Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 2014
Naish Monarch 2016
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Teamrider conditions

Postby the_dec1der » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:14 pm

Hey guys,
I was just wondering if anyone knows how big a discount teamriders get in buying new gear? Was doing some research on the web but couldn't find much information.
Maybe one of you has some insight. 8)
Best regards!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Teamrider conditions

Postby Laughingman » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:28 pm

the_dec1der wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:14 pm
Hey guys,
I was just wondering if anyone knows how big a discount teamriders get in buying new gear? Was doing some research on the web but couldn't find much information.
Maybe one of you has some insight. 8)
Best regards!
Each teamrider/ambassador will negotiate their own deal and each company will place their own value on teamriders/ambassadors. There is no industry standard.

Also, any teamrider/ambassador will have agreed not to disclose what discount/deal they are getting. Just like at work, you never tell the guy beside you what you make.

Some team riders will get free gear they can keep and sell, some will have to send it back at the end of the season, some have a travel allowance, most of them will have some sort of metric they need to achieve in order to continue to be subsidized/paid. Other brands will have a program where they give a larger group of people a blanket discount, other brands will discount you if you buy multiple kites/gear (eg... BMR).

You will need to be more specific but even then I doubt you will get real data as no one wants to jeopardize their meal ticket.

the_dec1der
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 2014
Naish Monarch 2016

Postby the_dec1der » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:38 pm

Thanks. I wasn't looking for exact numbers. Just a general idea. Came home from a trip a couple of days ago where I met a teamrider whose conditions weren't as good as I thought. But makes sense that there are different rates.

As a sidenote. I always talk with my peers at work about how much I make. I want to know when I get screwed as well ;)

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:57 pm

Promoter usually 50% discount...not very good rider but they talk a lot on the beach or forum..
Some very lucky can use kites without pay ..Good money only for top team rider they have contract and money. 60/70/...140k euro..

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:07 pm

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

mattenzuchtig
Medium Poster
Style: freeride/wave
Gear: all that is good quality and affordable

Postby mattenzuchtig » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:33 pm

ambassador/tr -30/40% off....these are the guys o the beach...pro's no clue

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:07 pm

the_dec1der wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:38 pm
Thanks. I wasn't looking for exact numbers. Just a general idea. Came home from a trip a couple of days ago where I met a teamrider whose conditions weren't as good as I thought. But makes sense that there are different rates.

As a sidenote. I always talk with my peers at work about how much I make. I want to know when I get screwed as well ;)
That tells me you are not a very good negotiator.... :rollgrin:

Return to “Kitesurfing”