one below bar cleat system. Don't really mind it, but it is just not as functional while riding and takes a bit more knowhow or planning to adjust during moments of unloading. They also require the depower line run through the bar twice adding to bulk and line wear through the bar.

For free ride foiling with small kites and bigger wings..... trimless

For mostly onshore waves on a surfboard. Above or below bar as long as its a decent cleat.

For twin tip, I find the above bar trim cleat with rope the easiest to dial in the sweet spot for unhooking and going back and forth between that and full power for boost or upwind work.

Last is the pull pull trim strap of old. I can't really understand why airush have perpetuated this system long past its best before date.

WindJunkieFL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 165
Local Beach: Jacksonville Beach
Favorite Beaches: Caye Caulker Belize
Sunshine Skyway Bridge Florida
Style: Free rider
Gear: 13m Cabrinha Contra
11m Cabrinha Switchblade
11m Cabrinha AV8
9m Cabrinha Velocity
8m North Orbit
CrazyFly Raptor
CrazyFly Cruiser LW
Been thanked: 0

Postby WindJunkieFL » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:18 pm

I've been using Cabrinha's trim lite since 2016, it's my favorite bar. Super clean set up, easy rotatable inner two lines for untwisting, perfect throw length between the chicken loop and the top bump stopper (I don't use the Fireball connection). I recently bought a new 2017 Cabrinha trim lite bar brand new for $275. You can find good deals on new gear that is a year or two old, especially with 2019s rolling out this week for the Cab line up.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:09 pm

New Ozone bar is great. ATB with bungee and simple click reload, like a seat belt. Easiest out there. Great lines, easy center untwist by hand. Comfortable bar grip. It all just works, does what you need and nothing weird.

kitelife
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Secret Spots with iKitesurf meters.
Style: Surf and Foil
Gear: slingshot, north/duotone

Postby kitelife » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:03 pm

Slingshot Guardian: Very few moving parts with cleat and thick bomb proof lines. Kept simple and easy to inspect.

kitelife
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Secret Spots with iKitesurf meters.
Style: Surf and Foil
Gear: slingshot, north/duotone

Postby kitelife » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:26 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:21 pm
Clam cleat... ...These were a key evolution from the pull pull strap systems. I hated those. They all eventually began to slip and were way more tangle prone than a rope and cleat.

Have had many and still have one below bar cleat system. Don't really mind it, but it is just not as functional while riding and takes a bit more knowhow or planning to adjust during moments of unloading. They also require the depower line run through the bar twice adding to bulk and line wear through the bar.
Can’t agree more with the pull strap system. I learned with this system (above the bar depower). It never worked, so there was never really a depower. Bar had a lot of throw though so that was it, that was the depower.

The clam cleat is the best system. It’s simple and easy to inspect. I wouldn’t trust bars with additional moving parts that are concealed. You know when there is wear and when it needs replacing with clam cleats. Keep it simple.

Return to “Kitesurfing”