Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Drysuit With Socks

Forum for kitesurfers
KiterDon
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Presqu'ile Provincial Park
Sandbanks Provincial Park
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras, Bahia Salinas, Acadian Islands, San Blas Islands, Punta Chame, Large Frozen Lakes (Snowkiting)
Style: Freestyle - HF, TT, SB +Snowkiting
Gear: Lot's - no particular brand. Depends on the condition...
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Drysuit With Socks

Postby KiterDon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:54 pm

Does anybody use an Ocean Rodeo or other brand of drysuit with attached socks?

I am considering buying a drysuit for use kiting and coldwater paddling. The attached sock feature is appealing for paddling since I would be walking in the suit a fair bit. I think boots could be worn over the socks in this application. Does anyone use a drysuit with the attached socks kiting? If so do you uses a "surf-shoe" to protect the socks? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Re: Drysuit With Socks

Postby matth » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:11 pm

I have never had them and have always used ankle seals and winter booties with great success. I could be wrong because I have never used them , but it seems to me that the bunching and bulkiness inside my booties would be annoying and maybe even lose some feel....

zig zag
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cook St Victoria BC Canada
Favorite Beaches: Nitinat Lake, Cook St
Style: Free
Gear: 5/7/9.5/12 Prodigy, 8 Razor
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo
Has thanked: 0

Postby zig zag » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:59 pm

for kiteboarding ankle seals are best to get a better feel underfoot with only booties...for sup paddling definitely socks and water shoes are best...

depends how much of either you will be doing in the suit.. I've sailed with the sock feature and it sure keeps the feet toasty..

buy and try with the socks then return it if you're unsatisfied..

roninXpl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sopot, Poland
Gear: Core XR5 11m+9m, XR4 7m, Sensor 2S Pro, Carved Imperator VI, NHP Carbon Split, Airush Ultra II 12m, FS Speed2 13m.

Postby roninXpl » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:18 pm

I own OR Ignite with socks.
Booties must be worn on the socks as protection and because they are very loose.
Socks & boots are not an issue for me - I ride TT in waves, jump with them without any issue.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:45 pm

I have the OR Soul without socks and a friend that has them with socks. Next time he says he is getting them without socks.
As mentioned get a good high cut cold water boot and you will be warm.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:08 am

Used both types,
for me socks are great for diving, but not for any sort of board sport like windsurfing/kitesurfing,even dinghy sailing was more comfortable with ankle seals and thin booties, the sock type tend to bunch up under your feet and feel really awful, also you need to fit an oversized bootie over them which feels sloppy and gives a sloppy unconnected feel.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:18 pm

I have been usign a Gul Drysuit with latex socks for kiteboarding for 10 years. The suit as some minor leaks after all these years but it's still ok. I would not go out in near freezing temparature without the socks it's just so great to go in the water chest deep and be completely dry with wool socks on your feet. I found some Gul 5mm booties that are thin enough to fit over the latex socks really well and they fit good in my footstraps. It's great for paddling in a kayak too because your feet get cold fast on an open top but with a closed deck and skirt it's not too bad without them!

BillyKP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Georgian Bay
Favorite Beaches: Wasaga, Lake Simcoe, Cuba
Style: freestyle
Gear: OceanRodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby BillyKP » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:24 pm

I have used both types of OR suits, Soul and Ignite. The comments here are legit about bulkiness under the gortex sock. At first I was not a fan, and just recently I went back to using the ankle seal with just the neoprene bootie... and ya know what...didn't like it as much I thought I would. I'm actually preferring the Ignite combination of a nice warm wool sock inside, gortex soft sock bootie and then a 5mm bootie. This is for very cold weather usage though like 12 celsius and below. Warmer days 15-22 degrees, preference is for bare foot against neoprene boot. It's like many things in kiteboarding, learning ways to adjust and adapt to new and different equipment can take some time, trial and error. Also with the Ignite there is no "struggle" to get foot in and out of suit like there is with a tight ankle seal.

roninXpl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sopot, Poland
Gear: Core XR5 11m+9m, XR4 7m, Sensor 2S Pro, Carved Imperator VI, NHP Carbon Split, Airush Ultra II 12m, FS Speed2 13m.

Postby roninXpl » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:45 pm

I'm going for Ignite because of the pee-zip so the socks come with it automatically :)
I agree with nice wool socks (or other tech-socks that draw moisture away from the skin) + good neoprene boots - I was using 7mm O'Neil (bought before the suit) and then some 5mm and now 6mm Mystic Vulcanic. For TT it works great.
However this season I cannot get used to the overall bulkiness of the suit :/ Maybe I notice the difference too much or something but it's not fun anymore to ride in the suit…

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:15 am

For me, absolutely no doubt, socks is the way!

Having used drysuits since the 80s windsurfing, and still do when really cold.

It is SO much warmer when changing and in general when rigging, and not getting your feet wet at all, when really cold like here in Scandinavia in the winter.

I use 3 mm Atan shoes/boots both with wetsuit and drysuit, no need for thicker even when somewhat below the freezing point - as the latex socks where you wear your own socks underneath, is a million times warmer than any thick boot IMO.
AND you got loads of "barefoot feel" too, so much much better IMO.

I can use the same 3 mm Atan boots both without socks (wetsuit) and with socks in a drysuit, great :thumb:

Sorry, it might just be me, but I see absolutely no reason to use a drysuit, if you dont use socks - then I would prefer a good thick warm wetsuit instead if I could not wear socks :naughty:

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”