Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lightwave Wing 165 or Cabrinha Stylus 160

Forum for kitesurfers
JB26
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bayville
Favorite Beaches: Turks, Cayman, Saba Rock.
Gear: Naish cult 10.5 and 15
Cabrinha Contra 15
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Lightwave Wing 165 or Cabrinha Stylus 160

Postby JB26 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:20 pm

What are your thoughts on one vs. other?

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17, Flite 12, Prodigy 9.5, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing, Mako 150, Slingshot FSurf
Brand Affiliation: XL Kites

Re: Lightwave Wing 165 or Cabrinha Stylus 160

Postby SENDIT! » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:05 pm

*Disclaimer- I sell both of these*

I've spent an extensive amount of time on both of these boards. The Stylus is very forgiving of chop and small waves, especially for being a big board. It's been around for several years, but saw an overhaul for 2018. The previous years, the board was available in a 145/155/165. The 145 was really good, the 155 was ok, but felt a little wide. The 165 was really hard to edge b/c the inserts were set too far to the middle of the board. When you'd try edging hard, you'd have to pull up with your toes, too, which caused your shins to catch on fire in short order. Last year, 2018, they fixed that isssue and also made it avail in 150 and 160. It has a gentle concave and channels on the rails. I enjoyed it much more and no longer had issues with my shins. Though they said that there really weren't any changes for 2019, it feels somehow "better", maybe like it was a little more maneuverable than before. I rode it almost exclusively at the dealer meeting a couple of months ago b/c the wind was so light (and I'm a dainty 230 pies) and specifically asked them had something changed b/c it just felt more playful to me. I don't know what it is, I just liked it better.

As far as the Wing goes, well, this is a tried and true design that's been around for a long time. I often tell people that the WIng is a light wind board that doesn't know it. It's got *just enough* rocker to work in chop or even waves, the biggest concave of any light wind board out there and flared tips (no face spray here). There's a stiffener added for all but the last 10cm on each end. In that last 10cm, there are stiffeners that run perpendicular to the board. That allows the board to flex for pop off the water, but not "taco" when you do it. I love jumping this board b/c you can load it super hard, then launch off the water like a rocket. And it goes upwind like a machine, which is certainly important when riding in marginal winds.

Both of these are good choices if you're riding in light wind a lot and don't have/want a foil. I've been using both for a long time and I prefer the WIng 165 (also available in 155). B/c of my weight, I'm always trying to get an advantage anywhere I can, so I also got the carbon version, but the standard layup is just fine. And I've bought this board, not once, but twice. I do have to say the graphics of the Stylus are a little more appealing to me, though. For a guy from Texas, Litewave Dave has let California rub off on him. :wink: :lol:

I hope that helps you out. I like them both, but I find the Wing to be my preference. I don't know where you are, but we have both of these boards available here for demo. Good luck! :thumb:

SENDIT!

Tony in FL
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 7M/8M/10M/12M Switchblade and 15M Contra.

Postby Tony in FL » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:07 pm

My first lightwind board was a 2017 Cabrinha Styllus 155. My girlfriend and I got to demo some of Lightwave Dave's boards. At the time we were looking to get my girlfriend her first light wind board. I don't recall if I demoed only the regular WIng or both the regular and Carbon Wing but we were both so impressed that shortly thereafter we purchased a 165 Carbon Wing (for me) and a 155 Carbon Wing (for her). And I sold my Stylus.

The Carbon Wing rockets upwind, fun to boost, and allows for fun and smooth transitions (not that locked into train tracks feel that some lightwind boards have). With our Carbon Wings and Cabrinha Contras we can get out in very light winds. As for the difference between the Carbon and regular Wing - you may want to check with Dave but I think the Carbon one may have a little more pop and is a little lighter. We are very happy with them.

JB26
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bayville
Favorite Beaches: Turks, Cayman, Saba Rock.
Gear: Naish cult 10.5 and 15
Cabrinha Contra 15

Postby JB26 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:33 pm

Thanks for the input. I went with the 165 light wave. Can’t wait to try it.

yeahguuy
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 220
Local Beach: Stonington
Gear: Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force

Postby yeahguuy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:02 pm

@sendit can we ask what is your weight?