SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why two regular shaped twintips?

Postby SolarSet » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:29 am

Smaller board will deal better in choppy water, Another thing with smaller board is that it should provide softer landing from high jumps as it sink more while hitting water but I never complain from landing on larger board myself.
Foil is great idea but you have to invest quite a lot of money and time, just a board for foiling will cost twice as much TT board, plus you have to but hydrofoil wing which is at least $600 new.

andrewjohn
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby andrewjohn » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:07 am

I learnt on a big wide old lost cause board. 140x48. This is now my low wind board and can ride from 8 knts. My normal board is 135x40.
Even though the lost cause is not long, it’s all about the width. Probably drops the low end of each kite by 3-4 knts.
With a 17m and a big wide board there’s no need for a foil, which in my case would have limited use, compared to the amount of times I could get out on a TT.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:04 am

hmmm the opposite I thought was the case. the larger boards do much better in chop because they can bridge two pieces of chop. A small board hits every bit of it. I could be wrong.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:42 am

I initially thought the same but I have two NHP board one 138x42 and second 143x48, smaller board is absorbing choppy water way better, both boards have similar flex,
Smaller board will cut through chop while larger board with higher surface area will stay more on top choppy water making ride far less comfortable.
I think that's why it is easier to hold edge when overpowered as board edge is submerged more on smaller board than larger,

only plus side of larger board is in LW capabilities and some basic tricks like transitions are easier on larger board

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:01 pm

2 twin tips - 140 and 136 cf rpt pro. Totally different feel to these boards. The 140 for 12 -20 and 136 above 20 or so. The 140 has better low end but when the wind picks up it gets bouncy and landings from hot loops are harsh. The 136 is much smoother and the landings at speed are in total control. If you're just mowing the lawn maybe you wouldn't notice, but if you're really pushing it then it makes all the difference in the world. Reminds me of choosing kite sizes, you can get away with running a 12 in 25 knots but the trade offs are huge unless you're just survival kiting, or to lazy to come in and re-rig.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:07 pm

Haha you said one surfboard

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:35 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:22 am
two TT's, no.

One tt, one surfboard, one foil, and a shit load of kites.
tautologies wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:07 pm
I'll up the ante!

NO TT! Just one surfboard, with a foil to go on that surfboard in light wind conditions. > Rider weight 100kg+, 3.5m - 13.5m kite range (no 17m), LF KiteFish "Quadmod", strapped 95% of the time. And yes, I have ridden a 3.5m kite with it, as well as been screamin past some intermediate hydrofoilers on my 13.5m with out the hydrofoil on my board. But for rails, I have to use....... .................................. the same board as seen below.

NErail1.jpg
NErail2.jpg
NErail3.jpg
NErail4.jpg
NErail5.jpg

For a lighter weight rider less than 90kg, the Kitefish is more of a light wind board while at the same time being too heavy. But for my weight, it is the perfect combination of "do everything" from waves to rails.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:10 pm

I just re-read the OP and it definitely says TT..............?

I have/had a bunch of TT's and the experience between say a 140 C/F Elite and a 132 xcaliber is very different.
Sizes and style of board all play a part.
I struggle to stay up wind in a light breeze with the 132 but in a blow, it is a very different board. The different characteristics make it exciting to ride in some wind.
I could just stick with the 140 in all winds it would a good job, but I'd be missing out.

To justify the spend, it would be ideal to try some boards out, to see what size and style works for you.

It's not just about size.

Jukka wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:07 am
I'm entertaining a thought of getting a second smaller twintip.

A question for those that have two different size non-door TTs that are both in regular use.
Why do you have the smaller board and what are the benefits of riding it in your experience? Just as an example 136x41 and 144x43 or something like that...
...instead of just riding only the larger one all the time?

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:30 am

badgb21 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:10 pm
I just re-read the OP and it definitely says TT..............?
That's the thing about an open forum - you get some views that come from "outside the box" that the original question was stuck in.

I once thought the way the OP did. But yes, the OP should stay with a TT for now. Sometime in the future, expanding the OP's horizons could do for them what it did for me.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:33 am

tautologies wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:07 pm
My bad! I meant at least one :-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”