Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Core kites and kiteboarding industry sales this year

Postby Matteo V » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:07 pm

james wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:09 am
The margins were so good you could retire 7 years out of uni? Jeez and you think the kite game is run by the rich and powerful. ;-)

Fair play you wanted to get off the wheel,
No, I intended the part about me being a bum to allude to my income status, not just available time to kite. Sorry you did not get that, but I get flak here for being too detailed. So in comparison to me, those in the kite industry such as MFG's and their investors or distributors - are rich, I am in poverty. Compared to team riders and some trying to start up a retail shop relying on the trickle down of those above, I could be in the same boat a those people depending on how they are doing or how much the MFG pays them. Compared to the per capita annual income the world over - I am actually rich. Retired? No. Pretty much no retirement for me. Just work till I can't kite anymore. Where do you fit?

james wrote:
....not sure why everyone else has to run to your tune though?
NEVER EVER have I had the attitude that anyone should do what I am doing. I always warn against that. My advice is to try different things and definitely try what I (or others) are doing. DO ONLY WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY IN YOUR PURSUITS AND DOES NOT HINDER OTHERS! DO NOT FOLLOW THE HYPE > it is a trap in most cases. Only you can you make your own decision. But also be wary of making a decision that traps you in that decision. Make decisions that give you options, not brick walls to go up against. And when you make a decision, go with it while questioning it at the same time. It takes some brain power to do both, but if you can do it, it opens up future options of greater opportunity. If you can keep this "high level outlook", you also have to add to it the willingness to change. That is as far as I have gone. I am sure there is more. Or, I could be doing it wrong.

james wrote:
Rabble on happily, just try and tone down the conspiracy rubbish a touch as it tends to get in the way of the points you are trying to make.
And here is why I had to reply to your post even though it is so far off topic - like most of my off topic reply's. Where do you get that I am claiming a conspiracy??? This stuff is how COREporations work!!! COREporate execs down to peons admit this. Again, that is why Graeme F is so nice to have here. He lets slip confirmation of the reality that is COREporate Kiteboarding.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Ludmil » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:12 pm

Hey Matteo, just for your information (don't bother to answer) that WAS an interesting thread.
L.

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Postby CaptainCore » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:54 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:07 pm
COREporate execs down to peons admit this. Again, that is why the legend that is Graeme F is so nice to have here. He lets slip confirmation of the reality that is COREporate Kiteboarding.
For a Seppo, you really don't have a grasp of the fundamentals of capitalism do you? You're clearly not as stupid a guy as you come across as. You have as good a command of the Queens English as we can expect from colonials. Some precise delineation of your points gives an illusion of intelligence, but then you make stupid assertions like that.

Kitesurfing is too small a businees to attract the corporate bean counters, true B&M and maybe the new North assault on us are funded by high finance, but nobody else is, there is a man called Naish behind the Naish brand, Pete Cabrinha is still the driving force behind his outfit, Rafael Salles runs F1, Bernie Hiss runs Core, these guys are all kitesurfers. Yes they need financial backing, but they are not corporate hacks with investors and shareholders calling the tune. You are so 'off base' is it? The yank expression based on their girlie rounders game, for being wrong?

It's a shame you've eshewed the pursuit of wealth, a little wealth doesn't hurt, it helps to broaden your outlook, allows you to travel, kite some other spots, meet some of us infidels who don't believe the word of God. Come to realise the land of the free, home of the brave, is in fact policed by racist facists, constrained by a work ethic that many countries would rise up in rebellion against and generally not quite as free a country as many other places in the world are.

Travel is your friend, travel is enlightenment, but as a word of caution.. Don't mention Trump. :lol:

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:39 pm

Well said Matteo V, as a person who has emerged out the other end of the work grind, raising family, paying mortgage etc I appreciate your thoughtful musings

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:21 pm

completely untrue

Cabrinha kiteboarding - shriro group

North Kiteboarding - oakley capital

Takoon - Bic

They are corporate companies that deal with hundreds of millions of dollars, is some cases billions.Welcome to corporate kiteboarding for those of you that were unaware and had bought the "story" .

Read about surfstitch to see how a story behind a corporate company can sell a dream with no substance.. 1/2 billion dollars lost overnight. Fascinating stuff.

olympic kitebiarding is a shareholders dream, whatever the long term/ short term effect... buy lies, rewritten history, whatever it takes... profit from it..

sms-kite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Favorite Beaches: Le semnoz for snowkiting
Style: a l'arrache
Gear: Sup'air Takoon
Brand Affiliation: a lot

Postby sms-kite » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:11 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:21 pm
completely untrue

Cabrinha kiteboarding - shriro group

North Kiteboarding - oakley capital

Takoon - Bic

Yesss great...

Your informations are really top, Bic sports sold takoon may be 5 or 7 years ago... lol

And it is not because Takoon was in Bic Sport, that takoon have hundread of millions of dollars

So the last years, Takoon was drive by a short team...

