Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Naish Slash 2018 vs Naish Slash 2019

forum for kitesurfers
nikolaygadzhev77
Medium Poster
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:20 am
Kiting since: 2008
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Naish Slash 2018 vs Naish Slash 2019

Postby nikolaygadzhev77 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:35 pm

Hi any experience with the new Slash 2019 ,how the kite compare to 2018

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 10186
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Naish Slash 2018 vr Naish Slash 2019

Postby tautologies » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:13 pm

YES!!!!

So I finally yielded to pressure...ok not really pressure, but Dirk here told me to get a slash. So last year I got one and absolutely loved it. Insanely good for waves, great jumper and super fun foiling kite. It was just soooo smooth.

This year I think they have several significant upgrades. First of all, the turning is even smoother. It feels a bit faster reacting, and more responsive. I mean I guess it sounds like the regular yiddayadda from year to year upgrade, but when you pump up the 2019 you will see immediately that the LE and struts are way way thinner. Recommended PSI for the 7 is 11.5!!! I have not ridden them side by side and I have not yet tried my 2019 with a TT, but both for foiling and surfboard this kite is insane. Most of the time when I can ride a 7 the wind is gusty, but luckily the slash eats a lot of the gustiness. I ended up getting an 11 as well this year, but its been too windy to ride it.

riddim1
Rare Poster
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:32 am
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Spot X
Style: wave
Gear: Naish, Firewire
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Naish Slash 2018 vr Naish Slash 2019

Postby riddim1 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:59 pm

Thanks for the response Tautologies. I have sold my 2018 Pivots and find myself in that uneasy situation of not having kites for a short period of time.... and of course, our lack of wind for the past 4 months has miraculously had a turn around and there is perfect windy conditions for the next week. I have ordered a 2019 Slash 7m but have to wait a fortnight for delivery. The Pivots really were the perfect all-rounders but with each passing model, I found myself enjoying it less and less. I ride almost exclusively on a surfboard in the waves. I found the Pivot’s performance envelope moving each year towards free-ride and boost. The wave riding qualities were getting less. This was my perception at least. I flew the 2018 Slash and found it smooth and powerful, yet allowed me to stay on wave face with better drift abilities compared to the pivot. I found the turning speed slower but I put that down to the kite turning more around it’s wingtips as opposed to the Pivots middle strut. Reading up on the 2019 Slash, I was sold after hearing the turning speed has increased and overall improvements with ride smoothness and drift. Will post a review after I have a good run of it.

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 10186
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Naish Slash 2018 vr Naish Slash 2019

Postby tautologies » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:56 pm

riddim1 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:59 pm
Thanks for the response Tautologies. I have sold my 2018 Pivots and find myself in that uneasy situation of not having kites for a short period of time.... and of course, our lack of wind for the past 4 months has miraculously had a turn around and there is perfect windy conditions for the next week. I have ordered a 2019 Slash 7m but have to wait a fortnight for delivery. The Pivots really were the perfect all-rounders but with each passing model, I found myself enjoying it less and less. I ride almost exclusively on a surfboard in the waves. I found the Pivot’s performance envelope moving each year towards free-ride and boost. The wave riding qualities were getting less. This was my perception at least. I flew the 2018 Slash and found it smooth and powerful, yet allowed me to stay on wave face with better drift abilities compared to the pivot. I found the turning speed slower but I put that down to the kite turning more around it’s wingtips as opposed to the Pivots middle strut. Reading up on the 2019 Slash, I was sold after hearing the turning speed has increased and overall improvements with ride smoothness and drift. Will post a review after I have a good run of it.
Nice. I mean it was a bit of an awakening for me to ride that kite. I still love the pivot and have a mixed quiver now. I generally ride in gusty conditions, and love taking the pivot out for a jumping session I still love it for waves and think because it is so depowerable and stable it makes it a great kite...like last year I would always just pump up my 9 pivot and ride the waves. I was kind of figuring it wouldn't be enough for my 7 slash. Then I tried. All smiles. It just smoothed over all the gusts and drifted like no tomorrow. I tend to pump my kites up pretty hard and so when I saw they increasing the recommended PSI this year I got kind of excited...this just increased when I pumped it up. LE and struts are super skinny. Kite still drifts like Manafort on the run, but the turning is noticeably improved.

