Forum for kitesurfers
espana23
Medium Poster
Gear: NA
Brand Affiliation: None

Waterproof cell phone recommendation

Postby espana23 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:56 am

Hi,

I am looking for a waterproof cell phone to be used in emergency situations while kitesurfing. It would need to be heavy duty, waterproof and small. It will be used only during kitesurfing sessions so it doesn't need to be anything too high tech or fancy. Does anyone have something to recommend?

Thanks.

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Re: Waterproof cell phone recommendation

Postby kiterocky » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:07 am

2 euro waterproof bag...

tomato
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sweden
Style: faceplant!!!
Gear: old

Postby tomato » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:34 am

this kind works well for me already 2 years
https://www.amazon.co.uk/OCASE-Waterpro ... B01H6OYOYK

espana23
Medium Poster
Gear: NA

Postby espana23 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:39 am

kiterocky wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:07 am
2 euro waterproof bag...
Not quite the answer I was looking for here. :) My everyday phone is a smart phone and wouldn't want to take that with me kitesurfing (the touch screen display wouldn't work anyway with wet hands). Since I am considering on buying a simple phone specifically for this purpose I was wondering if anyone has something to recommend.

Wind Runner
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, Indian Beach, Bogue Sound, Cape Lookout, all in NC
Style: Back and forth
Gear: Slingshot Rally 7, 9, Switch Nano 12, Slingshot Turbine 15
Misfit 136, 146
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140, 150

Postby Wind Runner » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:50 pm

I concur with the waterproof bag recommendation... I've used these for years and they have never failed me... https://aquapacusa.com/shop/waterproof- ... ase-small/

If you want a separate phone just for kiting that's obviously up to you, but I personally wouldn't want to bother with another monthly cell plan and thing to keep charged and carry around. I just got a weather meter and am thinking even that will be a PITA to carry around and not lose.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:59 pm

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:15 pm

I got a small and cheap cell phone from China (no name for 1$)
It lasts about a week on a full charge, I stick it in a condom and its good to go.
A few numbers on the speed dial make it easier to operate...
The other option is also working fine, Samsung G8 in a waterproof bag just in case and I stick it under my impact west.

cheers

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:55 pm

Perfect topic timing! :lol:

I just got a Samsung S3 Frontier LTE watch/phone. And after activating it and being all stoked I naturally decided to google it's potentials, you know do research AFTER I buy it.... :roll: Though Samsung site says IP68 which turns out means diddly squat.

First and only thread I find on kiteforum viewtopic.php?t=2396441 and Gunner says his died. Great.. Then I search the Samsung forums and there are TONS of complaints that peoples watches are dying from SWEAT and Samsung's denying warranty because "water damage". WTF?!

So now I'm in a dillema, do I chance it and test its water capability? I've had many Suunto GPS watches from as early as X9Mi which took 15min to get a sattelite signal to the Ambit 3 Peak Sapphire, which was awesome at being a WATERPOOF watch and recording and categorizing data but sucked at BT notifications. Then I picked up the Garmin Fenix 5x Sapphire. Which is great for BT notifications, built in HR monitor, has the maps built in with ability to add more, and is pretty good in salt water though the buttons seem to have gotten sticky over the last 8 months (lots of water time). But I wanted a phone/watch so went with the S3 Frontier LTE.

The S3 Frontier is pretty cool. The LTE works nicely as a phone. Though in order to get notifications for email/sms you have to continuously run an Samsung app on the phone you set this up with to forward them to your watch (via BT, WiFi or LTE). Otherwise you can only get the SMS that's sent directly to the watch phone #. Not sure about battery life, it's OK with BT, probably lasts a day and a half. Testing battery on continuous LTE only connection today to see how long it'll run with the phone always on. The notifications and interfaces is nice but the problem is GPS tracking apps, THEY ALL SUCK. The Samsung app store is a joke, even worse than Garmin store and the built in activities are very limited. I love tracking my GPS and HR stats while doing sports but this watch is not the best for that.

Considering they're going "New (other)" aka refurbished for around $170 on eBay with a coupon, it's still not a bad option. It's VERY small and I could wear it around my neck in a protective pouch if needed. Verizon has a $15/month plan for it. You wont be able to get it working on most MVNO's, I tried Total Wireless and it didn't accept the eSIM. So it's ATT/T-Mobile/Verizon only. Still, even at $170 and if you don't activate it, you have the 911 emergency option for "free" and that's about the price of a decent PLB (personal locator beacon) but with a VERY small package.

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:59 pm

I've had luck with my iPhone and this sea to summit pouch

https://seatosummitusa.com/collections/ ... smartphone

Fits in the side pocket of my board shorts or tucked inside my wetsuit

Wind Runner
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, Indian Beach, Bogue Sound, Cape Lookout, all in NC
Style: Back and forth
Gear: Slingshot Rally 7, 9, Switch Nano 12, Slingshot Turbine 15
Misfit 136, 146
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140, 150

Postby Wind Runner » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:45 pm

K-Roy wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:15 pm
I got a small and cheap cell phone from China (no name for 1$)
It lasts about a week on a full charge, I stick it in a condom and its good to go.
A few numbers on the speed dial make it easier to operate...
The other option is also working fine, Samsung G8 in a waterproof bag just in case and I stick it under my impact west.

cheers
That's a good idea... just buy a cheap pre-paid phone... I guess those wouldn't require a monthly plan AFAIK, but I think the minutes expire after a certain time period... you better fact-check that though :lol: then keep it in a bag :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”