But of course you see the big difference between the billion of dollars from Bic and the short team... It so easely to see...

Cheers

Norbert

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:11 pm

fair enough, i didnt know they sold takoon... they looked kind of dead online

so north turnover about 1/2 billion dollars a year

shriro capitalization of over 100 million dollars

That would make them corporation controlled.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:24 am

For the sake of balance:

Core kites are actually one of the cheaper full RRP brands in the UK at the moment (comparison of similar style kites Cab FX, Airush Union, Naish Dash, North Dice against the Core Nexus). With the weak currency at the moment why not head over to the UK and take a quiver home if the kites are too expensive in your home market?

Someone at Core must be doing a good job in marketing if they can make people think that they are the premium brand when undercutting the competition (sometimes by as much as 8-9% <cough> Cabrinha FX).I'm guessing this is where the thing about nobody paying full price for some brands comes in.

Disclaimer: I don't own any Core kites and have never owned any core kites - I do fancy trying the Nexus at some point though.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:01 am

It's very annoying when for example Cabrinha sales their kites in middle of season with 40% off, as mentioned before you buy kite 20% off you can easily negotiate here in Poland at the beginning of season and then 3 months later same kite is 40%, you lose 20% just because you had kite few months earlier. Fortunately kites don't change much these days so you better off just buying previous year model instead unless you love new colors of kites.
I much rather if they lower their price in the first place and don't sale it later with huge discount but the way marketing work people wouldn't buy something cheaper as they would think cheaper=lower quality, that's the reason for hype with expensive kite brands.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:00 pm

SolarSet wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:01 am
It's very annoying when for example Cabrinha sales their kites in middle of season with 40% off, as mentioned before you buy kite 20% off you can easily negotiate here in Poland at the beginning of season and then 3 months later same kite is 40%, you lose 20% just because you had kite few months earlier. Fortunately kites don't change much these days so you better off just buying previous year model instead unless you love new colors of kites.
I much rather if they lower their price in the first place and don't sale it later with huge discount but the way marketing work people wouldn't buy something cheaper as they would think cheaper=lower quality, that's the reason for hype with expensive kite brands.
It must suck to only get paid from your job once a year! - Just kidding.

So the explanation of this one is exceedingly simple, but I will stretch it out to over 500 words in an effort to weed out those with short attention spans.

COREporations want to sell their product for the most money possible. But there is an upper limit set by.......not the biggest cheap skate.....not the cheapo's in the middle.....and certainly not the billionaire (not plural for a reason) at the top. The upper limit is set by a combination of what your average kiter can pay for the kite, and which kiters will (or will not) target your brand for purchase. Given cost of production is pretty much the same within specific marketing strategies, pricing is typically similar. The "holy grail" of all COREporations is to have an advertising/social media department that can create a demand via "hype". This means that by changing perception, a COREporation can keep or give its investors a larger profit on the initial/continued investment. This can all be done without a superior product, and often times an inferior product, while still setting a higher price for said product. And higher rate of return can attract more investment, or just plain let the owners buy a Bently instead of a Fiat.

Within each annual sales cycle, the most willing and capable of paying a high price, are the ones who will buy at the initial MSRP price. MSRP actually is an acronym for Manufactures Suggfested Retail Price, but I call it Maximum Supposed Retarded Purchaseprice (I apologize for offending any of the differently abled out there). And actually, I purchased my first kites at that level. Then I learned that I did not receive any customer support from either the most expensive brands, nor the cheaper brands. So then I started to hang back, be patient, and wait for sales or used gear to come up for a much lower price.

But again, those COREporations still want to get the most money out of each customer. So they set a high price at the beginning to snare those who:

1. Like the status of being the first to have a new year/model on the beach and are willing to pay extra for that privilege.
2. Like to flaunt that they have enough money to pay the most for a kite.
3. Still believe that the "new year/model" is better than last year (if that was true we would have kites that turned so fast they would magically disappear, then reappear on the other side of the window)

There is a premium for the above attitude - you are going to pay for it!

However, sensible kiters are typically more patient and wait to purchase a new kite for lots of reasons.

1. There is no reason to dump full retail on something that expensive with that much markup.
2. Their current kites still work fine and they are not looking for "status" that a new or extremely expensive kite gives you - they are just good kiters.
3. They want to wait till the new kites are "proven" to work well, not have any control/feel issues, and not have any defects.

In a free market, we are all able to choose where we want to be. Heck, maybe someday kite companies will come up with internal financing for more expensive kites. Think of it, "This kite is so awesome and expensive, I had to get a loan to buy it!". How cool would you be if you could say that on the beach.......and the chicks.....the chicks! You could get them without even knowing how to kite, just like cars! (sarcasm - for ESL)

Return to “Kitesurfing”