Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: freeride/wave
Gear: all that is good quality and affordable
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Switch Helium 3

Postby mattenzuchtig » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:57 pm

It seems the Helium3 kites are simply ""re-branded" Storm Voyager kites from France. The Element6 seems to be an Ikon Peak.
Not to say that is bad, but maybe get some reviews if you search at Storm voyager?
Matti

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:55 am

alford wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:00 am

Great review, any updates on this lovethepirk? Did you solve the lean issue, how about TT riding? Thanks!
alford,

I sent the kite back to Switch due to lean to the left when hydrofoiling and more importantly jumping right foot forward. I have a race foil and ride fast and jump alot tho. I'm probably putting 18-24knots of wind over the kite typically even in 12knots of wind....The report back from them was a twisted bladder...Tested it on 3 bars, 2 of which I reversed all the lines on. Switch was good to me and honored their guarantee as a replacement or money back. My only advice to them is begin the start date for their money back as the date the user gets the kite vs the ship date. As is, their fine print states you have 30 days to return the kite based on their shipping date. This means you may only have 7-10 days to test the kite. If I didn't hydrofoil, I still wouldn't have tested the kite.

The kite is solid, it does not distort under extreme loops and I am 95kg/205lbs. The leading edge and struts are smaller in diameter than my 17m Contra, but the kite pulls me outta the water nicely. Speed wise it is what you expect out of a 16m, it isn't fast or slow if you have flown big kites. It was fast enough to traverse the window enough times hydrofoiling in 10knots to get going on a small race foil tho which is my biggest concern....I have a 15m foil kite that is too slow to foil in light wind bc it is just too slow for the low end.

Although I did not fly the kite with a TT, I would suspect you get a decent low end with it, nothing spectacular, but nice. Probably a little better high end when you have speed if you happen to fly on flatter water. I'd love to fly the kite with my 160cm TT and see how she goes, I think she'd love that setup.

I can ONLY comment on relaunch in sub par conditions....we are talking 10knots with mild gusts....she will not want to relaunch unless you work her onto her trailing edge and yank the hell outta the center lines. If you are foiling you need your board with you so you can push against the board a little with at least your hand to give you that little extra tension before you try to pull those lines. The kite also will also hindenburg if you put her at 12 and push the bar out, OR if you have the kite somewhat deeper in the window than 12 and abrupty push the bar out. I tested this on a sand bar bc if happend to me when I didn't transition perfectly on the hydrofoil and got hindenburgs that I have never gotten EVER on my Contra even in light winds. I will say as long as you learn the kite and understand this going in the kite does go upwind and goes faster than my Contra. I was VERY impressed with some of my angles getting back after going way downwind on the foil in light wind.

I hope that helps. I'll let you know if I pull the trigger on a new 16m an a 12m nitro as I am eyeballing that to replace my 12m switchblade, I just really need to demo kite at this point. Yo Dimitri...I need to demo that 12m screamer in Naples. :D

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:27 am

Thanks very much for taking time to write. Just have to ask why did you try the H3 16 if you have the Contra 17? I think I understand though, always looking for something better? That's how I am too. The allure of a very capable kite at that price is very tempting!

Alysum
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Gear: a kite
Been thanked: 0

Postby Alysum » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:49 pm

Having been a long time Switch kites user, I'm having a lot of issues with my H3 12m.
It keeps dropping out of the sky all the time when it's at 12 (and often inverts). This doesn't happen with my Elements 3 & 5.
Not very happy with this kite...
Any tips welcome

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:47 pm

alford wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:27 am
Thanks very much for taking time to write. Just have to ask why did you try the H3 16 if you have the Contra 17? I think I understand though, always looking for something better? That's how I am too. The allure of a very capable kite at that price is very tempting!
alford,

My 17 Contra is a great kite, but it pulls so hard one direction that it is miserable to fly on the hydrofoil. Once I am going 20mph+ I have to double hand one side of the bar. A local teacher wanted to buy it and I would not sell it, it just isn't safe unless it is a very light day. Hence I wanted to buy the 16m Helium. I returned it and bought a 15m SS Turbine...should get that next week. 5 strut so not as light wind efficient, but what the hell. I could still keep flying my 17m Contra like I did last week, but when tacking on the hydrofoil I have to pull the right side of the bar, then tap the left side of the bar so it doesn't yard me, then pull in on the bar, then pull the right side....it's just too much input and it is retarding my progression tacking and jibing. I love the Contra but it is too loopsided to fly now. I still use it when it's 10 knots and I need to get out.

Alysum wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:49 pm
Having been a long time Switch kites user, I'm having a lot of issues with my H3 12m.
It keeps dropping out of the sky all the time when it's at 12 (and often inverts). This doesn't happen with my Elements 3 & 5.
Not very happy with this kite...
Any tips welcome
Alysum,

I had the same issue a few times with the Helium...it can hindenburg easily. I have some hilarious video where I am bitching to the gills watching this kite fall to the water and then inverts 3x and then won't relaunch. Before I sent it back I got more used to the kite so it didn't happen as much. I had my longest swim in from hydrofoiling on that kite. I was probably a full mile offshore, but it was dead onshore wind so it only took me 30 minutes or so to get back. The kite is so so with the relaunch but that day I could not get it back up in about 11 knots of wind. Most kites wont relauch in 11 knots tho.

