Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Re: Casualty in Sicily

Postby Matteo V » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:25 pm

downunder wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:01 pm
.....The “religious” views are receipt for disaster.
downunder wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:42 am
....There is almost nothing to learn from many types of fatal accidents. This might be a surprise, but the accident is clearly that, nothing more.

downunder wrote:
.....but will I learn anything? Hardly. Because I know two of my injuries, resulting in fracture, were not NOT avoidable......
Care to elaborate on the circumstances of the injuries which you feel were unavoidable? Maybe start at the weather pattern for that time of year, forecast for that day and what the days before were like. I have not had any any unavoidable accidents so I am very curious as to how that would happen.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:41 pm

When the conditions are dangerous stormy insane with some waves you need straps... like here

For those who have never windsurfed you don't have to look :wink:

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby downunder » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:35 am

Matteo V wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:25 pm
downunder wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:01 pm
.....The “religious” views are receipt for disaster.
downunder wrote:
....There is almost nothing to learn from many types of fatal accidents. This might be a surprise, but the accident is clearly that, nothing more.

downunder wrote:
.....but will I learn anything? Hardly. Because I know two of my injuries, resulting in fracture, were not NOT avoidable......
Care to elaborate on the circumstances of the injuries which you feel were unavoidable? Maybe start at the weather pattern for that time of year, forecast for that day and what the days before were like. I have not had any any unavoidable accidents so I am very curious as to how that would happen.
As always you want to learn. And taking my words out of context.

Religiously advising someone that xwz kites are more safe is exactly that, one sided view. You are too smart to swallow that, so...

What weather pattern has to do with my foot slipping from strap and braking me ankle, have no idea.

Do I need to write a book about it? Will leave that to you.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Foil kites on the snow

Postby Matteo V » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:06 am

downunder wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:35 am
As always you want to learn. And taking my words out of context.
Ahem... Yes I do always want to learn. Pretty much the point of asking you to elaborate. And I am unsure where I have taken your words out of context. Could you maybe give it a go on explaining that one at least.

downunder wrote:
Religiously advising someone that xwz kites are more safe is exactly that, one sided view. You are too smart to swallow that, so...
"xyz" as in what? Size? Brand? Type? Construction? It does appear that I am not smart enough to decode what you are trying to say here. So could you elaborate?

downunder wrote:
What weather pattern has to do with my foot slipping from strap and braking me ankle, have no idea.
I have no idea either since I was not there. Was it gusty and yanking you around? Odd direction wind with creating chop at an unusual angle? Or are you just trying to say that you were lacking the level of awareness required to assess the failure? That has happened to me many a time kiting, but I can look back on every single one of those instances and be positive that more focus on what I was doing would have prevented the failure. In situations where I was fully focused but still had a failure, I can attribute the failure to the conditions.

downunder wrote:
Do I need to write a book about it? Will leave that to you.
My dear downsy, I simply would like to give you the opportunity to explain your views. I am interested and you were correct that I do want to learn.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:32 am

Why do you think everyone is keen to elaborate? Like you do most of the time. How is kiting going for you, any new body armor on?

Looks like you are very concerned about my views and edissecting everything I write. What am I to you, a patient? Pi.s off from my back please...

Ps

Btw, your explanation of foot slipping from the straps is funniest ever. How about the stars aligned, or did not put the foot properly?
As always, matty is trying to be smart. Luckily, the pics posted by you reviled the level of kiting. A lot of this is due to overthinking. Sorry to say, but youll never be a competitive rider. Not even close.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: Ozone, Core

Postby deniska » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:56 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:02 pm

Interesting and you should know because you take your two Core bars in really high winds
With my two older version bars..... each always attached to their own Core kite...they are used in winds up to 24 kn...so no sand blowing in it to jam anything
What i really trust " in high winds" are my North Trust bars ( got 5 of them attached to 5 North kites ) with their great push way mechanical system
Not a big fan of the Core steel pin looped over a rope system....so i do see your good points in more dangerous conditions
I also have an old sensor bar (I only use it to practice boardoffs/roatations while hung on a tree) and that bar will never jam under the same circumstances.
The soft safety line freely passes through the rotator assembly, the hole is bigger and much harder to jam.
Now the new plastic line, takes some pulling even when clean and warm. Of course it gets stiffer at 0 degrees C and much easier to jam with sand as the tube is narrower, longer and is not a straight shape. The other guy, posted a picture of a cut on PU line recently. Chances are that it happened when a few grains of sand stuck between the line and metal tube.
Great example of how new bar is actually less safe than the previous version.. just one of them. I posted another one a month ago and I can do a few more...

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Foil kites on the snow

Postby Matteo V » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:43 pm

downunder wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:32 am
Why do you think everyone is keen to elaborate? Like you do most of the time.
Ummm..... This is a forum. I do not know why anyone would come here other than to learn, help others by sharing their views and experiences, or present their solutions to problems common in kiteboarding.

Am I missing something? Could there possibly be some forum users here to simply have their beliefs affirmed, but never challenged?

downunder wrote:
How is kiting going for you, any new body armor on?
I do own an impact vest, but I have not worn it for years. I do not really understand you mentioning this. I do wear a helmet and have since windsurfing. I also wear booties for warmth, rocks and sea life, and for broken glass. Is that body armor to you? And are you suggesting that there may be a danger to wearing booties and a helmet that I should be concerned with?

downunder wrote:
.....your explanation of foot slipping from the straps is funniest ever......
I don't think I explained your experience. Nor could I. I was not there. I simply prompted you to examine some things that you may not have considered, though I would not make the assertion that those things were the cause of your accident. I was truly hoping you would share.

downunder wrote:
Looks like you are very concerned about my views and edissecting everything I write. What am I to you, a patient? Pi.s off from my back please...
Are sure you won't share more? Again, we are talking about accidents here. And your experience is very valuable to those of us who are sure we will learn from you contributing a more in depth explanation here.

prop_joe
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: twin tips
Has thanked: 0

Postby prop_joe » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:43 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:43 pm

Am I missing something?
Sense of humour, ability to stfu.
These users thanked the author prop_joe for the post:
or6 (Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:00 pm)
Rating: 10%

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Foil kites on the snow

Postby Matteo V » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:54 pm

prop_joe wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:43 pm
So would you answer in the affirmative to my question "Could there possibly be some forum users here to simply have their beliefs affirmed, but never challenged?"

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:27 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:54 pm
prop_joe wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:43 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:43 pm

Am I missing something?
So would you answer in the affirmative to my question "Could there possibly be some forum users here to simply have their beliefs affirmed, but never challenged?"
Evidently.

Return to “Kitesurfing”