Rob_85
Rare Poster
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Zanzibar or Dakhla

Postby Rob_85 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:54 pm

So, looking to plan a trip next year. I’ve been to Dakhla before and the constant wind is awesome. I have some friends going to Zanzibar (Jambiani) in July, but worried the wind won’t be as consistent and high as Dakhla. Kiting for the week is the main purpose of the trip, so I’m thinking Dahlka again would be the better option. Zanzibar does look beautiful though!

What are people’s thoughts? I’m sure many of you have been to both.

Cheers,

Rob

Van Hunk
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dolphin

Re: Zanzibar or Dakhla

Postby Van Hunk » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:11 pm

Just came back from 12 days in Paje in Zanzibar. It is EPIC and would definitely choose it over Dakhla.

For starters it is very beautiful with a thriving nightlife.We also had wind every single day and by the end of the 12 days we could almost not lift our arms anymore.

Paje also has some of the best "ski in ski out" accommodation on the planet.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2018-07-19 at 6.22.32 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-07-18 at 8.06.02 PM.jpeg

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2016 North Mono 12m, 2017 Naish Dash 10 & 8, 2018 Naish Slash 6 & 9, Firewire Vader, 5'2, 2017 F-One Acid, 2017 Sroka Freeride Foil

Postby Strekke » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:06 pm

@Van Hunk: what winds speeds & kite sizes were you on every day?

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:44 am

I also went to Paje last month and stayed at Kisiwa on the Beach. I went the Dakhla last year and i would definitely choose Zanzibar as there's more to do. I didnt have the nuking winds like in Dakhla, kite sizes were 10-12m, but the food, atmosphere and abundance of other things to do were worth it.

Van Hunk
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dolphin

Postby Van Hunk » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:05 am

Strekke wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:06 pm
@Van Hunk: what winds speeds & kite sizes were you on every day?
Hi

Started the days (around 10am) on a 12m and holding on for dear life to a 10m by the afternoon. (I weigh about 80kgs) Plenty of 9m's out in the afternoon.

We stayed in Kinazi Upepo. It is basic but one of the most amazing beach shacks I have stayed in in 15 years of travelling to kite. Would go back there tomorrow.

VH

PS If it is your thing, try some of the local cannabis. Every man and his dog will try to sell you some from the moment you step onto the beach. Blowing a jay with a beer at the end of a day of kiting, whilst staring out on a cobalt blue ocean, is about as rad as it gets.

Rob_85
Rare Poster
Gear: None

Postby Rob_85 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:03 pm

Zanzibar is sounding pretty sweet! Think I might miss the nuking wind of Dakhla. I’d be gutted to go all the way to Zanzibar and the wind to flop.

Return to “Kitesurfing”