Gear: Switch Element v4: 5m, 7m
Switch Element v6: 9m, 12m
Boards: Axis Division TT and Homemade Shinnster "The Spinster"
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Strapless Progression Advice

Postby icedub » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:35 am

I built myself a plywood Shinnster copy ("the spinnster") for this season and have fallen in love with strapless riding after 3 years of TT. The freedom of movement, new challenges, not to mention how well it slices through the chop and rides the little waves in my local spot (Lake Champlain, VT).

I'm natural footed, and can comfortably ride out on my strong side, carve a toe side turn, ride back in toe side, and carve a heel side turn. I've also been working on riding in goofy, switching my feet to toeside and then carving the turn (I'm getting this about 40% of the time, it's tricky on the spinnster). I've also been attempting to switch my feet after my toe side turn but I'm finding this more difficult and am maybe nailing it 15% of the time. So the footwork is still definitely needing to be worked on, but since I like to have a few different things to work on, what should be next in my strapless progression? Duck tacks? Small airs? If anyone has any advice on a reasonable strapless progression, please share. And any advice on switching feet after carving to toe side would also be appreciated!

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Strapless Progression Advice

Postby BWD » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:45 am

Spend some time each session riding with your feet close together.
Incrementally move them closer to each other until you can kite with only a one foot distance between your feet. You will find the balance point for each point of sail or condition and it will make footwork easier for maneuvers etc.
With feet equidistant from the balance point, you can step/slide/pivot them more easily.
For general comfort as well as jumping and gnarly chop or speed runs, move feet back apart....

Return to “Kitesurfing”