deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Core and German engineering meme

Postby deniska » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:06 pm

I am on my 9 month of using sensor 2+ bar.
About 6 months in, I started to see some minor wear on the center PU lines and having bad prior experience with those (snapped safety with kite flying away) and major problem SSF rope (it got so chewed up the metal rings could not slide through..)
So I order 18,6,6A and 8 for $70... pricey but not too bad, i guess.
Here is a reference diagram for the parts..
https://store.corekites.com/collections ... pare-parts
Now, 3 months later I notice that #6 safety, that was replaced is all chewed up again
39927902_242911596257249_6900048222983553024_n.jpg
That sounds a little premature so I call up my dealer to see if it can be exchanged..
The first reply is that they can't do it as it's likely to be my fault as I did not replace the inserts ($20 plastic things) when changing the line..(they assumed I did not cause I did not buy them in that previous order with lines)
Well I send them the photo, showing replacing one of them (protecting the hole for the safety line #6)
While we are at it, I note that the swivel just does not turn well anymore and I think that's the root cause.
And since it's all rusty, it would be nice if they could replace the rusty nuts or the bearing - whatever holding it from easy untwisting..
After some message ping pong they give me a deal - $78 for the new QR and free #6 line and new inserts..
All if I promise to wash and dry the bar after each use!!!
Apparently it's my fault that those geniuses put rusty nuts on $550 bar that cannot survive a year..
I would be ok with the rust on the bar, but it triggers a cascade of other problems: once it stops rotating well it starts chewing the depower/safety lines AND now also inserts!! I used to get 2 uncovered lines (old design) for about $40 and they lasted about 4 months.. now I have to pay almost double because of that hightech tektanium & PU and also the inserts.. and they last about the same or less!!! WTF???
Congrats CORE geniuses, you are really making my day with your new innovations!!!
So prepare to pay about $150 to service that bar within the first year (and that does not include the main line set)
IMG_0079.JPG
IMG_0082.JPG
To be completely fair to CORE, that bar was a replacement for another Sensor2+ bar that snapped a PU line w/o any warnings a year ago.
So I own the replacement bar for a year but I only started using it 9 month ago after I killed my older CORE bar (yes another line snap)
So I probably don't have a good warranty case anymore.. but common! rusty parts on the bar is just bad design!!! Let's all acknowledge it!
one last photo: previous bar that snapped center line and was exchanged:
19225160_1630640313615106_3932970172421029628_n.jpg

dice
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID

Re: Core and German engineering meme

Postby dice » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:46 pm

This topic is not what I expected when I read the title :lol:

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Has thanked: 0

Postby jeromeL » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:34 pm

when i demoed core kite the other day, i noticed that tons of sand was stuck around the PU line.

According to that French kitetool constructor the sand in US is very coarse compared to wherever he kites at in Europe.
https://kitesurfvoilier.fr/en/

I did get a few of his tools and they pretty much don't work in NY, other people started shipping him bucket of sands so he can test his tools in differnent environement making all type of sand flush well.

I wonder if we have similar issues with kitebar lol

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:56 pm

Just as a general observation it seems more and more kite manufacturers have made it increasingly difficult for users to replace consumable parts on their own. With my old bars a decade ago I'd just go to the marine store and get new line to replace the chicken line, cut it to length, fid it if necessary and be good to go. Now the equivalent line on a modern bar seems to have a bungee spliced into it or something else that prevents me from using regular line from the store. I'd love to see more field serviceable options out there for real kiters who travel to places or live in places where parts aren't readily available. I'm not down with paying for a $500 bar that becomes junk after a season or requires a annoying RMA process, arguing with a shitty dealer or manufacturer because of a wearable or non-wearable part failure. Good luck to you Deniska.

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:07 pm

Sure seems like Core & Flysurfer have some serious customer service issues. Thank goodness there are brands that are solid in customer service, don't gouge customers on pricing, & perform great for my needs. Pay more for attitude? - Not me

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:33 am

jeromeL wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:34 pm
when i demoed core kite the other day, i noticed that tons of sand was stuck around the PU line.

According to that French kitetool constructor the sand in US is very coarse compared to wherever he kites at in Europe.
https://kitesurfvoilier.fr/en/

I did get a few of his tools and they pretty much don't work in NY, other people started shipping him bucket of sands so he can test his tools in differnent environement making all type of sand flush well.

I wonder if we have similar issues with kitebar lol
Jerome,

if you look at my photos, you'll see that half of the metal assembly of the bar catches rust.. not all of it.. just half..
that other half is still shiny..
what does it tell you?
CORE figured: "we can make some parts out of stainless steel and some out of regulal, that will corrode quick in salty water..
Good job geniuses!

hongchew
Medium Poster
Gear: airush

Postby hongchew » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:42 am

Hahaha, the Germans managed to overprice their flimsy products yet sell it at premiums over other countries‘ much reliable designs, eg, Asian cars.

Excellent marketing if you ask me. Otherwise how is a car that claims to be well engineered yet constantly breaks down like clock work?

jhonson
Medium Poster

Postby jhonson » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:06 am

My depower line also breaks after 3 months and I tried the North Bar and it works perfectly.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:43 pm

deniska wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:06 pm
So prepare to pay about $150 to service that bar within the first year (and that does not include the main line set)
Eltreato wrote: Just as a general observation it seems more and more kite manufacturers have made it increasingly difficult for users to replace consumable parts on their own.
Deniska... at least be happy that replacing the line-set on a Core bar will only set you back $218. I was trying rebuild an older North Quad bar and their line-set alone is $286. Brand new 2018 Quad complete bars are now on sale for around $120 more, so I will probably just part out my old bar and toss the rest. At least some of it is recyclable materials.

Based on your observation Eltreato, I fully agree with you. Finding "import" parts is a major pain in my experience. :duh:
Last edited by Da Yoda on Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:35 am

You shouldn't have brought up the question of "German engineering". I've been wandering about the inflate valve which requires a separate piece to be de-flated ever since XR3-s came out... That's some "German thinking" alright! :rollgrin:
IMG_6878-e1441730378398.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”