riddim1
Rare Poster
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:32 am
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Spot X
Style: wave
Gear: Naish, Firewire
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Naish Slash 2018 vr Naish Slash 2019

Postby riddim1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:08 am

I have had my new 2019 Naish Slash 7m out in some ok wind now and as promised, thought I’d post a review. Have only flown the 2018 Slash once in the 8m so have a better comparison to the 2018 Pivot 7m.

Rider: Intermediate/advanced, 85kgs, natural.
Board: FireWire Vader 5.1
Bar/lines: BTB 55 on rope slider.
Conditions: 2ft wind generated swell, cross-on 18kts average (16-20).

My biggest concern switching from Pivots to the Slash was the reported drop in power. I can report that I believe the Slash would be one size up to the pivot in comparable size ie. the
8m Slash has equivalent power to the 7m Pivot. In say saying this though, I was staying upwind and riding waves in 18kts. I was surprised by the power of the 7m. It generates power differently to the pivot. The slash sits further in the power zone and is happy to generate power from this position without having to sign the kite in and out of the zone. The kite turns quickly in initiating a direction change however the kite then moves across the window much slower than the pivot. This was really satisfying to me as it allowed much more control during bottom and top turns. With the pivot you had to have much more active control during kite direction changes. On my Pivots I was often caught off guard by a gust or a surge in the kite charging across the wind power zone. The Slash is much more intuitive.

I didnt really test the drifting abilities of the Slash but can see that this is where the kite really excels. I had the kite well out of the power zone on a few turns and I was surprised to see the kite waiting for an input after I’d completed the manoeuvre.

I really enjoyed this kite when doing small chop-hops and aerials. Again, the pivot would generate too much power whilst in the air, sometimes trucking you downwind. Boosting with the Slash you can really feel the kite power stop when sheeted out allowing you to solely concentrate on your landing.

Overall. Very happy with the kite. It certainly suits me solely riding waves.... I’ll need a bigger one soon but for now I think I’m covered from 18 thru to 30kts. I’ll review again after riding at the 7m’s top end.

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 10186
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Naish Slash 2018 vr Naish Slash 2019

Postby tautologies » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:14 pm

riddim1 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:08 am
I have had my new 2019 Naish Slash 7m out in some ok wind now and as promised, thought I’d post a review. Have only flown the 2018 Slash once in the 8m so have a better comparison to the 2018 Pivot 7m.

Rider: Intermediate/advanced, 85kgs, natural.
Board: FireWire Vader 5.1
Bar/lines: BTB 55 on rope slider.
Conditions: 2ft wind generated swell, cross-on 18kts average (16-20).

My biggest concern switching from Pivots to the Slash was the reported drop in power. I can report that I believe the Slash would be one size up to the pivot in comparable size ie. the
8m Slash has equivalent power to the 7m Pivot. In say saying this though, I was staying upwind and riding waves in 18kts. I was surprised by the power of the 7m. It generates power differently to the pivot. The slash sits further in the power zone and is happy to generate power from this position without having to sign the kite in and out of the zone. The kite turns quickly in initiating a direction change however the kite then moves across the window much slower than the pivot. This was really satisfying to me as it allowed much more control during bottom and top turns. With the pivot you had to have much more active control during kite direction changes. On my Pivots I was often caught off guard by a gust or a surge in the kite charging across the wind power zone. The Slash is much more intuitive.

I didnt really test the drifting abilities of the Slash but can see that this is where the kite really excels. I had the kite well out of the power zone on a few turns and I was surprised to see the kite waiting for an input after I’d completed the manoeuvre.

I really enjoyed this kite when doing small chop-hops and aerials. Again, the pivot would generate too much power whilst in the air, sometimes trucking you downwind. Boosting with the Slash you can really feel the kite power stop when sheeted out allowing you to solely concentrate on your landing.

