Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Gear that has exceeded your expectations!

Forum for kitesurfers
dpca10
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Gear that has exceeded your expectations!

Postby dpca10 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:06 pm

I am looking for some new gear that will get me excited about kiting again.

I was heavy into it from 2005-2013 but then just sorta got bored. I hate to say I found mountain biking or surfing a lot more fun. I have freestyle gear, early foil board surfboards, etc... I bought 2016 envy kites which were very composed but did everything well and nothing great. I still occasionally ride my Nobile 50/50 or my skin.

I’d love to hear about anything you’ve ridden that has just blown your mind. A board that was so smooth or a kite that you couldn’t believe the hangtime on? I’m willing to make a few purchases to try and reignite the spark. Please post if something blew your mind this year.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Gear that has exceeded your expectations!

Postby edt » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:18 pm

hydrofoil

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:36 pm

For me (76 Kilos) the Flysurfer Soul 12….for your weight probably the 18 m is a better choice. One of the best foil kite I've ever flown.

Cheers

Carlo

In this pic you can see the 15 Soul in action today in my home spot (center of Italy) in marginal west wind (average 9 Knots).
Attachments
vlcsnap-2018-08-13-17h52m06s742 (2).jpg
vlcsnap-2018-08-13-17h52m06s742 (2).jpg (87.53 KiB) Viewed 4138 times

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:41 pm

Great search. I too would love to hear about exciting twintips, after having been in surfboards exclusively I want to get back into big air again.

For me, the RRD Religion wave kite blew my mind. Total control, power on demand. Not sure you are looking for a wavekite, though.

My waveboard puts a big smile on my face as well. It's everything I want in a waveboard, sooooo much fun. Fast, reactive and well balanced both on the water as in the air. It's an Appletree Klokhouse Noseless, carbon version. I think the board really got my juices flowing again, after twenty years of kiting and some years of stagnation and even boredom.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:20 pm

I have a decent quiver of kites and boards built up over the years. Most of it I like enough to consider a permanent part of the collection, regardless how much use it gets. There are only a few pieces I would replace immediately in the case of loss.

My foil (zeeko), my strutless kites (clouds), my onewheel.

These are the essential components to my "float life" addiction.

They get the vast majority of use and are worth every penny.

Everything else I would take my time, shop around, and find the right deal, but for those key pieces...... I'd pull out the visa within minutes relishing the idea of getting my hands on their latest offering.

Maybe add my harness (Ride Engine).

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.

Postby SaltWaterDog » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:52 pm

Hmm. I don’t think there’s one company that’s miles ahead of the competition. Most make a great booster, looper etc. I threw some savings at new XR kites and Fusion board last summer and love all of it. I don’t doubt there are other all-rounders that are just as good but I’ve not tried anything better over the last year. Boosts like a rocket and handles like power stearing. In terms of board? I’m afraid to suggest anything since that’s such a subjective thing. Love my Fusion, have a date with a Choice 3 some time in the next few weeks and just had a session with a borrowed CF Raptor and had a blast. Imperator 6 is right up there with the best of them. I started when you dropped the sport and a lot has happened in 5 years. Won’t be long before you can get one kite that really does it all. So many cross-over kites already it’s hard to keep track of. Pretty much all good stuff these days and I think the only ones who get it wrong are newcomers who don’t take the time to demo and do some homework before they buy. That shouldn’t be a problem for you though. Hope you find that itch again..

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:37 am

Hate to say it, but you're just in a major funk, new gear won't make any difference. Do what I did ,take some pills, its cheaper.

toddalbinson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wrightsville beach NC
Carolina beach
The Basin
Masonboro Island
Favorite Beaches: Any with wind
Style: wake,free,surf
Gear: Switch,Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: Switch team Rider

Postby toddalbinson » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:47 am

Skimboard with small kite. Add some fungus.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:57 am

To eliminate the boredom, maybe try a totally new angle in the sport, not just new equipment similar to your old stuff. By that, I mean approach the sport differently. If you've never tried hydrofoiling, maybe that's the answer. Or try a buggy or landboard, or plan a snowkiting trip.

I have always used LEI's and mostly TT's, and I was feeling stale and in a rut about a year ago. I picked up a used Flysurfer Speed 4, and now I look forward to light wind days when I can use the Speed. The technique is different from flying an LEI, and the hangtime is crazy good. I still ride my TT's and LEI's a lot, but the foil kite helps mix it up a bit and keeps things interesting. :thumb:

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:02 am

Waves

Return to “Kitesurfing”