Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Naish Slash 2018 vs Naish Slash 2019

Forum for kitesurfers
flying doctor
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish Slash 2018 vs Naish Slash 2019

Postby flying doctor » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:55 pm

Thanks again, really looking forward to do some testing and spending time with a new quiver, I'll report my findings back here..

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:51 pm

Just back from Capetown, good conditions to test my new pivot 9 and Slash 7 and 5.

The pivot 9 is a great upgrade for me coming from 2015 material regarding the top end; I now understand how Kevin uses this kite in such high winds. I managed to jump 15,5m myself (not quite Kevin yet) in winds gusting to 33 knots, always able to steer the kite to zenith without losing control. Such fun!

Another day I tested the slash 7 with my twintip and jumped just as high as with the pivot that day (around 13 meters but with one or two seconds less hangtime). The jumps with the slash provide less drama so I'll probably choose the pivot on twintip days.

Did some wavering with the pivot in moderate off shore winds at Platboom bay on a day with rare NW winds. Gusty offshore but the kite was stable and drifted quite nicely.

Using the 7 and 5 slash in waves was in another league though; I could let go of the bar on a lot of occasions and do some turns and the kites would just hover with me, really fantastic.

The pivot to me had this constant elastic type pull, i.e. always some grunt (tried a friend's 2019 pivot 5m and it felt the same).
The slash needs more imput to generate the same amount of power, though a small amount of movement is enough to instantly power up. It is more precise and razorlike in the air.

Both are great kites and I guess I would have been happy with a quiver of either but this combination suits what I need: massive jumps, even in high winds with the pivot and very intuitive waveriding with the slash. I had the slash 5 out in winds around 35 knots and it felt like it would be hard for me to ever be in a situation that makes it overpowered. Slash 7 in the same conditions was manageable as well but sometimes dragged me out of a wave.

All in all a great trip (kiting with dolphins and seals and watching the KOTA!) and happy with my new quiver!

I can recommend suntrax Blouberg where I bought the kites; Brian is really helpful, replying swiftly to my mails before the trip and letting me test the kites first without a problem. Great service!
These users thanked the author flying doctor for the post (total 2):
jonysan (Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:31 pm) • BudhaNl (Fri May 31, 2019 9:47 am)
Rating: 6.06%

riddim1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Spot X
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Naish, Firewire, Duotone, Lift

Postby riddim1 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:02 am

I finally had my 7m Slash out in some acceptional wind today 23-29 knots on my 5.1 FW Vader. I felt like this was the sweet spot with the kite at my weight (80kgs). I like to be powered when riding bay wind swell. I have to say that this kite ate up the gusts. Never pulled me off my edge and very controllable by sheeting out etc. Never been able to drift properly in cross shore wind but finally got a great opportunity today. Felt the kite really excelled at this. I thought I could handle the kite well for another 3-4 knots making it max out at 33-34-ish knots. That would be extreme though. I only had around an inch of de-power dialled in at 29 knots. Boosting was easy as reported in an earlier post. The windy conditions really didn’t affect my landing success rate adversely. Just sheet our and spot your landing. May get an opportunity to kite in 30+ knots tomorrow as Cyclone Oma is nearing the coast. Will have to borrow a mates 5m SST if it tips over 33 knots. I may have to consider a 5m Slash after this weekend 🤔

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Fri May 31, 2019 9:22 am

Am I correct in assuming Pivot 5m = Slash 6m regarding power? At the moment, I have 5-7-9 Pivots in my quiver with the 5 getting used only in high-wind tt sessions (think 40+ gusts to 50+), very rare situations. I am/want to move more to strapless wave.

What range can I expect from a 6m Slash, >28knots? I weigh about 82kg and ride a 5'2 Stallion.

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Fri May 31, 2019 9:48 am

BudhaNl wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:22 am
Am I correct in assuming Pivot 5m = Slash 6m regarding power? At the moment, I have 5-7-9 Pivots in my quiver with the 5 getting used only in high-wind tt sessions (think 40+ gusts to 50+), very rare situations. I am/want to move more to strapless wave.

What range can I expect from a 6m Slash, >25knots? I weigh about 82kg and ride a 5'2 Stallion.
Wish I could help you out but in the last months I haven't been able to use my 5m slash (no big wind days) and have used the slash 7m only a couple of times.
But with your quiver of Pivots I would say a 6m might make an excellent addition for strapless riding.

In the past week I was on the 7m slash in typical cross-onshore conditions, wind in the 25-30 knots range. The kite was just so comfortable being sent around and drifting. I could totally concentrate on riding the wave in the way I wanted to and the kite could handle anything necessary in terms of moving it, drifting it without unexpected powering up or losing tention on the lines.
It was the first time using it with 22m lines (before I used my 20m lines because they suited my 2015m pivots best). 22m seemed better in waves, and when I took out my twintip for a couple of jumps, hangtime was a lot better with the longer lines. Will try 24m lines soon..
It was a great session because everything came together so well, but it may just have been the sweet spot of the kite, unfortunately there haven't been too many really windy days here in the last months. I have been using the 9m pivot in waves quite a lot on lighter days and was impressed also because of the tight loops you can make keeping you in waves, not sure how that would work out with the slash because it loops in a wider arc.

Jumping strapless is somehow easier with the slash compared to the pivot, can't quite understand how but just like the drift that's the mojo in this kite :D

With your weight and a 6m I wouldn't worry too much about the top end, I guess the same reason it handles gusts so well is wat prevents it yanking you off your board when initiating turns in the waves even in high winds. I am 78kg and use a 5'2" vanguard.
These users thanked the author flying doctor for the post:
BudhaNl (Fri May 31, 2019 9:58 am)
Rating: 3.03%

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Fri May 31, 2019 9:58 am

Cheers kite doctor, thanks for a quick reply! We're kiting the same Dutch Northsea conditions so your insights are extra valuable.

Yesterday I was a little underpowered on the Pivot 7m but epic waves at the noordpier so a lot of fun!

I use 21m lines but am considering 3m extensions (both from Infexion) for a little more low-end.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Fri May 31, 2019 10:09 am

Slash 1m bigger than Pivot is what I would recommend and did for my own quiver. I had 11/8/6 Pivots, now I run 11/8 Pivot and 7/5 Slash (73 kg)
These users thanked the author Dirk for the post:
BudhaNl (Fri May 31, 2019 10:55 am)
Rating: 3.03%

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Fri May 31, 2019 8:40 pm

BudhaNl wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:58 am
Cheers kite doctor, thanks for a quick reply! We're kiting the same Dutch Northsea conditions so your insights are extra valuable.

Yesterday I was a little underpowered on the Pivot 7m but epic waves at the noordpier so a lot of fun!

I use 21m lines but am considering 3m extensions (both from Infexion) for a little more low-end.
Good to know! The North Sea rocks :thumb:
And yes: those typical cross onshore winds we get really suit the Slash. Let us know how it works out for you!

Return to “Kitesurfing”