Overall. Very happy with the kite. It certainly suits me solely riding waves.... I’ll need a bigger one soon but for now I think I’m covered from 18 thru to 30kts. I’ll review again after riding at the 7m’s top end.
Nice. I have still not found the top end of the 7 slash. It works great even for foiling, but I recognize everything you say about it. I think the 2019 is a major upgrade with its skinny struts and LE. The drifting you will discover is fantastic. Even in relatively light wind it drifts well.

User avatar
flying doctor
Medium Poster
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:21 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Naish Slash 2018 vs Naish Slash 2019

Postby flying doctor » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:17 pm

I've been studying this thread because I'm considering the switch from Pivot to Slash.
Good to see all this info here!

Been on the 2015 pivot for three years now (5, 7 and 9m)
Over the years I've found it's better for me to stay dialed into my gear as long as I can instead of changing kites every season.
But after three years I'm ready for an upgrade and as I'm 80% strapless wave focussed I think the Slash is probably my best bet.

On the other hand; I really like to charge on my TT from time to time so don't want to give up too much in the jumping department.

I'm planning on buying new kites in Capetown next week when I'm there on vacation, and the shop owner there that I spoke to recommends 5m and 7m Slash and a 9m Pivot as a quiver.
Apparently most CT riders use this combo.

So for those of you lucky enough to have experienced both kites:
-Does this seem like a good combo to you?
-Is the 2019 pivot 9m good enough as (strapless) wave kite in low/intermediate winds?
-And is jumping on the slash in 7m and 5m rewarding enough to not long for another more jump dedicated kite? Any drawbacks to beware of?

For reference: my weight is 78 kg. I kite mainly cross/onshore winds in the Netherlands with the occasional kite trip abroad (Brazil, CT or Europe)
I use a Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and a Naish Mega 132cm

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 10186
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Naish Slash 2018 vs Naish Slash 2019

Postby tautologies » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:51 pm

flying doctor wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:17 pm
I've been studying this thread because I'm considering the switch from Pivot to Slash.
Good to see all this info here!

Been on the 2015 pivot for three years now (5, 7 and 9m)
Over the years I've found it's better for me to stay dialed into my gear as long as I can instead of changing kites every season.
But after three years I'm ready for an upgrade and as I'm 80% strapless wave focussed I think the Slash is probably my best bet.

On the other hand; I really like to charge on my TT from time to time so don't want to give up too much in the jumping department.

I'm planning on buying new kites in Capetown next week when I'm there on vacation, and the shop owner there that I spoke to recommends 5m and 7m Slash and a 9m Pivot as a quiver.
Apparently most CT riders use this combo.

So for those of you lucky enough to have experienced both kites:
-Does this seem like a good combo to you?
-Is the 2019 pivot 9m good enough as (strapless) wave kite in low/intermediate winds?
-And is jumping on the slash in 7m and 5m rewarding enough to not long for another more jump dedicated kite? Any drawbacks to beware of?

For reference: my weight is 78 kg. I kite mainly cross/onshore winds in the Netherlands with the occasional kite trip abroad (Brazil, CT or Europe)
I use a Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and a Naish Mega 132cm
I was going to recommend the same quiver. The pivot is a bit more grunty than the slash, but slash as a high wind kite makes a lot of sense. Then go nuts jumping on the 9 Pivot. Just to be sure, the slash jumps well too, just not as aggressive.

Edit: I have the 9 pivot. I am considering getting the slash now that I am using my 7 slash that much and have an 11 pivot, but for sure the 9pivot is a great kite for strapless riding. I guess the biggest difference is kind what type of riding you do. If you like to send your kite around and use the power more, the 9 pivot has a slight edge, if you like to just park the kite and let it drift, then the 9 slash has the edge. For TT I think pivot is the better choice as the large kite.
Jumping on the slash is super fun. One of the advantages is that it feels very controllable even in gusty winds. The pivot feels more aggressive and more extreme to jump (not at all like a c kite or anything like that) but more like it wants to go...where the slash waits for you to decide when you want to.

