Nick Jacobsen leaves Cabrinha team

Forum for kitesurfers
Hpr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: West Coast Cape Town
Gear: 5th gear

Re: Nick Jacobsen leaves Cabrinha team

Postby Hpr » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:21 am

Gonzolinho wrote: I don't think a former winner of the KOTA has to qualify if he wants to compete.

I didn't see any qualifiying video of Langeree
The top riders from the previous comp dont have to submit videos. Ok I just checked the KOTA page, the top 9 riders from this year automatically qualify for the next comp, 5 riders will get chosen from the video entries so there will be 4 wildcards, so he could get in as a wildcard. But it's a bit of a gamble to rely on getting a wildcard. If he was serious about getting in he would have entered a video to make double sure. Unless they already told him he can have a wildcard being a previous winner.
Gonzolinho wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:26 pm
He can use whatever kites he wants to. If he walks into a shop an buys some of the Airush stuff in Capetown he can compete with that.
Only his sponsor will not be happy about it
He is not just a sponsored rider anymore, he works for them. Off course he can use any kite, but imagine the newly appointed Team Manager for the North brand who is busy working on developing the new North product range, competes (and maybe wins) KOTA on another brand. Not good. Maybe North can use the opportunity to showcase some prototypes.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:15 am

Hugh2 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:31 am
windmaker wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:23 am
Toby wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:35 am
But I am sure they would call it 2020 products...not 2019...imagine everyone releases the 2020 gear next year and only North 2019. Wouldn’t make sense.

But, from psychological view I assume they say now 2019...
I think some brands should stop naming their products by year as it is misleading for many, making them believe they are getting something ahead of time whereas it is the exact contrary. A product actually released in 2019 will always be "newer" than one released in 2018 call it 2019 if you like, it's just marketing bullshit.
Just like cars, get used to it.
use to it yes, but unlike many not fooled.That's the point of the post

madis_and_kite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Estonia, Vääna-Jõesuu
Favorite Beaches: Dolphin beach, SA
Style: Bigair/kiteloops
Gear: Eleveight RS7-8-10-12, RS+14, OS10, WS5, Commander AG Pro 134cm, Escape 5'2
Brand Affiliation: Co-Owner of No Work Surf Club and Surfikaubamaja

Postby madis_and_kite » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:39 am

Toby wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:45 pm
Well... I assume the northern hemisphere is the biggest market. Am I wrong?

So to this logic new products should be introduced for the main season of the northern market...which starts in April/May.

BUT...new gear is available for purchase from August/September on. That’s the end of the main season...
Ofcourse northern hemisphere is the biggest market but still, Africa, Australia and South-America has their saying in it and brands have to consider it.

Well played by North, thats exactly how I thought it will go. Announce few months before biggest event of the year that Nick is on board. Pretty good first few of their products whatever Nick will use on competition. They got our attention.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:52 am

RE: Having to use a certain brand/design.

I'm sure Marc Jacobs fell into this category 2 years ago. From what I remember he changed from his Switch kite mid heat and borrowed a North Kite to finish the heat. I remember there was a lot of trash talk about how Switch not putting in the effort to capitalise on publicity because they should have shipped him off there with X spare kites and similar comments.

Can't remember if the problem was an equipment malfunction or whether it was just the wind lulling and he didn't have a bigger kite to change up to.

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro
Has thanked: 0

Postby Lanc » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:34 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:52 am
I'm sure Marc Jacobs fell into this category 2 years ago. From what I remember he changed from his Switch kite mid heat and borrowed a North Kite to finish the heat. I remember there was a lot of trash talk about how Switch not putting in the effort to capitalise on publicity because they should have shipped him off there with X spare kites and similar comments.

Can't remember if the problem was an equipment malfunction or whether it was just the wind lulling and he didn't have a bigger kite to change up to.
See Marc Jacobs at North Kite now ?
felixp wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:31 pm
Hello
Thank you for your concern.
Marc did not go to North. As Marc was waiting for his heat to start his 8m Legacy was sitting too close to the shore break. A tidal serge came up took his kite and swept it over some sharp rocks and shells, causing damage.
He then relocated and by the time he realized the damage was there it was to late to fix as his heat was up next. He did not want to take any risks flying in these harsh conditions with any damage to his gear.

He did mention:
If he was on his Legacy he most likely would have advanced. He was super bummed out. He only travelled with one 8m to the Event and had to fly a kite that did not work for his needs at the very last minute.
You learn from mistakes and get wiser and stronger for the next battle.
Great Effort for his first King of the Air.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:39 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:52 am
RE: Having to use a certain brand/design.

Wind picked up so he needed his 8m, but it was laying on the beach and because of upcoming tide it got washed against some rocks or something, trashing the kite.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:33 pm

pooder wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:22 am
North will come out with 2020 lineup in mid 2019

Have you ever thought why they actually introduce products half a year or less before the actual year? Many countries and big markets have their kiteseasons over new years. New products have to match with their seaons too, so they could prep for season and sell newest gear over the season. Otherwise these markets will be always behind.
Designed in 2018
Produced in 2019
Sold in 2019 as 2020

Time traveling capabilities of kite manufacturers.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:26 pm

Peert wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:33 pm
Designed in 2018
Produced in 2019
Sold in 2019 as 2020
I think also designed in 2019...if released in August, they could test until February/March. So about 6 months for production.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:45 pm

Peert wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:33 pm
pooder wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:22 am
North will come out with 2020 lineup in mid 2019

Have you ever thought why they actually introduce products half a year or less before the actual year? Many countries and big markets have their kiteseasons over new years. New products have to match with their seaons too, so they could prep for season and sell newest gear over the season. Otherwise these markets will be always behind.
Designed in 2018
Produced in 2019
Sold in 2019 as 2020

Time traveling capabilities of kite manufacturers.
Like for everything else, there's timeline. Some of future champions are learning to walk and to use potty today.

With stalling development of LEIs I think it'll be more practical to release a model V1/V2/V3/etc and then produce it in "colors of 2019". Yearly cycle is a bit misleading in means of "development cycle"

lisaped
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby lisaped » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:03 pm

Toby wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:06 pm
Cabrinha is one of the top brands worldwide.
With just crap they wouldn't be in this position.
All top brands are crap. Cabrinha is the 1st. Then comes Slingshot.
But sometimes may be Slingshot is the 1st, things differ..,

Return to “Kitesurfing”