What is really weird is that is flips over and inverts multiple times...I just bought a switch 12m nitro and when I don't nail my tacks on the hydrofoil in light wind it hindenburgs too and then inverts. The nitro only does this tho when I am failing at a hydrofoil airborne tack. I will say my 12m switchblade does this much less tho. I think it is a function of the leading edge being much smaller so the kite stays much higher in the window. I am keeping the Nitro tho b/c I am finding some enjoyment with it other than my failed tacking attemps. I still have not flown it with a twin tip yet. I will say the Nitro is probably not a great hydrofoiling kite for anyone reading this. I have a race foil so it does allow you to go fast tho.

Here is my advice on the helium...1st if you are launching in light wind or finding your board in the water after a failed trick make sure you pull the bar in so the kite does not ever swing over your head. Also at any hint of the kite moving aggresively to the edge of the window start trying to move the kite around. The next thing I would do only if you are flying that kite alot is possibly setting your center lines longer than your steering lines. You may not be able to do this, but what you can do is always rig your steering lines up as close to the kite as you can. Basically you need to power up the kite as much as possible from a rigging perspective. If you can make your own pigtails you can make center line pigtails with 3mm or 1/8" dyneema and make 4 knots in them with a couple of the knots way too long so the kite is rigged with much more power.

The last thing I can say is I felt the kite hindenburgs when I pushed the bar out fast...meaning it does not like an aggressive angle of attack change. I think the kite can handle being high in the window, but when you push the bar out fast it does not handle the quick change in Angle of Attack. I was waiting for a friend at the beach once just waving the kite around deep in the window in 11knots and once the kite powered up and pulled me thru the sand I pushed the bar hard out and it hinderburged still deep in the window and my buddy caught it lol. I really don't know why, but I don't think it likes abrupt changes in attack angle... Hope that helps some.

Alysum
Medium Poster

Postby Alysum » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:09 pm

Thanks for the long response, much appreciated! Glad to read I'm not the only one experiencing those hindenburgs.

I do not recall pushing the bar out causing it to drop but that's an interesting observation about angles.

I think setting the steering lines on the powered knot helps a little bit. Not sure about extending the centre lines...

It's a really nice kite, top colours, just surprised and disappointed it has a little design caveat since its specifically designed to be a light wind kite.

SimonP
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Rotorua Lakes, Maketu, NZ
Favorite Beaches: Aotea, Maroochydore, Faro, Aitutaki
Style: Foiling, free-style, waves
Gear: J-shapes foil, Switch kites, Underground twintips, misc surfboards.

Postby SimonP » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:22 am

Mine don't hindenburg. The 10m and 12m Helium fly in less wind than I can hydrofoil, i.e. < 8 knots. I never keep a kite still at 12 o'clock in light winds, I make sure that it is always moving. Maybe it's a bridle problem or your winds are really shifty?

Xtream
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Brant Beach LBI
Style: Old School
Gear: Rogue Wave, Switch, Windwing, Ozone, Fone
Brand Affiliation: Brands that are fun to ride

Postby Xtream » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:28 am

Alysum wrote: Thanks for the long response, much appreciated! Glad to read I'm not the only one experiencing those hindenburgs.

I do not recall pushing the bar out causing it to drop but that's an interesting observation about angles.

I think setting the steering lines on the powered knot helps a little bit. Not sure about extending the centre lines.
Very interesting my 16 Helium 3 is very stable, I surprised myself, never expected the kite to stay in the air not to mention keep up wind, in wind I would not think about kiting in. I had about 10 sessions on the 16 H3 and I never had a problem or even felt like the kite would Hindenburg. Big TT and surfboard, No Foil board.
Hope you get it sorted out.
X

Alysum
Medium Poster

Postby Alysum » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:47 pm

Well I got new Ozone bars which are perfectly calibrated and my Helium 3 still drops out of the sky every now and then.
Even when it was gusty 19-24kn, the 12m seems to come way too forward at the Zenith and hindenburgs. Even with the more stable bottom LE bridle setting.
It is literally the worst kite I've ever owned, I've lost so much confidence. Plus the amount of canopy flapping is mental. And Switch support refuse to believe my kite has an issue.

GTC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Wainman

Postby GTC » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:45 am

Alysum wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:47 pm
Well I got new Ozone bars which are perfectly calibrated and my Helium 3 still drops out of the sky every now and then.
Even when it was gusty 19-24kn, the 12m seems to come way too forward at the Zenith and hindenburgs. Even with the more stable bottom LE bridle setting.
It is literally the worst kite I've ever owned, I've lost so much confidence. Plus the amount of canopy flapping is mental. And Switch support refuse to believe my kite has an issue.
Last edited by GTC on Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”