User avatar
flying doctor
Medium Poster
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:21 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Naish Slash 2018 vs Naish Slash 2019

Postby flying doctor » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:39 pm

tautologies wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:51 pm
flying doctor wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:17 pm
I've been studying this thread because I'm considering the switch from Pivot to Slash.
Good to see all this info here!

Been on the 2015 pivot for three years now (5, 7 and 9m)
Over the years I've found it's better for me to stay dialed into my gear as long as I can instead of changing kites every season.
But after three years I'm ready for an upgrade and as I'm 80% strapless wave focussed I think the Slash is probably my best bet.

On the other hand; I really like to charge on my TT from time to time so don't want to give up too much in the jumping department.

I'm planning on buying new kites in Capetown next week when I'm there on vacation, and the shop owner there that I spoke to recommends 5m and 7m Slash and a 9m Pivot as a quiver.
Apparently most CT riders use this combo.

So for those of you lucky enough to have experienced both kites:
-Does this seem like a good combo to you?
-Is the 2019 pivot 9m good enough as (strapless) wave kite in low/intermediate winds?
-And is jumping on the slash in 7m and 5m rewarding enough to not long for another more jump dedicated kite? Any drawbacks to beware of?

For reference: my weight is 78 kg. I kite mainly cross/onshore winds in the Netherlands with the occasional kite trip abroad (Brazil, CT or Europe)
I use a Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and a Naish Mega 132cm
I was going to recommend the same quiver. The pivot is a bit more grunty than the slash, but slash as a high wind kite makes a lot of sense. Then go nuts jumping on the 9 Pivot. Just to be sure, the slash jumps well too, just not as aggressive.

Edit: I have the 9 pivot. I am considering getting the slash now that I am using my 7 slash that much and have an 11 pivot, but for sure the 9pivot is a great kite for strapless riding. I guess the biggest difference is kind what type of riding you do. If you like to send your kite around and use the power more, the 9 pivot has a slight edge, if you like to just park the kite and let it drift, then the 9 slash has the edge. For TT I think pivot is the better choice as the large kite.
Jumping on the slash is super fun. One of the advantages is that it feels very controllable even in gusty winds. The pivot feels more aggressive and more extreme to jump (not at all like a c kite or anything like that) but more like it wants to go...where the slash waits for you to decide when you want to.
Thanks for that taut, looks like I can't go wrong either way 😀

Usually I ride waves with onshore winds which requires some input to the kite to make it drift enough; sending it to 1 o clock before doing a top turn and back to 3 in the bottom turn. Not sure if any kite would drift well enough to just park and ride when the wind is cross/onshore but maybe the slash can do it with less input?

As far is jumping is concerned: I like some control, especially in high and gusty winds so seems right for me!

Any thoughts on kiteloops with the slash? Haven't been looping for ages but was thinking of reviving that old skill..

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 10186
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Naish Slash 2018 vs Naish Slash 2019

Postby tautologies » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:39 pm

flying doctor wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:39 pm
Thanks for that taut, looks like I can't go wrong either way 😀

Usually I ride waves with onshore winds which requires some input to the kite to make it drift enough; sending it to 1 o clock before doing a top turn and back to 3 in the bottom turn. Not sure if any kite would drift well enough to just park and ride when the wind is cross/onshore but maybe the slash can do it with less input?

As far is jumping is concerned: I like some control, especially in high and gusty winds so seems right for me!

Any thoughts on kiteloops with the slash? Haven't been looping for ages but was thinking of reviving that old skill..
I have done limited looping of the 7 slash. Feels very straight forward. I would prefer the pivot, which has more power. Note these days I stay away from powered loops, and definitely no mega anything for me.
Pivot can generate more pull depending on when you loop it. Slash loops fine, but might not have the last whip.

I know exactly what conditions you ride in :-) and the 7 slash is absolutely insane when it comes to drifting. It must be said tho that when I ride a 7 it is windy, and usually onshore to side on, and I've ridden pretty large wave right at the slash. I might set it up like you...its been a while since I had it out so this is partly from memory but as far as I remember the slash just went downwind with me. Test it out slowly.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], PrfctChaos and 9 guests

cron