Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Please measure your line lengths!

forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1432
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Noviomagus Reginorum
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Please measure your line lengths!

Postby iriejohn » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:00 pm

evan wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:35 am
Another variable: bridle length. That can also add up to several meters in line length between different brands and model kites.
Some have an almost direct connection to steering line pigtails on the kite where others have really long bridles.

So comparing a short bridled kite on a 23m ozone bar to one with long bridles on a 23m Slingshot bar gives maybe almost 4m difference.

I am surprised that this isn't common knowledge, especially for the ones making reviews because there is a huge difference in feeling between 23 or 27m lines.
And it is the length from your harness to the center strut that matters when comparing kites, not only the length of the steering lines...
I am surprised that you mis-read my initial post where it was made clear that I was in fact comparing like with like.

And as I said in the 6th post of this thread:
iriejohn wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:04 am
Wish I'd known that before getting Ozone 23m lines because Ozone 25m lines are nearer in length to Slingshot 23m lines which is what my brian (sic) is dialled into with my Enduros. Live and learn.
hth

mmeyers12
Medium Poster
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:45 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: I wish I had a local beach....
Style: Freeride, Waves, Hydrofoil
Gear: 13m Drifter
10m Reo
8m Catalyst (Enduro)
6m Cabo
4.5m RPM
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Please measure your line lengths!

Postby mmeyers12 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:25 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:04 am
Wish I'd known that before getting Ozone 23m lines because Ozone 25m lines are nearer in length to Slingshot 23m lines which is what my brian (sic) is dialled into with my Enduros. Live and learn.

Dude Ozone should absolutely switch the lines for you if you paid full price for the lines. Send them a message explaining what happened. Unless they have very clearly specified how their line lengths are measured, I believe they should be obligated to send you the replacement lines.

On another note, I have also flown the 2013 catalyst on smaller line lengths and it is totally not the same. That thing was meant to be flown on the "25m" ozone lines.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1432
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Noviomagus Reginorum
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Please measure your line lengths!

Postby iriejohn » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:14 pm

mmeyers12 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:25 pm
iriejohn wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:04 am
Wish I'd known that before getting Ozone 23m lines because Ozone 25m lines are nearer in length to Slingshot 23m lines which is what my brian (sic) is dialled into with my Enduros. Live and learn.
Dude Ozone should absolutely switch the lines for you if you paid full price for the lines. Send them a message explaining what happened. Unless they have very clearly specified how their line lengths are measured, I believe they should be obligated to send you the replacement lines.
Ozone line lengths are correctly described, it is Slingshot who are incorrectly describing their line lengths.
On another note, I have also flown the 2013 catalyst on smaller line lengths and it is totally not the same. That thing was meant to be flown on the "25m" ozone lines.
Neither are the Enduros.

mmeyers12
Medium Poster
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:45 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: I wish I had a local beach....
Style: Freeride, Waves, Hydrofoil
Gear: 13m Drifter
10m Reo
8m Catalyst (Enduro)
6m Cabo
4.5m RPM
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Please measure your line lengths!

Postby mmeyers12 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:35 am

iriejohn wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:14 pm
Ozone line lengths are correctly described, it is Slingshot who are incorrectly describing their line lengths.
I think "correct" is relative here. I would prefer to know the length of lines from end of leader lines to pigtails. For example, perhaps I will choose to put slingshot lines on an ozone bar. In this case, I dont care about the lengths of the leader lines on the slingshot bar.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1432
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Noviomagus Reginorum
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Please measure your line lengths!

Postby iriejohn » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:15 am

mmeyers12 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:35 am
iriejohn wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:14 pm
Ozone line lengths are correctly described, it is Slingshot who are incorrectly describing their line lengths.
I think "correct" is relative here. I would prefer to know the length of lines from end of leader lines to pigtails. For example, perhaps I will choose to put slingshot lines on an ozone bar. In this case, I dont care about the lengths of the leader lines on the slingshot bar.
Given that there are no standards for leader line length or centre line lengths how does that help?

evan
Frequent Poster
Posts: 388
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:48 pm
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Moses Comet 111 2018
Peter Lynn Aero
Brand Affiliation: Infexion
Peter Lynn
Moses
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 10 times
Contact:

Re: Please measure your line lengths!

Postby evan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:33 am

mmeyers12 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:35 am
iriejohn wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:14 pm
Ozone line lengths are correctly described, it is Slingshot who are incorrectly describing their line lengths.
I think "correct" is relative here. I would prefer to know the length of lines from end of leader lines to pigtails. For example, perhaps I will choose to put slingshot lines on an ozone bar. In this case, I dont care about the lengths of the leader lines on the slingshot bar.
You know that Slingshot power lines are 65cm longer than the steering lines? So 23.65m power lines and 23m steering lines and you say that calling that 23m lines is correct?

Talking about the line length including leaders etc is the only way to compare bars. Unless brands are being less obscure about details like this.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1432
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Noviomagus Reginorum
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Please measure your line lengths!

Postby iriejohn » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:53 am

Just measured Slingshot (2016) bar leader lines, they are about 30cm. Therefore the Slingshot so-called 23m line set steering lines are about 24.6m - 0.3m = 24.3m

Question: So why the extra 1.3m?

Answer: It's an easy way to make Slingshot kites "more powerful".

Any other answers?

Edit: Just measured Ozone leader lines: ~ 70cm. Looks like Ozone steering and centre lines are all the same length so will measure them tomorrow.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Bladesurfer, Google [Bot], Jukka, TomW and 9 guests

cron