Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ocean Rodeo: The Next Gen Bars Are Here

Forum for kitesurfers
BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Ocean Rodeo: The Next Gen Bars Are Here

Postby BWD » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:29 pm

Guesstimating the cost of all that gear at $5-7k, I’d wager you’re not a financial pro. Wouldn’t be mine at least, if 3-4% is nothing to you...

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:43 am

I’ve paid less for brand new kites.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:34 am

I'll say this, I was a bit skeptical at the added value of these next gen/rear-line depower bar/lines. I'll preface this by saying I rarely ever use the QR on any bar, just no real need. I'm thinking I've pulled the QR maybe 3 times total in the past 6 or 7 years. In any case, I've been using the OR Stick Shift V1 for a year now.

Here's the main thing, from a strapless surfboard standpoint, it's a massive improvement over a typical bar. Here's why - when I'm on my port tack coming in riding waves, I want less power because I have added power from the wave, and also, I generally downloop with a bottom turn in the flats to go back and slash off the waves. It's so much easier to pop a couple of quick hits off the depower without taking your hand off or changing your stance, make your hits, and then quickly wind the power back up to get back out through the waves. I tried riding an old style (above the bar trim) bar and lines and hated it. I never really used my depower a ton before, but with the ease of using it with the Stick Shift, I tend to use it quite a bit more. And yes, I could just trim out to bleed off power, but then you are adjusting your stance to compensate.

For that reasoning alone, it's worth the cost, not to mention that at least so far - it's held up really well over a year of sessions (probably 125 sessions).

Return to “Kitesurfing”