DecagramOfEvil
Rare Poster
Gear: North Rebels, Nobile NBL
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sailing kite cruises - tips and spots?

Postby DecagramOfEvil » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:17 pm

I noticed that commercial catamaran "kite-safaris" are getting more popular (both Caribbeans and Europe) as one can travel from spot to spot, escape from the crowded ones and go to places unreachable for conventional kiters. Also chilling out after a session on a sailing yacht with friends seems more appealing than a hotel.
Being an experienced skipper myself I’m contemplating organizing such a trip for my friends. I started researching the topic but surprisingly there is not much useful tips or detailed descriptions on such kitesafari destinations out there. Mostly I found some tutorials on how to launch/land from a boat. On the other hand, it’s only natural that those who do it commercially probably want to keep their secret (sweet) spots for themselves.
Does anybody have any useful destination pointers or some tips about kitesafari logistics? Probably I would charter a catamaran for 8-10 people with a RIB on the back that could be used for rescue. For the first trial I would prefer Europe and was considering Greece and Aegean sea islands or alternatively Sardinia&Corsica but maybe you know better directions?

madis_and_kite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Estonia, Vääna-Jõesuu
Favorite Beaches: Dolphin beach, SA
Style: Bigair/kiteloops
Gear: Eleveight RS7-8-10-12, RS+14, OS10, WS5, Commander AG Pro 134cm, Escape 5'2
Brand Affiliation: Co-Owner of No Work Surf Club and Surfikaubamaja

Re: Sailing kite cruises - tips and spots?

Postby madis_and_kite » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:56 pm

In Egypt they are quite popular.

MKM
Frequent Poster
Gear: tons...
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha & Dakine

Postby MKM » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:27 pm

I'd really look at the Bahamas as a great option. You can choose either the Exumas or the Abacos. Both offer good selection of charter boats, crystal clear water, and excellent island hopping options.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:30 pm

DecagramOfEvil wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:17 pm
I noticed that commercial catamaran "kite-safaris" are getting more popular (both Caribbeans and Europe) as one can travel from spot to spot, escape from the crowded ones and go to places unreachable for conventional kiters. Also chilling out after a session on a sailing yacht with friends seems more appealing than a hotel.
Being an experienced skipper myself I’m contemplating organizing such a trip for my friends. I started researching the topic but surprisingly there is not much useful tips or detailed descriptions on such kitesafari destinations out there. Mostly I found some tutorials on how to launch/land from a boat. On the other hand, it’s only natural that those who do it commercially probably want to keep their secret (sweet) spots for themselves.
Does anybody have any useful destination pointers or some tips about kitesafari logistics? Probably I would charter a catamaran for 8-10 people with a RIB on the back that could be used for rescue. For the first trial I would prefer Europe and was considering Greece and Aegean sea islands or alternatively Sardinia&Corsica but maybe you know better directions?
I have a buddy who captains a sail boat in the BVIs during the season, he said you can pretty much kite anywhere/everywhere down there if you have a dinghy to come grab you if you drop your kite. I think it'd be more about finding good exposure with a nice isolated view.

DecagramOfEvil
Rare Poster
Gear: North Rebels, Nobile NBL

Postby DecagramOfEvil » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:30 pm

Since I'm from Europe I was thinking about first checking if this form of kite vacation is cool for us somewhere on this side of the pond. But if it works out then I wouldn't exclude more exotic (for europeans) destinations. ;)

kitesurfvoilier
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Leucate - France
Style: Freeride
Gear: Liquid Force - North
Brand Affiliation: Owner of KSV little brand

Postby kitesurfvoilier » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:47 am

Hi!
I have done a map on the subject, with hope that some people will give me some spots to be added!
Please be welcome to take a look: https://kitesurfvoilier.fr/en/spots-map/
For me, one of the best place to make a kite cruise is the Grenadine Islands. Situated in the South of Caribbean sea, wind is stronger than in the North of it (depends if you practice twintip or foil in fact) and you have several islands and reefs situated around 5 to 10 NM from each others. But there are many other places in the world and of course some in Europe.
Please note that coral reefs make a good wave protection for the boat, letting the wind goes through...
Enjoy your kite cruise!

NGE
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Costa Da caparica
Favorite Beaches: Costa Da caparica
Style: Freestyle
Gear: RRD

Postby NGE » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:18 am

Hi !!
3 Weeks ago I've tryed for the first time my Kitesurf Cruise catamaran https://paradisekitecruise.com/
The cruise was on Greece ( the wind was most of the time 25knts -30knts ), we tryed several islands ( you can see on the site ) , and the crew were addicted on Kite, so they showed us the best spots on greece that was complete only us and some other people that have boats.

It was amazing !! All day Kite, the food on board was great !! Did get sea sick because it was a big catamaran, the price for each person was not expensive.
The Capitan was super addicted to Kite lol ... But they were all the time looking for our safety.

For about 11 years of experience I've tryed some different spots of Kite, but its the first time on a catamaran that is 100% Kite, and its really different, and at night we watched the footage that they have done with the drones ( going after us, and stuff )

So, if you can, go and try it

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:45 am

Find the biggest spot database here:

http://se.kiteforum.com/spots

Egypt is popular...I have friends who do it twice a year.

For sure Ken of the best spots must be Los Roques, many islands north of the Venezuelan coast...only place of Venezuela where you can go these days.

Bahamas looks great too, but the best winds are in the southern Caribbean.

Keep us informed about your trip once planned and done.

Return to “Kitesurfing”